What is the classic pump action shotgun

I took a hunter's safety course this weekend and had the opportunity to shoot a classic Remington 870. What a great firearm! Let me know what your choice is for a "go to" shotgun and what luck you've had with hunting.

I currently don't have any shotguns; handguns and rifles are in my current stock, but I'd like to do some dove hunting and maybe skeet or sporting clays. What are your recommendations for a good 12 gauge?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you cant go wrong with a Remy or a Winchester, but i prefer Mossbergs (namely, the 500's). they are tough as nails, will take a beating and keep on ticking. i have 3 and love them for everything from hunting small game to deer/hogs to defense...hard to beat the scattergun!

Guest Brian@GunDepot

Well, I'm not gonna go against the bandwagon of 870s.... but I will add another option or two...

The Benelli Nova and Super Nova are within the price range of the typical 870 and in my opinion are much better in quality and finish. Harrington and Richardson (H&R) also makes a pump action Pardner model shotgun that is decent in quality for less than the 870.

The 870 is a great gun, I'll testify to that... but there are more/other options that are just as good/better.

Well, I'm not gonna go against the bandwagon of 870s.... but I will add another option or two...

The Benelli Nova and Super Nova are within the price range of the typical 870 and in my opinion are much better in quality and finish. Harrington and Richardson (H&R) also makes a pump action Pardner model shotgun that is decent in quality for less than the 870.

The 870 is a great gun, I'll testify to that... but there are more/other options that are just as good/better.

No doubt..owned a Nova for turkey hunting and loved it. Both of my boys have New England Firearms 20 gauge singles for their turkey hunting.

There is just something about the feel and look of the 870 and its variants that is just the cats ass.

I put some tacticool on mine but hopefully didn't destroy the look you all have come to love about them.

IMG_0349.jpg

Guest GUTTERbOY

I had a Browning BPS once upon a time, but was forced to sell it during some hard times. I fully intend to buy another one. Yeah, I liked it.

But you can't beat an 870 Express for cost-efficiency.

Oh yes the FN Tacticals are quite sexy...nice one Punisher...err...nice that you have one since thats not yours. Mossberg 500's are cheap, versatile, and the barrels are super easy to switch plus there are a lot of deals where you get a 18" barrel for HD and a 28" barrel for hunting in a package along with a pistol grip and long stock for around $300.00 Thats the route I would go if I didnt have a single shotgun. Currently I have an old school Mossberg 500 Coal Creek got working right for me and a Remy 870 AOW on the way if the ATF quits draggin their a$$.