What is a good size for a BOB? recommendations

I mean, the measurements don't mean allot to me when shopping on line.

One, I am a big guy and I can carry a load.

I know largest isn't necessary when packed correctly but I want to make sure I have enough room to get the job done.

Examples

Between 2 like this.

Capacity: 30L; Dimensions: approx. 42x20x25cm (16.5"x8.0"x9.8")

Capacity: 50L; Dimensions: approx. 51x29x28cm (20.1"x11.4"x11.1")

I can tell the second one is clearly bigger.

What I am wondering if someone can show me some bags that are about the right size and perhaps you might even have some links to some good ones.
I don't have to have the most expensive by any means, just built well and have good storage.

Right now, sad to say my only BOB is an old supply army backpack I have had for years. Not sure what they are called but one large pouch(or compartment) and shoulder straps. I believe it is a Army Surplus Duffle Bag, load at the top. Edited by vontar
Here's my advice: decide what purpose the BOB will serve (just get you home frame work, get you from home to a buddy's house, live in the woods for a week, etc.). Next decide what all you will need for that purpose and make a list. Then actually assemble everything on the list. Put it all in your A bag and carry it around for a while to make see if there are some items you want to cut to save weight.

Once you know exactly what will go in the bag (like Garufa said) you can choose the right size.
Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno the right size for a BOB, but the backpacking packs of "reputable brands" give cubic inch figures in addition to raw dimensions and number of pockets.

A man heading out into the woods for more than two or three days will commonly tote a pack in the 5000+ cubic inch size. Campmor isn't the cheapest place to go looking for that kind of thang, or the most expensive either. Here is a "farily inexpensive" big pack--

[url="http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___90321"]http://www.campmor.c...Product___90321[/url]

Most folks like internal frame packs rather than old-style external frame packs. There are good pads on the back, firmed up with aluminum or composite struts buried in the padding. And real comfortable hip belts, and a chest strap. The hip belt carries more weight than the shoulder straps if the pack is sized and fitted properly, so it doesn't work the shoulders so hard. They tend to be made of nylon that looks "flimsy thin" but are fairly strong and light.

They list a spec "torso length" to aid fitting. The pack rides better if you measure your dimensions and get a pack that matches.

Just because you have a giant pack doesn't mean you have to load it full-up with bricks, but since they will "strap down" real compact if half empty, I figger toting a half-empty pack that is "too big" is better than having a pack too small. :)

Some of em come with auxilary fanny packs or even packs the size of a day pack, that will un-clip from the big pack, if you need to park the big pack somewhere and make a day or two quick side trip.

If you figure you might do some serious walking with a heavy pack, buy a couple of good collapsible aluminum walking poles even if they do look embarrassingly wussy. If you end up carrying one of those monsters on rough ground all day, if you use the poles, your arms carry almost as much burden as your legs, and four points on the ground helps avoid tumbles.

Edited by Lester Weevils
First of all, if you are planning on carrying gear, food and water for two people, then you need two packs and each pack should have all the needs for the person who is carrying it. Second, where are you trying to get too and how long will it take you to walk there? From that, you can figure out how much food and water you will have to carry with you. Mine is set up for 72 hours and I call it a Get Home Bag. It's just in 3600 cu in range.
Moped, you are right on 2 packs. I don't expect my wife to be able to carry much. I had a plan for a second smaller pack for her.

Looking over what I have done in the past, has really been a Get Home Back.

I like some of what Lester pointed out and I do believe having a larger then I need pack even if I don't need all the extra room is a good idea. (better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it).

I have been looking over routes if I had to travel by foot and figuring time. I would really need to establish a cache along the way or live off the land to get to where I would really want to get too.

(on top of all that, I really need to get in better shape.) Lose 20 pounds and it would be easier to carry 20 pounds. Edited by vontar
  • Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

Vontar, I can offhand think of at least 10 members here who know 100 times more than me on this topic, so please take comments with a grain of salt. Backpacking is a different skill set than the "slightly theoretical" end of the world survival topic, but it would seem the skill sets would have to intersect somewhat. There are some big "backpackers encyclopedia" type thick books that can be real interesting reads to get ideas. I have one, can't find it at the moment, that was written by a fella who supposedly had solo backpacked many wilderness mountain ranges in the world, including desert and snow, but no jungle.

It is easy to get be distracted from the forest by the trees. A woodworker who spends more time looking for new tools than practicing with what he has, etc. Though the author cautioned about getting distracted by minutia of equipment when "thats not the point", maybe half his book reads like equipment advertisements, though I don't think that was his intention. Man is a tool-using animal and so the tools get discussed.

The weight you tote can be prioritized. Some fellas will carry a light weight tarp and a few tent stakes, and use the hiking poles to make a tent, saving on toting a tent at the expense of "not quite as comfortable" in the rain. If you want to carry some heavy ammo, similar sacrifices might be made to compensate for the weight of the ammo. The lighter weight gear is generally lots more expensive. A two-person lightweight tent is only big enough for two people if you are "real good friends" with the tent mate and you don't spend much time in the tent except for sleeping. :) There is a small light "bivy tent" that can keep you pretty dry but is just barely big enough for one guy to crawl inside.

Water bladders in the pack seem a good idea. You can drink without unpacking anything and the bladder gets flatter as you expend the water.

Years ago when I was shopping for a big pack, ended up buying a Cabelas-brand pack that seemed "a little better bargain" than most. At that time lots of the better packs were made in india but dunno where they are made nowadays. Mine is not identical, but kinda similar to this Cabelas pack, 6100 cu in-- [url="http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-XPG-Ridgeline-100-Liter-Pack/1336432.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D1348466&categoryIds=104795280%7C104758380%7C104199480&WTz_l=RI%3BIK-580591"]http://www.cabelas.c..._l=RI;IK-580591[/url]

I've used it some and when neice went on a college graduation 2 week european tour, she carried my pack stuffed to the gills and it came back none the worse for wear. Niece is a tiny little slip of a pretty girl, but she is wiry and athletic, went to college on a soccer scholarship. She didn't have any trouble at all toting that pack stuffed to the gills, though the dang thing was almost as big as she is. :)

• 4 weeks later...

The ALICE pack is a good pack. I backpacked out one for years. My first suggestion is to get the upgrade shoulder pads for it, add side release buckles to the flap cinch straps(makes getting into the pack much easier), get a frame if it doesn't have one and a couple of bungie cords with hooks(to compress the pack to the frame).

Guest cardcutter
Well, right or wrong I finally made up my mine.  I am going with an Alice Pack and Frame.

Good bad or Ugly,

I agree.I have ahd one for years.

They are good first packs and rugged as hell.  They are a bit on the heavy side and they carry a lot of the weight on the shoulders, which can get uncomfortable.  You should be able to get a nice used large ALICE for under $40 and a new one for under $60.  A good hiking backpack will start at about twice that, but if you get it set up for body, it will be a lot more comfortable to walk with.  I really suggest that you consider this with your wife.  If you get her a good commercially available pack like a Kelty, Osprey or ALPS it will be a lot more comfortable on her than an ALICE will and she will be able to carry more weight.  I'd go with an internal frame pack with a good padded waist belt.

Moped

Yea, I have been considering thins like that for my wife. 

Heck, I even considered the weight of the Alice for myself, it's 5-6 pounds is that much less I will be able to carry in supplies so I am starting out with a weight deficit which means I will have to very carefully consider every item.

Going though my old get home bag  and I already know 90 percent of those items just will not do.

After I get my pack setup, I plan to take my 3 day pack and head out for at least 2 days as a test this spring.

( have a small medical issue with my feet right now I am trying to take care of first)  (Feet, very important)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest kvfd4026

I have found my Kelty Pawnee 3300 to serve me well on numerous backcountry camping trips. This type pack tends to have a little more technology and weight carrying distribution than some of the "tactical" manufactures. If interested, you may want to take a look at multiple lightweight trekking videos on youtube, many people have posted item by item reviews of their packs; great for minimizing weight. Also, water and ammo are likely the heaviest things you will carry. Consider looking into something like a MSR water filter to refill your water bladder.

Well with out even saying anything to my wife.  She picked out a Day Pack, Sling type that she wanted.

She was going to order between a couple and the only input I had was helping pick the color.  I guided her to one that was not brightly colored with a broken pattern

I can't find a picture but best I remember it had white. black/grey and the pattern appeared to be broken pretty good.

Timing is good on it, her job just sent her to work at a different office which is a bit further away.

I am going to help her pack it for a moderate emergency bag.  If I like it after it gets here I might get me one to carry to and from work. 

BTW, I to have my Alice and Frame.  I am certain it would be too much for her.