getting a Tn state drivers license dumb question

1st question here after new member intro,  Hope that someone can tell me how long it will take to get our DL's once we turn in our California DL's at the DMV office.  Here in Cali we get a temp right away then it takes about 2 weeks to get the permanent one, and being the we will be new to the area we are not sure what the procedure will be once we get to the Clarksville area.  We are anxious to know as we want to be able to replace some of our Cali mags for the regular high capacity before any ban takes place.

thanks

Ron

• Moderators
A few things to make you aware of as we do not run things like your former home of the People's Republik of Kommiefornia.

1.Bring your birth certificate or passport and you will leave the DMV with your new DL. No waiting for a DL in the mail.
2. You don't need to be a resident to buy a magazine in a store here. In fact, if you can find any online, you can order them over the web if you want. If you can find any in stock in a store buy as many as your heart (and wallet) wishes.
3. Welcome to 'Murcia. Edited by Chucktshoes

Welcome to TN!

Chuck and TDR pretty well covered the process. The hardest thing about it is any standing in line you might have to do. I would also reiterate the suggestion on the mags.... start looking for them now. No ID required to buy mags in TN.

Edited by Batman
  • Moderators
No ID required for mag purchases in Ca either. ;) at least last time I bought one. Welcome to Tn from another refugee, if your a firearm enthusiast you'll love it here. My firearms collection grew exponentially in the year I've been here. Then I lost them all in that uninsured boating accident. Shame.
  • Like 1

keep your 10 round mags.  You may need them.

You have a fairly long grace period for getting your DL.   You need proof of your new address to get your DL, and 2 pieces of ID, if memory serves.  That is online somewhere for what ID is ok but your old DL & birth cert is a good bet.   A piece of mail addressed to you is sufficient proof, a bill for example is a good one. 

If you are driving (I dunno, people drive uhauls or something to move if they got a lot of stuff to haul) you can stop at every gun store on the way after you leave CA to look for hardware.  Pretty sure rifles are not subject to the in-state rule, and certainly ammo and mags are not.  

Just be aware that its a bad time.  The few folks that HAVE mags are selling them for $50 a pop now.  The stores sell out faster than they can get them in.

Thanks for all the info, we should have no problem from what I have read and checked, we will have our cali license, lease, and birth certs, so that should suffice.  We will also be hauling all our stuff and plan on stopping along the way to check for ammo and mags, so time will tell what we will come up with.