Glock 17 and 19 get ambidextrous mag release

TGO David

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Now, if they would only add a hammer to it.... :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll go back to being good now.

Yeah yeah... but most people just don't cope well with the transition in pull weight between DA and SA. I'll admit that I am one of them. Striker fired handguns have the advantage of consistent trigger pull every time. The lack of a double-strike capability is a minor handicap but if you train for malfunction drills, it becomes sort of a non issue. I don't want to risk the primer NOT going bang on a second strike either. If it goes click then I'm racking the slide and going for another round.

The HK P2000 had a good opportunity to win me over. Had it been 9mm I may still be carrying it. The LEM trigger was a real disappointment and the Variant 2 DA/SA had that whole dual trigger weights thing going on. Sure, they are reliable guns (at twice the cost of a Glock) but HK customer service pretty much doesn't even exist to civilians.

My Glock 19 may not be the prettiest, the most ergonomic, the most expensive or the most accurate... but it loves abuse and puts lead down range accurately enough that it still exceeds my abilities. :D

Glock is one platform which I have never owned and lived with... even though I've shot a bunch.

I've got enough respect for them that maybe I'll pick one up. I'm kinda getting tired of replacing the striker roll-pins in the XDs... even though it doesn't hamper the function. Of course... a Glock could just as easily have some common trouble area too, like a loose front sight or bad slide-release spring that would put it out of action.

• Administrator
I couldn't agree with you more Tungsten... Glock is the AK of handguns... lousy sights, horrible trigger, terrible ergonomics... and neither is worth having unless full-auto!!!:D

DanO

We got to play with a Glock 18 at the class too. Oh, baby. :D

( By the way... I wouldn't want to get shot with either an AK or a Glock. ;) )

I couldn't agree with you more Tungsten... Glock is the AK of handguns... lousy sights, horrible trigger, terrible ergonomics... and neither is worth having unless full-auto!!!:D

Oh that was GOOD!!!! BWahahahaha!!!!

I'll be here with a lot of smart ass comments when your HK ****s up. I'm patient and it'll happen. ;)

Not that was just plain cold.

Good thing your patient... it may take a good while. :D

• Administrator
We'll see. :D

:D

The most reliable weapon ever made is a sharp rock. Beyond that, you're going to have problems no matter what. We saw two Glocks go down this past weekend as Eddie alluded to in his reply about a broken slide lock spring and a broken front sight. But both of those weapons had seen a lot of shooting from what I understood. As in multiples of thousands of rounds prior to those failures.

Guest sling
Not that was just plain cold.

Good thing your patient... it may take a good while. :D

Bah... a cold day in hell.

It'll never happen. :D

What happens when you have two gun manufacturers who claim perfection?

Did you give up on the M&P after your experiences with the .357 SIG version?

My take on the matter is, the XD will outshoot an M&P or a Glock any day of the week, in my experience... but when it comes to ergonomics, the M&P rules, and since the 9mm guns I've shot don't seem to have the same strange recoil characteristics which turned me off of the .357sig version, I'd try one of those.

The Glock is simply the most basic form of the three... and while perfectly adequete, is truly a mixture of the lowest qualities of the other 2 (or, to put it better, since Glock was around first, the XD and M&P have improved upon the best characteristics of the Glock).

That doesn't mean that I won't give a Glock a committed try at some point... the only reason I haven't so far is because every other pistol on the planet fits my hand better. So, I'd be more inclined to get an M&P 9, and have it sent off to Dan Burwell, if I decide to replace my XD.

• Administrator

I had a great time shooting my XD Tactical this weekend but your experience with the roll pin (and that's not the first time I have seen this issue with an XD) and my own experience with the magazines jamming up when they got a little dirty has made me give serious consideration to an M&P 9L.

I agree completely with your assessment of the Glock platform. This is why I was so perturbed with the silly problems that Smith & Wesson was having with the M&P when it first came out. The compact 9c that I owned had to go back twice for service work. The two 40's never had any problems, which indicates that the issues were really hit or miss.

Lately it sounds as though these kinks have been worked out so I'm inclined to give them another try.

I am sure about one thing, though... whatever I get, I want to put it through a class like that to wring it out!

I still have utmost faith in my XD, don't get me wrong, it ate everything I fed it, and it digested alot of mud... The striker retaining pin was cracked for several hundred rounds, and the gun still kept trucking along. My interest in looking at other guns is more of a desire to find something that requires even less maintenance. Reliability has never been a problem.

( By the way... I wouldn't want to get shot with either an AK or a Glock. :D )

Wouldn't wanna get shot by a Type 94 Nambu either, but that doesn't mean I'm going to run out and by one... :D

DanO

...Who did carry a Yugo-built TT-33 Tokarev clone for awhile.... but at the time my options were pretty limited...

Yeah yeah... but most people just don't cope well with the transition in pull weight between DA and SA.

Well, you know you don't HAVE to carry with the hammer down. Just cock it and you have the equivalent of a striker fired weapon - with a bunch of additional options. :D

Well, you know you don't HAVE to carry with the hammer down. Just cock it and you have the equivalent of a striker fired weapon - with a bunch of additional options. :D

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

Considering that most modern DA autos have the same passive safeties internally, it is essentially the same thing. The useage of an external safety on a single-action hammer gun is a traditional response moreso than a functional necessity.

• Administrator
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

Considering that most modern DA autos have the same passive safeties internally, it is essentially the same thing. The useage of an external safety on a single-action hammer gun is a traditional response moreso than a functional necessity.

You guys aren't going to let me enjoy my Kool Aid are you? :P

Guest EasilyObsessed

Ill be sure to bring my M&P9 to the shoot on Saturday. Anyone who wants to will have all the opportunity they need to realize it is a superior gun :D

Actually....just for fun...it would be interesting to see how it functions with some muddy or dirty magazines. I am honestly curious how it would do.

• Administrator
Wish I could see how caked up the mag was that would cause it not to shoot.

Are you referring to my XD? It wasn't caked up much at all. In fact, I was shooting it on the drier of the two days when the soil had already had a chance to dry up a bit. The Glock mags had some serious mud in them. The XD mags were just gritty and dirty from being dropped nose first into the soil.