I need a couple more 5-gallon fuel cans. I refuse to pay $20 for a crappy plastic can at the Walmart or Lowes. The "safer" they make the nozzles, the junkier they get.

So can I get any leads on a good metal can in the Knox area? I would also buy a plastic can if it's reasonably priced.

Sportsman's Guide has metal "jerry" cans for less than 30 bucks but if I can get some locally and save on shipping, I'd rather do that.

Thanks,

Will
A little pricey, but that's about what I would expect for a high quality metal jerry can. Looks like the ones I used to use when I worked with NPS and they were really good. I hope to find something a bit cheaper, though.

I may end up getting those eventually anyway. I'll check the surplus stores first though.

Thanks.

Will

I was shopping for a gas can back in November and was blown away and how "safe" they've tried to make them. I ended up getting one from Lowe's that has so many annoying safety features it should come with an owners manual.

I'd love to find a bare bones gas can that doesn't cost a fortune. 

Exactly.  I saw the same thing with the ones at Walmart.  It's ridiculous.

I'll probably stop by Greene's next week.  I also think I know where that surplus store is on Alcoa Hwy that gjohnsonIV mentioned.  It's pretty nondescript, but I've passed it thousands of times.

Thanks,

Will

• 4 weeks later...

I like the Scepter Military Fuel Cans.  They are not CARB compliant so they aren't sold directly to public in the US.  You can easily find new ones that are pricey or used ones that aren't pretty.  I've found them in surplus stores on a back shelf for $20.  There's a guy on Ebay from College Station that selling used ones 2/$40 without a gasket or $2/50 with a gasket.  For gas use, you want the Viton gasket.  You can buy gaskets and lids from DS Tactical out of Canada.  Don't buy too much or you end up paying duties. 

Edited by jlautiger
I refuse to buy any with the new-fangled safety nozzles, I ran out of gas last year (borrowed someone elses truck, they forgot to tell me that their gauge was busted) & had to walk to a gas station, spent $24 dollars on a crappy plastic 1 gallon can w/that damn safety nozzle, walked back to the truck & that damn safety nozzle broke the first time I tried to use it.

$24 dollars down the tube, where as at home I have older plastic cans with the plain yellow nozzles ranging from 1 to 2 to 5 gallons in size that have lasted 15+ years & have given me no troubles what-so ever.

I gave up on metal cans after one that had rusted inside clogged the fuel sock in my truck, didn't notice that the inside of the 5 gallon Jerry can had corroded, poured the gas into the truck from it, then ended up having to drop my fuel tank to get to the fuell pump sock, was a massive hassle, switched to plastic cans w/mesh screens in spouts afterwards, no problems since other than that safety nozzle.

I like the Scepter Military Fuel Cans.  They are not CARB compliant so they aren't sold directly to public in the US.  You can easily find new ones that are pricey or used ones that aren't pretty.  I've found them in surplus stores on a back shelf for $20.  There's a guy on Ebay from College Station that selling used ones 2/$40 without a gasket or $2/50 with a gasket.  For gas use, you want the Viton gasket.  You can buy gaskets and lids from DS Tactical out of Canada.  Don't buy too much or you end up paying duties. 

+1

I have done the same as jlautiger describes.  Its a shame we have to go through so much trouble just to get gas cans that work.

I also found 3 new condition Scepter military fuel cans w/ viton gaskets at the Hendersonville gun show last fall.  One of the surplus vendors had them mixed in with their other surplus items. 

Saw some simple gas cans at Northern Tool last week.  Just saw a John Stossel report on Fox about the liability lawyer that filed the lawsuit that shut down a gas can company that employed over 100 people , just because stupid people have burned themselves because of their ignorance.

Edited by av88tor
  • 4 weeks later...

funny you mention DS tactical... I went to their store in westminster BC on my way to Alaska last summer and bought 2 sceptre cans to carry extra fuel for my truck. They are the best. Where have you found cans locally? (to TN) I managed to find one in Idaho on CL and picked it up on my way driving back down (it was reasonably priced). Most guys on CL or ebay want like $100/can. Crazy.

I keep 5 gallons of gas on hand in case of a bad hurricane down here. I keep stabil in it and change it out every 6-8 months.

Two weekends ago I attempted to empty the can into our car. What a disaster, I've not said that many cuss words since Obama was re-elected in November. The new cans have so many safety features it took 30 minutes to empty the can. There is no air hole in the back of the can so the gas comes out slower than I can piss.

I have got to find a real gas can somewhere. 

• Like 1