Has Zimmerman Waived His Right to a Pre-Trial "Stand-Your-Ground" Hearing?

Guest Law of Self Defense

I watched some CNN today........WTF have they been watching?

a woman on  the CNN jury last night, with a straight face said she believed after Zimmerman shot Martin he called one of his buddies to punch him in the face and bounce his head off the concrete.  If she believes some crap like this it is a real possibility a actual juror believes it.

This is no way a slam dunk for the defense. 

I honestly have no feel at all for how the trial is going.

I watched some CNN today........WTF have they been watching?

a woman on the CNN jury last night, with a straight face said she believed after Zimmerman shot Martin he called one of his buddies to punch him in the face and bounce his head off the concrete. If she believes some crap like this it is a real possibility a actual juror believes it.

Sadly, you're absolutely right. But there again, I'm ok if just one believes it

a woman on  the CNN jury last night, with a straight face said she believed after Zimmerman shot Martin he called one of his buddies to punch him in the face and bounce his head off the concrete.  If she believes some crap like this it is a real possibility a actual juror believes it.

CNN is a big magnet for idiots. Did Z's buddy beat up Trayvon's hands too? When they're deliberating (arguing) before the verdict, those kind of dumbass ideas will get shot down by other jurors. If there was no deliberation, few if any juries would return a verdict.

Guest Lester Weevils

Them jurors done got a nerve-wracking job with awful pressure and responsibility. If they convict Zimmerman then millions of them creepy ass crackers will burn down suburbs all across the nation! :)

Zimmerman Trial Day 8: Live Video, Analysis of State's Case & Witnesses

Hey folks,

Today we will again be covering the Zimmerman Trial live, all day, with streaming video. Continuing commentary will be posted in the Twitter feed of selected contributors below the first video feed, and breaking news will be added at the bottom of this post.

During the lunch recess, or immediately thereafter, we will post a mid-day update. We'll then follow up with the usual detailed end-of-day wrap up, including video and embedded Tweets, at the usual time in the evening.

Today court is expected to start at 8:30AM with a hearing, before the jury is brought into the courtroom, on whether to admit into evidence the State’s proffer of Zimmerman’s college records, his application to a Virginia police academy (he used to live in VA), and his application to do a “ride-along” with police officers (an opportunity offered by many departments).  As soon as that hearing is over the trial proper is expected to begin.

You can watch it all her LIVE:

[URL=http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/07/zimmerman-trial-day-8-live-video-analysis-of-states-case-witnesses/]Zimmerman Trial Day 8: Live Video, Analysis of State’s Case & Witnesses[/URL]

You see our analysis and video of yesterday’s courtroom testimony, including Chris Serino’s equivocation, Mark Osterman’s very favorable testimony, Zimmerman’s appearance on Sean Hannity, the odd medical testimony of imported medical examiner Dr. Rao, and the brief and uninformative testimony of fingerprint expert Kristine Benson, here:

[URL=http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/07/zimmerman-update-exclusive-mid-day-7-serino-more-ambivalent-osterman-supports-self-defense/]Zimmerman Update Exclusive — Mid-Day 7 — Serino more ambivalent, Osterman supports self-defense[/URL]

and here:

[URL=http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/07/zimmerman-trial-day-7-wrap-up-prosecution-recovers-a-little-prepared-to-introduce-college-records-2/]Zimmerman Trial Day 7 Wrap Up: Prosecution recovers a little, prepared to introduce college records[/URL]

For all of our prior coverage on day-to-day events in court, as covered here at Legal Insurrection, click here:

[URL=http://legalinsurrection.com/tag/george-zimmerman-trial/]ARCHIVE: Zimmerman Trial LIVE coverage all day, every day[/URL]

For all of our prior coverage on issues specific to the Law of Self Defense as covered at my own blog, click here:

[URL=http://lawofselfdefense.com/blog/]Law of Self Defense Blog: Zimmerman Trial[/URL]

(NOTE: As much as I appreciate everyone visiting the LOSD blog, be sure to return to Legal Insurrection to comment, as nearly all my time is spent there for the duration of the trial. Handy links are provided everywhere that might be useful.)

Andrew

[URL=@LawSelfDefense]@LawSelfDefense[/URL] (or [URL=@LawSelfDefense2]@LawSelfDefense2[/URL] when I am in Twitmo--follow both!)

[URL=https://www.facebook.com/pages/Law-of-Self-Defense/176397865719110]Facebook: Law of Self Defense[/URL]

a woman on the CNN jury last night, with a straight face said she believed after Zimmerman shot Martin he called one of his buddies to punch him in the face and bounce his head off the concrete. If she believes some crap like this it is a real possibility a actual juror believes it.

I think that's why they screen them. At any rate, if someone bent on sending Zimmerman to jail is sitting in the jury box and has been able to hide their sinister plot all along, I doubt that there would be more than one. That will result in a mistrial, or the judge losing her mind berating the jury until the hold out capitulates. A mistrial for Zimmerman might as well be a not guilty verdict. The state won't try him again.

Edited by TMF
  • Like 2

I think that's why they screen them. At any rate, if someone bent on sending Zimmerman to jail is sitting in the jury box and has been able to his their sinister plot all along, I doubt that there would be more than one. That will result in a mistrial, or the judge losing her mind berating the jury until the hold out capitulates. A mistrial for Zimmerman might as well be a not guilty verdict. The state won't try him again.

Yep. The prosecutors might as well have had rubber dicks glued to their foreheads all week. I doubt that they want to go thru that again. :)

• Like 3

I think that's why they screen them. At any rate, if someone bent on sending Zimmerman to jail is sitting in the jury box and has been able to his their sinister plot all along, I doubt that there would be more than one. That will result in a mistrial, or the judge losing her mind berating the jury until the hold out capitulates. A mistrial for Zimmerman might as well be a not guilty verdict. The state won't try him again.

Yep. The prosecutors might as well have had rubber dicks glued to their foreheads all week. I doubt that they want to go thru that again. :)

Sometimes I just read these topics for the lol's, this post did not disappoint

Agreed, this trial showcased all of the reason's why this case should not have gone to trial in the first place.
Guest nra37922

BSNBC News Flash

Prosecution to introduce new evidence just unearthed today.  Hidden in Beatles 'White Album' track "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" is the phrase "Zimmerman killed Martin" when played backwards and audio enhanced.

Enough of the BS, this farce needs to end and GZ get what he can of his life back

Yeah, there is no argument there.  I know I'm gonna catch hell for still having this opinion, but I continue to believe that Zimmerman was emboldened by his carry piece to the point he intended to start a conflict so he could end it with his gun.  However, it is clear now there is no evidence to prove that, and if I was sitting on the jury there is no way I would convict him.  It might be early to call the game, but unless the prosecution has a reliable witness to testify to George's state of mind, and physical evidence to back it up, I don't see how anyone could convict him beyond a reasonable doubt. 

Even on Nancy Grace tonight (CNN HLN) they had a black expert sticking up for George Zimmerman.  If CNN has given up it's safe to say that the outcome of this case is clear.  Don't worry, PMSNBC will still be the voice of insanity.

Zimmerman Trial Day 8: Live Video, Analysis & Reader Poll: DNA Inconclusive & Judge Nelson Terse

Hey folks,

Just wrapped up Day 8 of Florida v. Zimmerman, and things went no better for the prosecution today than in prior days–indeed, the morning was pretty much a disaster for the offense. For details on the morning’s events, click here:

[URL=http://lawofselfdefense.com/zimmerman-trial-day-8-live-video-analysis-reader-poll-dna-inconclusive-judge-nelson-terse/]Zimmerman Update Exclusive — Mid-Day 8 — State Wins Evidentiary Battle, Loses Testimony War[/URL]

The afternoon involved mostly a tirad by Judge Nelson at the defense, and an interminable presentation of totally pointless DNS evidence over a period of several hours. To lighten things up, however, we do have a reader poll in which can you vote as to whether you believe that George Zimmerman should testify in his own defense. You can see these wondrous events here:

[URL=http://lawofselfdefense.com/zimmerman-trial-day-8-live-video-analysis-reader-poll-dna-inconclusive-judge-nelson-terse/]Zimmerman Trial Day 8: Live Video, Analysis & Reader Poll: DNA Inconclusive & Judge Nelson Terse[/URL]

First things first–Legal Insurrection presents yet another of our class-leading internet polls on Florida v. Zimmerman. Vote to lend your voice to whether George Zimmerman should be called by the defense to testify:

[B]July 4, Birthday of the Greatest Nation on Earth[/B]

Tomorrow, July 4, the celebration of the birth of the greatest nation on the face of the Earth, is a day off rest for the Court, and hopefully for most of you.

But not for this humble correspondent. Tomorrow we will present a post that prognosticates on the path forward for this trial including the prospects for mid-trial motions for a directed verdict, likely strategies and witnesses to be called by the defense, and how both the State and defense are likely to try to fit the developed facts in evidence, as well as circumstantial evidence, into the compelling narrative that is their closing arguments–and how closely those closing arguments are likely to align with the commitments they made to the jury at the start of this trial.

So, keep your eyes open for that tomorrow, and have a safe, wonderful, and fireworks-filled day of celebration of the birth of our great nation. (And go shoot some guns, BEST WAY EVAH to celebrate the 4th--especially military-type stuff.  I expect to have my Garand, AR, 1911, etc., all out to the range.)

Best,

Andrew

[URL=@LawSelfDefense]@LawSelfDefense[/URL] (and [URL=@LawSelfDefense2]@LawSelfDefense2[/URL] for when I'm in Twitmo--follow both!)

[URL=https://www.facebook.com/pages/Law-of-Self-Defense/176397865719110]Facebook:  Law of Self Defense[/URL]

A mistrial for Zimmerman might as well be a not guilty verdict. The state won't try him again.

Obviously he doesn't want a guilty verdict. With a hung jury he is still open to a civil lawsuit, which is sure to happen. In Florida a not guilty verdict will protect his livelihood, he will need cosmetic surgery and a name change though.
  • Like 1

Obviously he doesn't want a guilty verdict. With a hung jury he is still open to a civil lawsuit, which is sure to happen. In Florida a not guilty verdict will protect his livelihood, he will need cosmetic surgery and a name change though.

Thanks to the Sharpton, Jackson coalition. Both should rot in prison.

Well if it helps anyone sleep better there won't be a hung jury.  He will be found not guilty.  I expect a last minute plea deal from the prosecution which will be turned down.  There has yet to be a witness that the defense hasn't ripped apart and used as their own.

• Like 1
I know this is a day or so late, but somebody explain how/why the air marshall was allowed to give hours of heresay testimony?

Also, assuming the prosecution knew what GZ's bff would testify to, why on Earth would they call this witness? Was there a hidden "gotcha" in his tesimony that I missed?

I think that's why they screen them. At any rate, if someone bent on sending Zimmerman to jail is sitting in the jury box and has been able to hide their sinister plot all along, I doubt that there would be more than one. That will result in a mistrial, or the judge losing her mind berating the jury until the hold out capitulates. A mistrial for Zimmerman might as well be a not guilty verdict. The state won't try him again.

we all pretty much know woman are bat shit crazy.  I for one will not be surprised if all six jurors have the same opinion as this woman on CNN.

I don't think Florida will need to try him again.  They are going to find him guilty of something.

I know this is a day or so late, but somebody explain how/why the air marshall was allowed to give hours of heresay testimony?

Also, assuming the prosecution knew what GZ's bff would testify to, why on Earth would they call this witness? Was there a hidden "gotcha" in his tesimony that I missed?

It falls under the Admissions category of exceptions to hearsay rules under Florida law.  90.803

As far as a hidden gotcha,  no there really wasn't one,  they needed this witness on the stand because his recounting of the story Z told him that he published in his book was different than what z told the police.  The prosecution was attempting to point out inconsistencies in Zimmerman's story (a repeating theme throughout the trial).  It was pretty much all explained away on cross as being the witnesses recollection of the story 4 month later at the time of writing his book, and that at the time of writing he did not have contact with Zimmerman to verify the information he was writing to be wholly accurate.

The prosecutors have been able to point out some inconsistencies so far, but nothing i view as particularly significant.  I think that they were going for the quantity over quality approach and will likely hammer these more in their closing arguments.

Edited by c.a.willard
  • Like 1

It falls under the Admissions category of exceptions to hearsay rules under Florida law.  90.803

As far as a hidden gotcha,  no there really wasn't one,  they needed this witness on the stand because his recounting of the story Z told him that he published in his book was different than what z told the police.  The prosecution was attempting to point out inconsistencies in Zimmerman's story (a repeating theme throughout the trial).  It was pretty much all explained away on cross as being the witnesses recollection of the story 4 month later at the time of writing his book, and that at the time of writing he did not have contact with Zimmerman to verify the information he was writing to be wholly accurate.

The prosecutors have been able to point out some inconsistencies so far, but nothing i view as particularly significant.  I think that they were going for the quantity over quality approach and will likely hammer these more in their closing arguments.

I appreciate the answer thanks.

Seems like an expensive ploy,. That testimony sounded as close as we're gonna get of a 1st hand account assuming GZ doesn't take the stand.