Am I the only one who thinks its calming down?

Spots

4 kinds of people actually. I've more than doubled my AR mag stash since the scare started, one gentleman here have me 3 Troy mags, 3-4 pmags, and 4 colt mags all for the whopping sum of $90. Same individual practically gave me some 556 since I had non at the time and also let me in on his cmmg 22 conversion for I think another $90. All in all better than pre panic pricing.

Another gentleman also sold me 16 boxes of wolf 223 for the Walmart price of 4.50 a box. Totally normal pricing.

So there are actually at least 5 different groups, those you have mentioned, those who mocked the panic, and those who completely ignored it all together.
  • Like 1

4 kinds of people actually. I've more than doubled my AR mag stash since the scare started, one gentleman here have me 3 Troy mags, 3-4 pmags, and 4 colt mags all for the whopping sum of $90. Same individual practically gave me some 556 since I had non at the time and also let me in on his cmmg 22 conversion for I think another $90. All in all better than pre panic pricing.
Another gentleman also sold me 16 boxes of wolf 223 for the Walmart price of 4.50 a box. Totally normal pricing.
So there are actually at least 5 different groups, those you have mentioned, those who mocked the panic, and those who completely ignored it all together.

Good to know some folks are still getting decent deals, but I wouldn't sell any of my stuff out of principle because I know it would be flipped for a profit. Good on the folks who chose not to gouge, but that is a degree of faith I would not have in folks unless I knew who I was selling to.

I guess I'm not seeing the ammo shortages others are out here? I can almost gurantee to find 7.62, 5.56 or .45 acp everytime I got out if I hit a few stores. A certain local walmart gets orders in every other day or so, a lot of bulk pack stuff, and South Clinton Pawn has had 7.62 on the shelf for 3 weeks, though its high priced. Frontier firearms had a case of Tul 7.62 and a case of norinco with a 5 box limit the other day. Maybe the ammo shortage is just worse in other parts of the state

What I mainly noticed was that an AR 15 or a bulk pack of ammo used to sit on Armslist for 2 hours tops. Now they are not being bought quickly, and are being reposted several times with price drops. PEople are slowing down and becoming pickier about prices for ammo, and not over paying for bottom dollar AR's. At least thats my view

I'm close enough to you that I'd really like to know which Walmart that is.  Not doubting you - seriously asking, in what Walmart are you finding ammo?  Last Saturday, we went to the Heiskell area to visit my step-grandfather.  During that trip, I hit the Halls Wally, the Clinton Wally and the Lenoir City Wally.  Ammo was scarce at all of them and not a single .22LR round except for the .22LR birdshot they had at the Clinton store.  Clinton and Halls are the only two Walmart locations of which I am aware that stock reloading supplies and those shelves were pretty much bare, too.  I wanted to hit the Oak Ridge Wally, too, but we ended up being in a hurry to get home so I didn't.  Anyhow, the point is I did drive around and still really didn't find much.  All the Walmart locations I have been in were nearly out of most 12 gauge ammo, didn't have a lot in the way of 20 gauge ammo and didn't even have any .22 WMR.

Weekend before last I was in the Athens Wally and all they didn't have much in the way of ammo, either.  The same was true of the Walmart in Madisonville and the one in Maryville (on 411) the last time I was in either of those but that was two or three weeks ago.

I keep hearing good things about South Clinton Pawn but have never been in there.  That isn't exactly my neck of the woods and when I am up that way it always seems to be when they are closed.  I haven't checked Frontier Firearms, lately.  I find their prices to be a bit high even when there isn't a shortage so I rarely go in there.  I might have to go soon, though.  My favorite LGS was running pretty low on ammo when I was last in there.

Edited by JAB

We're nowhere close to being at an end to this. We have 2 years to the mid term elections. For the next 24 months we have to be vigilant and vocal. The bloody damn liberals will do everything in their power to defeat us and negate our rights.

Forget ammo...that's the least of our worries.

We're nowhere close to being at an end to this. We have 2 years to the mid term elections. For the next 24 months we have to be vigilant and vocal. The bloody damn liberals will do everything in their power to defeat us and negate our rights.

Forget ammo...that's the least of our worries.

Yep, perusal of completed auctions at GB indicate only a slight taming of the shrew at this point.

Sort of like gasoline skyrocketing, then coming back down, but still more than where it started. Except the firearm and ammo situation is worse. And like you, I doubt if we'll have a respite from doubt about what will indeed be enacted till toward the end of the 113th Congress in '14.

And of course, should the GOP lose the House, the 114th will be the real onslaught. I see no significant abatement toward the left in this country, and no real expectation of one till things get Really Bad for the majority.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I feel optimistic and I base it entirely on one premise:

" ...greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works."

-Gordon Gekko

Greed will force manufacturers to ramp up production.

They won't do it out of any kind of altruistic ideals.
They won't do it because they love us.
They won't do it because we've been loyal customers.

They will do it to make money, period.

Furthermore, they will only raise prices enough to recover their ramp-up costs, which will make them look kind. But in reality, they know this won't last forever and they don't wanna sit on all those extra machines or face the public scorn for laying off workers when "crazy" has past.

...and I don't blame them a bit.
  • Like 1

I am using gunbroker and the Ruger bx25 mag as my gauge for when things are settling down.

I will have a big sigh of relief when they are ending at or below $30. :popcorn:

That's what I'm talking about. Ammo is not my barometer, nor ARs. Magazines are. Once pmags get back to $12-$15 and bx25s down to about $25 is when I'll be confident that gun owners can stop fighting each other for commodities and start focusing their efforts on politicians instead.

The past few days I have noticed that Bud's has had multiple AR's listed in the regular sections of their website, not only on the auction part as has been the case for the past 6-8 weeks.

They currently have four different AR's listed, although prices still suck somewhat.  I'd say they'd be back close to normal in 3-4 more weeks.