Leave it to the French... "Shooting demo uses real bullets, injures 16"

Guest Verbal Kint

Guest Verbal Kint

Shooting demo uses real bullets, injures 16

Link: CNN

PARIS, France (AP) -- A military shooting demonstration in southeast France on Sunday left 16 people wounded, including children, when real bullets were used instead of blank ones, officials said.

Four of the wounded were in serious condition, including a 3-year-old child, Bernard Lemaire, chief of the regional administration in Aude, said on France-3 television. Fifteen of the injured were civilians.

A Defense Ministry official said the incident occurred during a demonstration of hostage-freeing techniques at the Laperrine military barracks. The official said investigators will look into why real bullets were used.

No information was immediately available about what kind of weapon was used.

The soldier who fired the shots has been detained, Lemaire said. He said the injuries were likely an accident but that it could have been a "criminal act."

In a statement, President Nicolas Sarkozy expressed his "horror" at Sunday's incident at the base, which houses the 3rd marine infantry parachute regiment.

The injured were taken to nearby hospitals, with the most seriously wounded taken to Toulouse.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Well perhaps its been so long since they've had to use ammo they forgot how to tell the difference? :) But I'm willing to bet it was intentional.

Guest slothful1

Let's look on the bright side -- 16 casualties makes this the greatest French military accomplishment in over a century.

you think he might have noticed that his weapon was working automaticaly without a blank adapter. sounds strange to me .

You would also think he might consider it odd that everyone he was firing at kept falling down!!!! I don't think it would have taken me 16 people hitting the floor to start wondering what was going on.

I'm voting on intentional too.

buk

Guest db99wj
Sad, but the military knows how to use firearms and can be trusted can't they,

French and military..... The term Jumbo Shrimp has always amazed me. What is a Jumbo Shrimp? I mean, it's like Military Intelligence- the words don't go together.....

Anyone recognize that quote?:P

Guest bkelm18
French and military..... The term Jumbo Shrimp has always amazed me. What is a Jumbo Shrimp? I mean, it's like Military Intelligence- the words don't go together.....

Anyone recognize that quote?:P

The great George Carlin.:P

The term Jumbo Shrimp has always amazed me. What is a Jumbo Shrimp? I mean, it's like Military Intelligence- the words don't go together.....

FYI, Jumbo Shrimp are shrimp served on the "Jumbo" a restaurant at Aberdeen, a municipality on Hong Kong Island. The place has delicious food, if way overpriced because of its tourist patronage.

hkhone17.jpg

Yep! On a side note, NBC replayed the very first episode of Saturday Night Live, George Carlin as the host. It was great.

Of course it was great. He was high on cocaine (no kidding).

Much of the humor in SNL was drug related in the early years.

Guest db99wj
Of course it was great. He was high on cocaine (no kidding).

Much of the humor in SNL was drug related in the early years.

No kidding, they did have at least a 5 minute segment with Jim Henson's Muppets, which was different and a little strange.:P