Change to Manner and Means During TN Primitive/Muzzleloader Season

Last year I proposed a change to mimic Mississippi's muzzleloader season here which would allow the use of single shot rifles and shotguns during the muzzleloader season, being that muzzleloaders are not really primitive weapons any longer and a single shot rifle or handgun chambered in a .35 caliber or larger cartridge that was a previous black powder cartridge like a 38/40, 44/40, 45/70, current handgun cartridge or a single shot shotgun with the foster style or sabot slug offers no advantage over a muzzleloader and in some ways not be as good as a muzzleloader. I am making another presentation this February and would like some feedback. Please view the survey and answer accordingly.

[url="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z6R68PS"]http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z6R68PS[/url]
yes the 30/30 would not be eligible, as if it passed as Mississippi's did, you would have to use a .35 caliber or larger rifle. The just of it is now we have in line muzzleloaders that prooven by multiple test in magazines are more accurate and superior to your smoothbore shotgun shooting the foster slugs or your rifled slug barrel shooting the exact same projectile as a muzzleloader does, so unless we do our muzzleloader season like Oregon, Idaho or Washington State does where they require no sabots, open sights or nothing over a 2x scope and the use fo musket or #11 percussion caps, then adding the use of single shot rifles, handguns and shotguns will really not change much.
I have some mixed feelings but I'm not necessarily opposed. On one hand I say anything to get more hunters in the woods is a good thing (until they are in my woods.) On the other hand everybody and their brother hunts rifle, muzzleloader gives those guys that want to do something a little bit more challenging an advantage of not being as crowded in the woods where the deer are not as spooky yet. I was also opposed to allowing crossbows to be used in archery season but I haven't personally noticed any more people in the woods because of that either.
I can't really work up a strong opinion on this, pro or con. On one hand, it would be easier cleanup with the single shot rifle, but on the other, I would be just as well to dispose of my muzzleloader if this happened, as they will be worthless to me or most anyone else. I'm hunting early either way.
Your survey was lacking a question. "Change Muzzleloader season to Primative M/L only and move inlines into regular rifle season". I would vote for that! Sidelock Flint or percussion. You are already allowed to use "blackpowder" rifles, pistols and shotguns during big game gun season!

Dave S Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1
[quote name='robtattoo' timestamp='1355177397' post='858074']
In my opinion & please bear in mind that it's only MY opinion, i think it ought to go the other way. I personally think that it should be a primitive weapon season. Primitive meaning sidelocks only.
[/quote]
I agree with this, and would add that the use of sabots and optics be prohibited.
  • Like 1
[quote name='Westwindmike' timestamp='1355182359' post='858122']
Muzzleloader season should be only sidelock type rifles. When inlines came into the season, it's just like hunting with a real rifle, not a primitive weapon. Lets go back to a true primitive ML season. Just my opinion.
[/quote]

I agree 100%!! My inlines are more accurate than my 12ga slug gun! However, I love hunting with my flintlocks!

Dave S
[quote name='R_Bert' timestamp='1355183425' post='858130']
Flintlock smoothbore only. Keep your powder dry.
[/quote]
[quote name='DaveS' timestamp='1355183587' post='858136']
I can hang!!

Dave S
[/quote]

No doubt. I bet there are only a few of y'all that will do it without a cap or primer. I doubt if I could keep from dumping the pan when I twitched or sneezed.
[quote name='contendershooter' timestamp='1355170696' post='857987']
Last year I proposed a change to mimic Mississippi's muzzleloader season here which would allow the use of single shot rifles and shotguns during the muzzleloader season, being that muzzleloaders are not really primitive weapons any longer and a single shot rifle or handgun chambered in a .35 caliber or larger cartridge that was a previous black powder cartridge like a 38/40, 44/40, 45/70, current handgun cartridge or a single shot shotgun with the foster style or sabot slug offers no advantage over a muzzleloader and in some ways not be as good as a muzzleloader. I am making another presentation this February and would like some feedback. Please view the survey and answer accordingly.

[url="http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z6R68PS"]http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z6R68PS[/url]
[/quote]

You've been a member since 2010, and this is only your 4th post? WOW!
Not sure what you're up too....

Dave S
[quote name='R_Bert' timestamp='1355184949' post='858153']
No doubt. I bet there are only a few of y'all that will do it without a cap or primer. I doubt if I could keep from dumping the pan when I twitched or sneezed.
[/quote]

I liked that! It's a challenge my friend!

Dave S
  • Like 1
The problem with this is it open up calibers like the .35 Whelen. That is not a "primitive" weapon and I know lots of people that use them in the early season in Mississippi. I used a 45-70 Govt that had open sights. That lowered the effective range to around 75 yards for an ethical shot. I just never got into the muzzleloading fever, but would live to get a chance to shoot a true muzzle loader.
  • Like 1
We have too many deer in Shelby County. The season could be year round day and night and we would still not kill enough deer to cut down on car accidents.

I am all for making deer season longer and getting more deer killed by whatever means.

I would like to see dogs, corn feeders, longer rifle season, and archery go to at least the end of February. Edited by 270win
[quote name='razorback2003' timestamp='1355186797' post='858166']
We have too many deer in Shelby County. The season could be year round day and night and we would still not kill enough deer to cut down on car accidents.

I am all for making deer season longer and getting more deer killed by whatever means.

I would like to see dogs, corn feeders, longer rifle season, and archery go to at least the end of February.
[/quote]

I agree to the end of Feb!

Dave S
The most prevalent memory I have of using true primitive weapons when I was younger, before inline and sabots, is poorly placed shots and lost deer. There is a big difference between single shot rifles/shotguns and ML's. It's reloading. I am content with the current law. I doubt we see much season date changes. Supposedly the last round of changes was to make it easier for the dumb hunters to keep up with which season was active. Bow first, then ML, then Rifle till the end. You know we're too easily confused to have it any other way.

You've been a member since 2010, and this is only your 4th post? WOW!
Not sure what you're up too....

Dave S

nothing I joined and really did nothing but look at the classifieds, but this issue was beat around last year amongst myself and other hunters I work with, and that along with the fact TWRA has pondered doing a AWS, or any weapon season where deer season opens in September, closes in January, use what you want, and I am totally against that.  When I made this proposal last year, a couple of people in the decision making process said they would rather go to an any weapon season versus allowing the use of single shot shotguns, rifles and handguns during muzzleloader season, and I think that was a big jump just to try to shut the issue down without listening to the debate and justification.  I agree totally with what a lot of people are saying on here and I agree that current inline muzzleloaders are not "primitive" and that is why I have been saying that adding single shot shotguns, handguns and rifles for that short two week period won't make a hill of beans difference.  Even if we just added single shot shotguns, which when you look at modern sabot slugs, they are ignited from a 209 primer, the exact same primer 99.999% of inlines use, and have the exact same bullet in a sabot that most muzzleloader hunters are shooting.  So what is the difference other than being held together by a plastic shell...

Look at the Bass Pro Shops Muzzleloader buyers guide and I reference the quote from the end of the article...it says it all on inlines...

"Make no mistake, today's modern replica muzzleloaders, especially in-line versions, are "primitive" weapons in name alone. You can now have many of the modern technological advantages of smokeless, centerfire cartridges and rifles, while still connecting with our shooting and frontier heritage. Enjoy."

I also posted the idea on a site www.tndeer.com, and here is a link to the forum...look at the hornets nest I stirred up over there....

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3072318&page=1#Post3072318

a lot agree with the views on here, where people would like a true primitive season, and there are a lot who agree with my proposal, and a lot who disagree...

great thread so far, keep the comments coming, I would like to see what other hunters and shooters think before presenting the data before the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Commission in February.