900mph Ping Pong Ball!

MacGyver

• Admin Team
So, I guess the fine folks up at Purdue have gotten tired of competing to see who can get their grill ready to cook the fastest. Determined not to let their boredom get the better of them, they've designed a device that can serve a ping pong ball at Mach 1.2 with roughly the same energy as a .32ACP round.

Goes to show that there really isn't anything more dangerous than a bored engineer.

http://www.gizmag.com/how-to-build-a-supersonic-ping-pong-gun/26082/

• Like 1

Pretty cool, but what a waste of time. Says the guy sipping coffee, sitting in front of his iPad, surfing the web.

This coming from the guy who was taping primers to the end of darts and launching them out of a blowgun.

yea, who am I kidding, that's not an insult, that's awesome. :D

Don't they already have golf ball launchers that affix to the front of an AR-15? I suppose a ping pong ball would fit too.

Don't they already have golf ball launchers that affix to the front of an AR-15? I suppose a ping pong ball would fit too.

Yep, I have one. They also make a beer/Coke/Pepsi/whatever can launcher. Come to one of the shoots and you can fire mine.

Yep, I have one. They also make a beer/Coke/Pepsi/whatever can launcher. Come to one of the shoots and you can fire mine.

Thanks for the invite, but I don't make it out east too often. When I was a private we used blanks in our M16s to make cleaning rod launchers to see who could stick one into a tree.

Pretty cool, but what a waste of time. Says the guy sipping coffee, sitting in front of his iPad, surfing the web.

Nope.  An excellent way to get the kids engaged in applying classroom theory to something real.  Wish I'd gotten to build something this cool in school. 

Thanks for the invite, but I don't make it out east too often. When I was a private we used blanks in our M16s to make cleaning rod launchers to see who could stick one into a tree.

Had to throw the offer out there.

The infamous squirrel killing cleaning rod?

Had to throw the offer out there.

The infamous squirrel killing cleaning rod?

Haha, I'm pretty sure harming any animal in the woods surrounding Ft. Benning comes with a $10,000 fine of some sort. Every thing we did in the field came with a safety brief 10 minutes long about the various wildlife you can't touch for fear of immediate execution. If you even fart in the presence of a red cockaded woodpecker I'm pretty sure that's 20 years in Leavenworth.

Haha, I'm pretty sure harming any animal in the woods surrounding Ft. Benning comes with a $10,000 fine of some sort. Every thing we did in the field came with a safety brief 10 minutes long about the various wildlife you can't touch for fear of immediate execution. If you even fart in the presence of a red cockaded woodpecker I'm pretty sure that's 20 years in Leavenworth.

Lol.

Did you notice anything you post lately is a double post double post?

Oh and we will drop off the books tommorow.. was waiting to get a  " to do list  downtown " together... /

I did, and do notice that. Dunno why it happens.

Also what time were you thinking about stopping by? I probably won't be in until 2:30 to 2:45.

Edited by gjohnsoniv