Air rifle for shtf

So with the recent ammo shortage I decided to pick me up an air rifle for small game. I snatched up a gamo silent cat at a good price and have been stocking up on pellets. I decided to go with the .177 for the higher velocity. So far so good. I sighted the scope at 25 yards and can easily hit a nickle at 40. As soon as the weather warms up enough for furry critters to start moving more about I will test it out for lethality.  By the time that gets here I will have plenty of pellets and they are readily available and cheap. If it works like I hope this may turn out to be my new rodent elimination weapon of choice.

Guest RobThatsMe

Deja vu reading this Thread.

Congrats on your air gun purchase!

I just bought the Crossman Venum Nito Dusk last week.

It came with a nice variable scope too!  3-9x32 CenterPoint Scope.

Still breaking it in, shooting a a paint can at 25 yds. 

I wont get serious about zero'ing in the scope until I get over 100 rounds through it.

My main reason for getting this was for varment control around the house.

Nice to only pay about $6.00 for 500 rounds!  I am shooting the Crossman Premier Hollow Point rounds for now.

I'll experiment with others soon.

So with the recent ammo shortage I decided to pick me up an air rifle for small game. I snatched up a gamo silent cat at a good price and have been stocking up on pellets. I decided to go with the .177 for the higher velocity. So far so good. I sighted the scope at 25 yards and can easily hit a nickle at 40. As soon as the weather warms up enough for furry critters to start moving more about I will test it out for lethality.  By the time that gets here I will have plenty of pellets and they are readily available and cheap. If it works like I hope this may turn out to be my new rodent elimination weapon of choice.

Congrats on your airgun purchase! I'm in the market for one myself. Just remember though, no matter how warm the weather gets, the shooting of some critters is governed by law as to season and weapon. "Practicing" for SHTF situations still calls for LAWS to be followed. Small game season ends the 28th of February. You should have a few warm days by then. Report back and let us know how that .177 worked out!

Happy Hunting!

Dave S

Ignoring the price, the Crosman Rogue in .357 could possibly be the greatest factory air rifle.

If I were to go with a new air rifle, it would be a PCP rifle.

Ignoring the price, the Crosman Rogue in .357 could possibly be the greatest factory air rifle.

If I were to go with a new air rifle, it would be a PCP rifle.

That thing is ridiculous, and so is the price. Yet I really, really, really want one if for nothing more than "yeah, I have a .357 air rifle." 

I found a good deal on one as well. Plus after shooting a friends that was pretty loud I'm hoping the Silent cat will be as promised ... Quieter

The noise from an air rifle is the projectile breaking the speed of sound, so for quieter shooting stay away from the PBA, or any "alloy" supersonic pellets plus I've found they don't penetrate very good because they are so light and soft. If you go with the actual lead pellets then all you will hear is the spring unload no noise from the muzzle or projectiles.

The noise from an air rifle is the projectile breaking the speed of sound, so for quieter shooting stay away from the PBA, or any "alloy" supersonic pellets plus I've found they don't penetrate very good because they are so light and soft. If you go with the actual lead pellets then all you will hear is the spring unload no noise from the muzzle or projectiles.

Depends on the rifle ... the 1250-1500 fps (rated with PBA) ones will generally still go supersonic with the normal 7.5 gr and lighter lead pellets. The heavy ~10.5 gr lead pellets might make the diff, depending on rifle.

- OS

Depends on the rifle ... the 1250-1500 fps (rated with PBA) ones will generally still go supersonic with the normal 7.5 gr and lighter lead pellets. The heavy ~10.5 gr lead pellets might make the diff, depending on rifle.

- OS

Oops, didn't make myself clear, I have a silent cat and I have had only 1 lead pellet go supersonic out of the 150 or so lead pellets that I've shot through mine. Sure the guns that shoot 1250+ fps with supersonic alloys, you probably can't get those below supersonic. But specifically the silent cat you can shoot cheap daisy lead, or the gamo redfire, or the gamo bone collector and keep it subsonic. Edited by tennessee01tacoma
  • 2 months later...