Ruger LCP or revolver to carry?

Guest Benkharr

Guest Benkharr
I am on a tight budget however need to get me and my wife hand guns to carry. We plan on shooting several but I wanted to compile a list of ones I need to try out. If you own an LCP or small revolver please list what you prefer and model. Thanks for your help!!! Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Best of both worlds ... A Ruger LCR .... :)  Get a .38 special for the wife and a .357 for you :)

With that said ... I own an LCP, LCR, XR9's -- Those are my "pocketable" firearms.

LCP is great because its so thin.  Wife prefer's the LCR because she can see the bullets. 

I carry the LCP everyday.  LCR when I have larger pockets, and XR9's when I feel like IWBing it :)

• Like 1

Personally if you are looking at the micro .380's I like the Taurus TCP .380 better than the LCP. I own two of the Taurus .380's but while I have shot an LCP I have never owned one. I just think the Taurus fits my hand better and the fit and finish felt better. They can be had for $250 used online usually.

The Ruger LCR would be a better pick. I own a LCR357 and it has a good trigger, is light and easy to carry either IWB or OWB. The 38 spec in 125g hp bullet is good defense load. I carry 125 g Nyclad. The 125g ammo would have less recoil and you could practice with ammo and not real expensive.

Edited by lshel
I've never owned an LCP but I did carry a LCR .357 for a couple years. They are nice little wheel guns with a super smooth da trigger. The only thing honestly a didn't like was the capacity which isn't the guns fault. I still carry a small revelover in the summer months sometimes. I carry a Glock 27 primarily. But yes my friend, LCR is indeed a quality gun. Good luck.
I have owned a lot of pocket .380's and revolvers. If concealabilty is top priority the .380. I tend to prefer my small .38 spl's for carry though. The .38 spl with std pressure is only slightly more potent with less capacity. I have never had a reliability issue with a LCP or Keltec. They are generally cheaper but do require quite a bit of ammo for break in and testing. I'm pretty confident after 50rds through a revolver and they are hardly ever ammo picky. I think one reason I got so involved with .38's is because of reloading and how easy .38 is to reload.
Something very important is a lot of ladies can not pull vack the slide on a keltec,LCP, kahr 380, sig .38@ or whatever. Just something about them. With a revolver generally someone can know it and be proficient for a gunfight with less training.
Just do some things for you to think about. Edited by Patton

I love revolvers, but my LCP is usually what goes with me. It is so much thinner that it is much easier and more comfortable to conceal. It is reliable, accurate, and most importantly, it doesn't get left behind because it is too big or too heavy.

My wife carries a revolver. There isn't a wrong choice; just personal preference.

Guest Benkharr
Yeah I am wanting to stay around $700. I am shooting my inlaw's lcp 380 & 9mm this weekend. I really like the 380 I can just slide that thing in my front pocket. Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
$700 will get you two LCP's ($299 retail) and about a box of ammo for each. Keltecs have come down in price somewhat lately, but the cheapest I have seen them new is $250. If you wanted to try the Taurus TCP they will run you about $279 You can sometimes find the matte grey Taurus 38spl from Academy for $279 but I doubt they have any now. That is about the cheapest you can find a 38 spl for, at least a light carriable one.

I just shot my LCR for the first time yesterday.  I have owned both an LCP and P3AT.  Both were reliable when clean and lubricated.  I prefer the LCR to either.  It points better for me and my trigger finger naturally falls where it needs to.  With my P3AT, the small size means I have to hold it a little odd in order to achieve a good trigger press.  I love the large XS sight and the simplicity. The only advantage the LCP has is that it is flatter in your pocket.  I not a tight jeans guy so this isn't a big deal to me.  I also considered a Smith J Frame but the LCR is lighter, is available with better sights, and has a better trigger.  Granted, the scandium .357 J-Frame is available with a better front site and there is an Apex trigger kit available for the Smiths but comparing stock guns in the same price range the LCR feels way better to me than a Smith.    

Something very important is a lot of ladies can not pull vack the slide on a keltec,LCP, kahr 380, sig .38@ or whatever. Just something about them. With a revolver generally someone can know it and be proficient for a gunfight with less training.
Just do some things for you to think about.

This played a role in my decision.  My wife has only been to the range with me a few times but she's showing interest in going a few more times and maybe getting her HCP.  She has difficulty racking the slide on semi-autos and is generally less intimidated by the idea of a revolver.  If she wants the LCR, it will be hers. 

I own 4 small handguns.

Smith and Wesson model 36 Chief's Special 3". Great little pistol. 5 shots every time but reloading quickly during a gun fight is iffy.

Ruger LC-9. Great pistol. 7 round magazine. never jammed. It has a manual safety and a long trigger pull

Sig P238. It's a accurate little single action 380. The hammer can get caught on clothing and it has had some reliablity issues. You also had to remember to thumb off the safety as you draw, or it won't go bang.

DB380. Very concealable and handy but has had reliablity issues. My first two DB380s broke and they sent me new ones. Great service from DB but service doesn't equate to reliablity.

I carry the Model 36 and LC-9 when I must go small. A Glock 19 or XD-45 when I can.

Edited by Will Carry
I have several j frame Smiths and a LCR, the Smiths just have nastalga and feel like guns. The LCR shoots just as well, I do short stroke the trigger though, but the LCR handles well and operates like a well built machine should. I have seen used LCR's for $350 before but they don't come around often and definetly not now.
.38 +P beats the .380 round any day of the week, so the revolver would be my pick, and a J frame .357 would be ideal.

Although I tried not to get hung up on caliber, this cannot be denied.  If you watch any of the ballistics videos on tnoutdoors9's youtube channel, the Gold Dot and Golden Saber .38 Special loads look nearly as good as 9mm.  You can't say the same for any .380 load.   

Pretty much, to me it's not worth the pain. A m60 in 357 weighs about 23 oz and can actually make a experienced shooter anticipate recoil. I'm plenty satisfied with what a 38+p in a airweight or LCR feels like. I would love to try a 327 Fed mag, it's supposed to be more pleasant to shoot but still a magnificent performer.
If you compare the stats on Cor Bon 125 grain rounds on the Ballistics By The Inch website, the .357 round is 400 fps faster than the .38 Spl out of a 3 inch barrel. Agreed, .357 is a beast in a J frame, but there is a real ballistic advantage over .38 SPL even in a snubbie.

Maybe a nice heavy SP101 in .357 would fit the bill?
Over the years I've carried big 45's down to the LCP. My preferred caliber is the 9mm for good ballistics with minimum recoil, and higher capacity guns. However, most nines aren't pocket guns to me. I'm 5'7", 170# and my Glock 26 or S&W Shield aren't pocket guns. My Ruger LCP is a true pocket pistol. I'll give up the caliber when I have to for the convenient factor. I had a Keltec, and no ding to it. It functioned well, but I liked the finish of the Ruger. I've finally moved away from a j-frame since my wife liked the LCP much better, and I followed suite to share ammo, holsters and magazines. Unless your dead set on a revolver, an LCP is a good choice if you want a pocket gun. If you want something larger, I find my Shield or Glock easy to carry, and in the 9mm. Edited by jon29253