question about reloading .223

I use a Lee trimmer currently.  I trim them all.  If they're shorter than the cutter, move to the next one.  As soon as I start loading 223 again I will buy a Little Crow WFT.  I have one fort .300 BLK.  It's the finest little piece of equipment I have ever bought.  

I trim to 1.745-1.750 and that gives me 2-3 firings before it needs it again. I used to trim to just under 1.760 then I found myself trimming after every firing. Nothing bad can happen from brass that is too short as long as it holds the bullet but too long of brass can cause pressures. I have even messed up and trimmed at 1.740 and had no issues.

If I find one piece that is over I do the entire lot.

Dolomite

so it is really just personal preference to trim every piece? I mean as long as the brass is under 1.760 I will be fine, there is no real need to have every piece the exact same length?

No as long as they're all under the maximum length it's fine. But the catch is you have to measur them to know that. Most, like Caster, just set the trimmer and if the trimmer doesn't cut anything you just throw it in the bucket.
  • Like 2

Using a Giraud trimmer is actually faster than measuring each one.  You hold the case in your fingers and push it in like an electric pencil sharpener.  The actual cutting only takes about a second.  I put a box under the trimmer and just drop them after trimming.  Using both hands you can trim a ridiculous amount of cases in a short time.  It trims, chamfers and deburrs all at the same time.

How about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Herters-Maximum-Case-Length-Gauge-Rifle-/111007051513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d8892ef9

those work just fine, but again you have to sort out too long vs others. These are a good gage to check every so often to make sure your still trimming to the right length.

If your just doing a small batch of brass it's a moot point but if you have very many cases at all it's just quicker to trim them all.
  • Like 1