1st automatic

Guest Racemaster

Guest Racemaster

Hello everybody. I am new to this sight. I'm proud to be a Tennessee Gun owner.

I am here because a guy I know told me about this sight. I'm here for some advice from experts, or at least experienced gun owners.

My business requires me to carry large amounts of cash from time to time and I am looking for a new sidearm to carry. I currently carry a toy (.22 Jennings) and it's about as helpful as a big stick if I get in a tough position. I am looking to purchase a nice automatic 'hip gun'. I figured I would start by asking questions on the best, or most popular carry wepon in my price range. I'm looking to keep it cheap, $350 or less if possible.

I know there are lots of good gun owners out there that cant give me tons of details. I'm looking forward to the info.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the site, Racemaster. I would suggest making a trip to some gun shops/ranges. There are several options to choose from, but you're gonna need to focus on comfort for you and your needs. What is comfortable for some, may not be for others. The best thing you can do is, put your hands on as many guns as possible.

The $350 range isn't going to be quite so easy. Most quality guns that you're trusting you life with, won't likely be that cheap. Buying used may be your best bet.

You can look at the Ruger P Series. They are a bit on the heavy side, but not that bad. I see used ones in very good condition selling for $300-$400. I've had two of them, and never had an issue.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest bkelm18

I assume (and hope) you mean a semi-automatic handgun? I'd take a look into Taurus' line of guns. They are pretty quality at a good price. What caliber are you looking into?

Guest waffenldr

What about a Bersa. Has anyone had any bad experiences with them. They look like a p63 or knock off PPK. 380 is not bad with a hydra shock.

I believe bigger is better and only carrry 45's.

Guest bkelm18
What about a Bersa. Has anyone had any bad experiences with them. They look like a p63 or knock off PPK. 380 is not bad with a hydra shock.

I believe bigger is better and only carrry 45's.

Bersas are good guns for what they are. Personally, I wouldn't carry hollowpoints in a .380 simply because they lack penetration. If you go .380, carry FMJ.

Guest db99wj

I am making the assumption that you have a carry permit.

I would up your price a little, you can get a good quality firearm in "semiautomatic" from $350 (used) to a little over $500 out the door. There are a lot of quality guns in the $450 to $550 range. Glocks, Springfield XD's, Taurus, Rugers, Kahr, Bersa's (Kel Tec's on the lower than that range) to name a few. I would suggest a 9mm or bigger for your main carry gun. You might also consider a revolver, the J-frame sized revolvers (2" barrel) in .38 special are a popular and very carry friendly.

Semiautomatic - every trigger pull results in firing a round until all rounds are gone

Automatic - one trigger pull results in all rounds being fired or until you run out of rounds or let go of the trigger.

My suggestion is to go to a range that rents handguns, I'm sure there are some in and around Murfreesboro, others will chime in to let you know. Rent as many as you can to figure out what you like the best, that fits you the best. Put the Jennings up. You are betting your life on the handgun you choose, don't go cheap and with that you don't have to go super expensive, save up a little longer and get a good quality firearm. For just a little more than your $350, you can get a good quality reliable firearm.

Edited by db99wj
Added Kel Tec due to them being a low cost reliable handgun.
Guest DrBoomBoom

In that price range, you might find a Sig P6. The Rabbi had one at his shop last week, if it's still there (the gun, not the shop ;) ).

Guest jackdog

Welcome, and as others have said try to shoot as many different guns as possible. I would suggest looking at the Kel tec pf 9. It is very compact extremely light weight and will handle +p ammo. A little snappy on the recoil but no big deal. the little woman carries one daily.

Guest bluecanary25

Hi Racemaster, welcome to TGO!

As recommended, rent and fire some hanguns.

It is preferable to have a HCP (Handgun Carry Permit) if you keep a firearm on your person.

Please take the time and read these forums. Very helpful info here and overall a good group a people.

(Some of them even know what they are talking about!!! :):D )

As with any group, when you ask for advice, there is a broad range of answers. You need to figure what fits you best.

Keep a salt shaker at hand and happy reading!!;)

Edited by bluecanary25
I'm not very bright!
Guest tokarev

As a long time user, I agree with Jackdog.

Others might look down upon it, but I stake my life on that $200 used Kel-Tec P11 that I've carried for the last 8 years.

I also own 1911a's, 38 S&W's, .44 S&W mags, Berretta 9's and several other pistols and revolvers in various calibers.

Whatever you end up with, be it .22 or .500 S&W, please, PLEASE(!!!), practice drawing from however you carry it and the placement of the bullets you fire.

Otherwise you might as well carry a baseball bat.

Just my opinion: I think a good FIRST semi-auto pistol for a "hip gun," as you put it, would be the Smith and Wesson sw9ve (9mm). It carries 16 cartridges, is durable and reliable, and feels good in the hand. It sells new for about $300. The trigger is fairly HEAVY, which makes it a safe pistol to carry to avoid accidental discharges. Follow the link for pictures...

http://www.mouseguns.com/mysw9ve/sw9ve.html

Edited by mousegunner
added a link
Guest rufusgooch

The bersa 380 is a good back up gun. I have 2. A dou tone $209. at cabellas and a Ultra compact (8 shot). My pc is a Beretts 9000 40. But Bersa just came out with a 9mm ultra compact 10 shot. Runs about 350.00 delivered. I carry one as my bug. Sometime I leave the Beretta at home. The bersa is accurate, realable and cheap to shoot. If you can find one buy it. Bersa is a walther knock off. You can bet you life on them. Dont bet your life on a 380.

I would suggest a a Kahr CW model. You should give them a look and hold and shoot one if you can. They come in 9mm, 40 and 45 caliber. I have the CW40 and it is my EDC for the summer. You can find them pretty close to your price range of $350...

• 3 weeks later...

I edc S&W 642 or 640 (depends on weather) but I own a nice Bersa Duotone Thunder (.380) and it is an accurate and easy to shoot piece. It and my G23 are my favorite indoor range guns. I just like the feeling of confidence I get about reliability with wheelguns when my life could be at stake.

If I were buying new in your price renge, Bersa is a safe bet and probably the best in price range..

If I were buying used, I'd look at a used 9MM. Just my thoughts.

I'm not knocking bottom feeders, but be careful in ammo selection (try everything at range before carrying) and keep the piece very clean and well lubed.

Guest mikedwood

Welcome to the show. If you want a good automatic handgun the G17 is a nice one from what I hear. A little pricey and somewhat illegal here in the states.

All kidding aside put another $100 in and go up to the $450 range and while not unlimited your choices of good new or used semi automatics greatly increase. Such as about any used Glock or XD, the Sig is also a great one.

My next $400 extra is going for a S&W 642 bodyguard.

If price is an issue, before I bought something I'd price ammo (9mm is about half what .45 is and .38 ain't that cheap, 380 is more than 9mm figure that one out.) and extra mags (some are hard to find or get mags for, other mags are almost falling off trees (read Glock) and stuff. A decent holster is about $50 and up.

Just my thoughts and quite often I'm wrong.

Guest jdavis

you can get into a smith 9mm in the sigma series at that price range i have heard a lot of people knock them but i have one and have shot the heck out of it with no issues pretty much the same gun as the glock as far as field stripping mine still shoots great with very very high round count.