profitable or a hassle to own an AR in the future?

I would be amazed if we avoid serious bans/controls that are far stiffer than the Clinton ban.

So, if I resign myself to that distinct possibility, here is the question.

Is it likely that owning an AR or an AK is going to be a massive hassle?..... or downright profitable?

If we are unable to sell the things person to person.... if if they make it a major pain to own one (making you pay special fees, check in every year with an inspector, accountable for it's whereabout at all times according to their regulations, etc. etc...... it may not be worth it to keep them and it might be difficult to sell them with or without a profit.

What do you think?   Is your potentially "banned" rifle or magazine going to be a treasure?..... or a burden?

Hard to know...

By keeping my ARs, I'm betting the eventual outcome will be a relatively superficial public relations type legislation, where the House gives up one sop, like end of all private sales (which I have been expecting will happen,even before CT).

It makes sense because none of the mass killers got their guns that way, and DC legislates with anti-logic.

My take on "profitable" is to sell them now, if profit is what you want. Not sure when the exact height of sales value will be, but it's plenty right now, and at some point it will crash, either because of legislation or because of the lack of it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
Acceptable: shotguns ....especially with wood furniture... And other hunting looking rifles

You'll be undergunned against the roving hordes (your neighbors) after The Meltdown. ;) (only half jesting)

What makes you think that in the long term your "sniper rifles" won't be banned?  Maybe only double and single barreled shotguns with 6 birdshot or smaller only? Maybe possession of all handgun mags over 10 rounds banned. Maybe over 6 rounds, go back to revolver six gun standard.

Point being, reacting to something that's completely up in the air is a total crapshoot. The AR pricing may actually fall way back in just the next week or two, who knows, could be that there were actually a finite number of idiots willing to pay 4 times what they were worth two weeks ago and prices start falling tomorrow. Only thing sure is that top price on ARs over the last 8 years or so seems to be right now, this day.

- OS

• Like 1
What makes you think that in the long term your "sniper rifles" won't be banned? 

- OS

There was a bill introduced after the DC "sniper" to ban sniper rifles. It was nothing more than an attempted ban on "assault" rifles but they used "sniper" because that is what was relavent. Now it is "assault" rifles but could be any name that garners support for their cause. Heck, I am surprized they are not out saying these weapons are used to kill defenseless little baby bunny rabbits or some other cute animal.

ohbehave, if you think wood furniture is going to save you it won't. There are dozens of guns on the CA DOJ list that have wood stocks. And even the Mini-14 by Ruger has been villianized by various organizations. I have even read where they referred to 22 lr as a high powered round.

Dolomite

• Like 1

This is a quick rough chop, and out of scale, but I think this will be the only way to possibly hide the AR from the liberals.

ar15_zps6fd0c511.jpg

plus this..

12-fiveyth_zps88523fb7.jpg

= This...

ar15a_zps7bb9d723.jpg

There will need to be variations to account for forward assists, and button extensions, safety selector adapters, etc. but you get the point.

Edited by Will H
  • Like 1

How can you legitimately ban an AR, to begin with? Changing the stock to make it look less evil to a liberal isn't

much to base a law on. They can bitch and moan until the cats come home, or whatever the saying is, but I don't

think I'll worry too much about my AR. I'd be much more worried about my M1A being taken, but the liberals probably

won't notice it. :D

So, ohbehave, you think the House will cave? I guess you could be right, but I still don't think so.

Mac, I understand your logic about the banning of private sales, but I don't think that would fly, either. If the Republicans

allow any legislation that affect or restrict gun sales, they can expect a loss in the House. That would guarantee an

outright ban in Congress and a signature from a commie. We don't want to go there. People like McCain or that doofus

in S.Carolina can get in front of a camera and sound like they are ready for some reaching across the aisle, but the

House won't be that way without some serious problems. I'll say, at this point, it depends on who is our next Speaker

and whether or not he or she is a wuss. There can possibly end up being nothing going through Congress. Anyone

else considering that? That blue ribbon committee just about assures us of that. Time is on our side.

Mac, I understand your logic about the banning of private sales, but I don't think that would fly, either. If the Republicans

allow any legislation that affect or restrict gun sales, they can expect a loss in the House....

Private sales don't generate any money for any lobbyist group, so no pressure there.

And if several polls can be believed, even the majority of NRA members think ending the "gun show loophole" would be fine, so not sure if that would be too much of a worry about  being defeated in 2014.

They can all tout that they saved your guns, you just have to jump through an extra hoop to sell them, plus you should feel all honorable and all because you won't be able to sell them to a criminal.

- OS

This is a quick rough chop, and out of scale, but I think this will be the only way to possibly hide the AR from the liberals.

ar15_zps6fd0c511.jpg

plus this..

= This...

ar15a_zps7bb9d723.jpg

There will need to be variations to account for forward assists, and button extensions, safety selector adapters, etc. but you get the point.

An AK with a wood stock is already accepted as evil.  What you need to do is hide the mag.  Think of a Marlin 60 double tube in .223.

Private sales don't generate any money for any lobbyist group, so no pressure there.

And if several polls can be believed, even the majority of NRA members think ending the "gun show loophole" would be fine, so not sure if that would be too much of a worry about  being defeated in 2014.

They can all tout that they saved your guns, you just have to jump through an extra hoop to sell them, plus you should feel all honorable and all because you won't be able to sell them to a criminal.

- OS

You may be right. I can only think that that is only one more step to registration. So, the majority of NRA members already

caved? I should ask for my money back.

You may be right. I can only think that that is only one more step to registration. So, the majority of NRA members already

caved? I should ask for my money back.

Well, there are already about 15 states where there are partial or total bans on private sales, none found unconstitutional, so I don't see how a federal ban on that could be either.

- OS

[quote name='6.8 AR' timestamp='1356488537' post='868720']Private sales don't generate any money for any lobbyist group, so no pressure there. And if several polls can be believed, even the majority of NRA members think ending the "gun show loophole" would be fine, so not sure if that would be too much of a worry about being defeated in 2014. They can all tout that they saved your guns, you just have to jump through an extra hoop to sell them, plus you should feel all honorable and all because you won't be able to sell them to a criminal. - OS You may be right. I can only think that that is only one more step to registration. So, the majority of NRA members already caved? I should ask for my money back.[/quote] I strongly suspect this will be the outcome. So of course criminals won't care and the rest of us will see the price of trading our guns go up.
Acceptable: shotguns ....especially with wood furniture... And other hunting looking rifles
As OS stated it's not a deer rifle it's a "sniper rifle."

That's not a bird gun it's a "assault shotgun."

That's not a revolver, that's what gunslingers used to gun down people on the street in the old west!

Anything you own, not just guns, can be demonized by the left to suit their agenda. Edited by BrasilNuts

ar15_zps6fd0c511.jpg

plus this..

= This...

ar15a_zps7bb9d723.jpg

That looks a lot like a Mini-14.

Well, there are already about 15 states where there are partial or total bans on private sales, none found unconstitutional, so I don't see how a federal ban on that could be either.

- OS

None have been taken to SCOTUS yet either...  It's like saying in 2004 that the Washington DC handgun ban hadn't been found unconstitutional, because in 30 years nobody has tried.

Truth is the vast majority of federal and state firearm laws have not been challenged up until a few years ago...  Miller was the only case taken to SCOTUS, and even with no defense showing up, it seemed to leave a large loophole in the NFA.

It's taken us 40+ years for your generation to get us into this mess, it's going to take decades to get all of these unconstitutional laws challenged and overturned.

It's taken us 40+ years for your generation to get us into this mess, it's going to take decades to get all of these unconstitutional laws challenged and overturned.

I take full personal responsibility for it.

Though some progress seems to have been made recently, your generation will have to deal with an overwhelmingly activist progressive bevy of justices on every level of federal courts, including SCOTUS, so bad on y'all I reckon.

- OS