New gun owners and the range......watch your arse

Krull

I took my boss to the range the other day to train him on basic firearms usage.  He had an incident at his home a few weeks ago and it convinced him he needed to get some protection.  Anyway we pull up to the range and a long time shooting buddy of mine was there along with the biggest crowd I have ever seen.

My buddy says come here a minute, so my boss and I head over to talk to him.  He says stand back here and watch for a few minutes.  We had postitioned ourselves behind the firing line caddy corner to the range where we could see everything that was going on.  What i witnessed there over the next 15 minutes was something in all of my years (33) of shooting that was unprecendented. 

First thing I saw was a nice looking family of five, a daughter maybe 15, a son maybe 10, the daughters boyfriend the mom and the dad.  The 10 year old or so was shooting a single shot .410 straight into the ground 5 feet in front of him at a mud hole.  Then he handed it over to the mother so she could take her turn.  She attempted to fire the weapon and nothing. She then turned to her husband perpendicularly swingin the barrel down the firing line and gestured as if to say it didnt fire.  He then looked at it while the gun was pointing across the range and pulled the hammer back -- while pointing across the range and handed it back to her.  My buddy and I immediately called them on it.  The father got an attitude and stated he had been shotting all his life blaaa blaaa........anyway next incident

A younger kid was shotting a PX4 and shot a hole throught the roof.  I looked at my boss and said we will come back another time.  After talking with with the president of the range we are going to have to install range officers now or no shooting it looks like.  Anyway moral of the story there are lot of new people that have never fired a gun before that are buying Glocks, Xp's etc.

BE CAREFUL and do not take anything for granted.....watch before you shoot.

An indoor range near here a women shot her boyfriend (a instructor, LEO and former military)  when the hot brass went down her shirt......

Its a different age now, and some of us are not giving the LIBS water for the fire.

Edited by Krull
  • Like 4

My whole thing is we live in an age where everyone watches a few episodes of TAC TV and all of a sudden they are an expert.  Go be an expert riding dirt bikes or skateboards.  YOU CAN NOT be an expert shooter overnight.  But yet it seems people suddenly think they are after reading Combat Handgunnery or a few issues of Soldier of Fortune.  Its a little unnerving.  Im afraid we are just tipping the barrell for range accidents that will fuel the fire for LIBs.

Although relatively new to pistols, I've hunted with shotguns and rifles practically my whole life.  Safety was always stressed from the time I handled my first .22.  Frankly, I don't want to be anywhere around several of the people that were in my concealed carry class a few weeks ago when they have a loaded firearm.  It's one reason I haven't purchased a range membership as much as I would like to.  It's the same reason I always avoided public hunts on WMAs.

• Like 1

My whole thing is we live in an age where everyone watches a few episodes of TAC TV and all of a sudden they are an expert.  Go be an expert riding dirt bikes or skateboards.  YOU CAN NOT be an expert shooter overnight.  But yet it seems people suddenly think they are after reading Combat Handgunnery or a few issues of Soldier of Fortune.  Its a little unnerving.  Im afraid we are just tipping the barrell for range accidents that will fuel the fire for LIBs.

could this be Obama's strategy?

get lots of new gun owners ... who go to the range and shoot those with experience?!?! and who will submit to the protective gun registration and confiscation because of all the evil accidents they themselves created with poor shooting skills?!?! :squint:

• Like 2

Before I even went to the range for my first time last year, I read several articles on safety and range etiquette.  I watched several videos as well.  I am still on edge and aware of where my muzzle is pointed when I am there.  

This is not only for me to keep from being embarrassed, but for the safety of others as well.

Pride and conceit are such a road block to constructive instruction.  And dangerous!

Edited by knox
  • Like 2

I suspect that most of those type shooters are the ones who buy a gun, go to a range, shoot a box of ammo, take it home and don't shoot again for a year or more, if ever. 

Come to think of it, that probably applies to most gun owners. They shoot every year or 2 and think they are proficient with their gun. 

Scary.

• Like 1

Public ranges scare the crap out of me.  Not good since I don't have a place to shoot on my property anymore.

Ours is private -- record number of new members though -- 87 last month alone which is more than joined all of last year.  Next topic at our meeting is stricter requirements to join,,,what those might be who knows right now. My suggestion is pass a proficency test.  We will see.

Ours is private -- record number of new members though -- 87 last month alone which is more than joined all of last year.  Next topic at our meeting is stricter requirements to join,,,what those might be who knows right now. My suggestion is pass a proficency test.  We will see.

That's a tricky subject.  As a gun owner I think that it is important to pass our hobby along to others and instituting a proficiency test, if you are referring to being able to score a certain number to pass could be prohibitive for new shooters.  This is very similar situation to when I have helped new motorcycle riders get used to riding on a race track.  I always tell them not to worry about going fast but to concentrate on their fundamental skills and make sure that they are riding safely and not endangering others around them.  The same principles apply at a gun range.  I'm not worried about a new shooter hitting the bullseye, but if they practice safe gun handling skills and work on their fundamentals accuracy like speed will come with time.  Another motorcycle analogy, I'd rather ride (shoot) with someone who is slow and safe than someone who is fast (accurate) and careless.  

• Like 1
And herein lies the conundrum. We complain about all of the unsafe morons we encounter and say how they shouldn't own a firearm, but we fight against any efforts to require gun owners possess some level of knowledge and skill before owning a firearm. Until we can effectively address this issue as gun owners, we will not see an end to the push to regulate access to firearms though bans and mag capacity limits. I'm almost to a point where one must demonstrate the ability to properly handle, maintain, store, and use a firearm. When the Second Amendment was written, the majority of the population had some reasonable level of experience handling firearms. Also, a single shot musket or a revolver was a bit less of a safety issue than a Glock since it took a bit more effort to load and fire. I know this approach is unlikely to be popular with many here on TGO, but we require people to demonstrate safe driving skill and knowledge of traffic laws before being allowed to legally operate a vehicle. Many, including me, are suggesting that people should be required to demonstrate some basic understanding of American government before being allowed to vote. People now have to take a hunter safety class before getting their hunting license.

In discussing this with my wife the other night, she reminded me of the negligent discharge I had with my first firearm that I obtained when I was 18. Although it seems common sense to me now, I didn't check the chamber when I picked it up and fired a shot off through my TV, my bedroom wall, the sofa in the next room, and the bookshelf on the other side of the room. Fortunately nobody was injured. I had never really handled a gun before, had not been taught gun safety, and yet was able to buy a rifle and take it home. I don't pretend to suggest that such an approach would eliminate all negligent uses of a firearm, but it certainly couldn't hurt.
  • Like 3

I was at a range last year when a family was there with I believe was about an 10-12 yeqar old girl. By my observations, they all were pretty knowlegable till the girl locked and loaded her pistol in the bench area and walked to the firing line with the loaded gun, with the muzzle swung across the entire firing line. The parents were busy loading magazines and paid her no mind, i assume because they thought she was proficient enough to know what she was doing. I don't care how good you think your kid is, you don't let them handle loaded guns without proper supervision.

Just Sunday I heard a similar story about one of our indoor ranges here in Nashville that I won't name.

Fortunately for me I work an odd schedule so I can go to the range during the daytime hours of the weekdays. There are rarely many people there to have to watch. Range safety is very important and should never be taken for granted. The guy who got upset is a jerk and should appreciate learning that he and his family need to focus more on safety.

• Like 1

Thats the reason I only go now with husband or/and with our TGO friends.. I know that they would  NEVER pull crapp like that ..

We used to go to a different Range but  there have been times that I wanted ot scream at people because they where not careful and seemed to have no common sense at all.

I am always afraid to point out stuff at a range in fear they would freak out and maybe do soemthing really dumb..You never know these days..

And herein lies the conundrum. We complain about all of the unsafe morons we encounter and say how they shouldn't own a firearm, but we fight against any efforts to require gun owners possess some level of knowledge and skill before owning a firearm. Until we can effectively address this issue as gun owners, we will not see an end to the push to regulate access to firearms though bans and mag capacity limits. I'm almost to a point where one must demonstrate the ability to properly handle, maintain, store, and use a firearm. When the Second Amendment was written, the majority of the population had some reasonable level of experience handling firearms. Also, a single shot musket or a revolver was a bit less of a safety issue than a Glock since it took a bit more effort to load and fire. I know this approach is unlikely to be popular with many here on TGO, but we require people to demonstrate safe driving skill and knowledge of traffic laws before being allowed to legally operate a vehicle. Many, including me, are suggesting that people should be required to demonstrate some basic understanding of American government before being allowed to vote. People now have to take a hunter safety class before getting their hunting license.

In discussing this with my wife the other night, she reminded me of the negligent discharge I had with my first firearm that I obtained when I was 18. Although it seems common sense to me now, I didn't check the chamber when I picked it up and fired a shot off through my TV, my bedroom wall, the sofa in the next room, and the bookshelf on the other side of the room. Fortunately nobody was injured. I had never really handled a gun before, had not been taught gun safety, and yet was able to buy a rifle and take it home. I don't pretend to suggest that such an approach would eliminate all negligent uses of a firearm, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

I support 100% teaching gun safety in the same class kids have in school that teaches them how to have sex and how to take drugs.   I do not know a single gun owner who would be against this.

I thought about taking the training for RO and becoming one at ORSA, but I don't think I want the responsibility that would come with it.

I might take the class still but not sure I want to be in charge like that.  People are just do dam unpredictable

I support 100% teaching gun safety in the same class kids have in school that teaches them how to have sex and how to take drugs.   I do not know a single gun owner who would be against this.

OK, I get your point and don't necessarily disagree, but exactly what class do they teach kids to have sex and take drugs?  

• Like 1
Thought of this thread today as I got sweeped at a gun store.

I was hanging out at the local gun shop today when an older gent, 70ish? Walked in with a pistol case in his hand. Store owner asks him what he needs and the guy pulls out the pistol, complaining of the trigger pull on his revolver.

As it came out of the case he begins dry firing it, sweeping it towards me. The store owner lunges toward the revolver as it covers me. I'm ducking and pretty much headed for the floor.

The man looks puzzled as he says, "it's not loaded."

I won't go into my verbal response.

Lesson I learned today. You won't have time to run when someone really wants to be stupid.