Ammo must be slowly coming back around

Krull

I've done ok. By adding here and there when I found normal prices, I now have at least 1500 rounds of everything I shoot, and 3 cases of skeet 20 gauge. I'm done until the shelves are full and the super sales are on because of overstocking.....then I'll REALLY load up! I have a very hungry ammo safe. LOL! Edited by Randall53
  • Like 1

Although not as many as other sites, we've had our fair share,

We've had more than enough in my opinion. As I've said many times I'm over this crap.

And I don't care if it's "whining", I'm calling BS when I see it. We're too much a persecuted community already to be screwing each other. I'm as sick of seeing the jacked up prices as I am of being given economics reminders of the "free market".

How about following the rules of the forum instead of posting in every high priced ammo ad with a snide remark?

As per the rules:

Updated Tuesday, January 22, 2013

7. You understand that you may not make a public reply to a Trading Post thread designed to interfere with the sale or trade of an item. Examples are replies stating that an item can be found cheaper elsewhere, or that the price is too high, or that you have a similar item for sale for less, etc. If you wish to haggle, do it privately with the seller. No one cares what you think about the price or availability of an item.

Now you may not agree with their prices, but they paid the $20 benefactors charge just as you did to sell here. So as long as they are following the rules, then shouldn't you give them the same courteousy? How would you feel if someone jacked up every for sale thread you posted?

Edit: Dolo posted while I was typing. He said exactly what I was thinking.

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere Edited by Spots
  • Like 1

If you think someone is gouging then just shut your dam mouth. Post something negative in someone's ad and you will be punished. If you have nothing positive to say the shut your mouth. What is going to happen is the classifieds are going to go back to no one allowing to ask questions or leave comments. And that will impact everyone who wants to sell.
As much as I do not like it either we cannot force anyone to sell something for less than they want to. Just like the seller can't force a buyer to spend more.
I suspect there are going to be a lot of people gone by Monday.

I agree and have no problem with the rules. I just move on. I am very surprised though when these items sell here. My experience has shown a LOT of savvy and forthright people on this forum. That's why I like this place so much. You ask a question, you get excellent info as an answer. Been my experience anyway.

An individual selling in the forum marketplace is one thing. I don't whine about that. 9 times out of 10 it's someone trying to unload something they don't want or need (not a bad thing), or they are selling out of necessity-- needing the cash for something else. Most Ads that I've seen have been pretty fair, even in the current market climate. Why? Because we are a relatively small and fairly close-knit (as "close" as an online community might be described). Still, for those few who might price well above the norm, I won't bash them, just let them be and they'll either find a buyer or figure it out otherwise.

Brazen retailers like CTD are something else entirely. When your prices change daily with the prevailing winds, you might as well sell gasoline instead of ammo. CTD stuck it to some folks in 2008, and this time around they not only stuck it in, they broke the darn thing off. Their quadrupling of P-mag prices within a few hours period of Newtown still gets my hackles up-- and there wasn't even a proposed ban at the time. And the sudden closure of their firearms section at the same time, while posting some message about "CTD does not sell firearms", well... It smacks just a little too much like they just stuck their finger in the wind in order to decide how they could make the quickest buck-- ethics be damned.

Their latest flyer was a total waste of trees... why even publish the darn thing if you aren't going to put any prices in it?

Yes, I still get their flyers, although I won't buy from them. It's my very small way of getting into their pocket for a change. They have the honor of spending money to print the flyer/catalog, spend the money on postage, and then listen to crickets. If they had business reply cards, I'd attach one to a cinderblock and mail it back. I know they'll figure it out eventually, after they dont receive any orders from me for a year or so, they'll eventually cull my mailing address from the herd.

Edited by tartanphantom
And one more thing. If the seller is asking too much for you then make them an offer or tell them but by PM only. Some sellers honestly think it is a fair price but if enough people counter offer with lower prices the seller might come down. But again use a PM if it can be viewed as negative in any way like public ally offering someone 10% of their asking price.

If you have nothing positive to say then don't post it. If you absolutely must say something then take it to PM's but be respectful. Name calling, insults or using profanity will be addressed.
  • Like 2

And one more thing. If the seller is asking too much for you then make them an offer or tell them but by PM only. Some sellers honestly think it is a fair price but if enough people counter offer with lower prices the seller might come down. But again use a PM if it can be viewed as negative in any way like public ally offering someone 10% of their asking price.
If you have nothing positive to say then don't post it. If you absolutely must say something then take it to PM's but be respectful. Name calling, insults or using profanity will be addressed.

That's seems. fair enough.
  • Like 1

I think they got rid of the 100% markup thing because the market is so volatile right meow no one knows what that value is anymore and it takes too much time to find out.

Personally  Jacking someone out of money goes against my grain, although I have recently traded two bricks of .Federal 22LR off for 2K CCI small pistol primers.

Edited by Will H

Although not as many as other sites, we've had our fair share,

We've had more than enough in my opinion. As I've said many times I'm over this crap.

And I don't care if it's "whining", I'm calling BS when I see it. We're too much a persecuted community already to be screwing each other. I'm as sick of seeing the jacked up prices as I am of being given economics reminders of the "free market".

How about following the rules of the forum instead of posting in every high priced ammo ad with a snide remark?

As per the rules:

Updated Tuesday, January 22, 2013

7. You understand that you may not make a public reply to a Trading Post thread designed to interfere with the sale or trade of an item. Examples are replies stating that an item can be found cheaper elsewhere, or that the price is too high, or that you have a similar item for sale for less, etc. If you wish to haggle, do it privately with the seller. No one cares what you think about the price or availability of an item.

Now you may not agree with their prices, but they paid the $20 benefactors charge just as you did to sell here. So as long as they are following the rules, then shouldn't you give them the same courteousy? How would you feel if someone jacked up every for sale thread you posted?

Edit: Dolo posted while I was typing. He said exactly what I was thinking.

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

I thought part of the rules of the forum is not to post something over 100% of it value. ?

I thought part of the rules of the forum is not to post something over 100% of it value. ?

The value of an item is determined by what people are willing to pay for it.

Yeah got that in about the third grade.....the rules are jumping around.

One day no posts over 100% of the post madness prices and now it's do whatever.

The value of an item is determined by what people are willing to pay for it.

That rule was very short-lived. It would have required far too much time and energy for TGO's staff to price check everything that appeared to be priced above retail. Plus, as retarded as some prices are around here, it is a free-market system.
  • Like 1

Perhaps you could help the staff out and volunteer to MSRP check everything listed in the classified section.  They tried a rule and quickly found it did not work.  That's better than what we see in government and a lot of employers where they try a rule, find it don't work and keep trying it anyway.  I am not trying to argue, just sayin.

Whatever you guys say, This wasnt a whining POST thread o anything like that - it was an observational thread that the ammo is coming back around.  People arent getting the prices they asked for on other sites so now they are fishing. I get it, pay 20 bucks and post whatever prices you want.....noone is complaining about that especially me.  I have around 9000 rounds of .22 and if someone wants to give me 20 cents a round for it -- take it all!!!!!!!!!!!! hell ill throw in a couple of .22 guns to go with it...

My whole point is the thread meant what it said.....ammo is coming back around and fishers are fishing to unload what they probabaly overpaid for.  I picked up 3 bricks of .22 for 21 bucks a bruck tuesday.......i have found 300 rounds of 9mm (limit on boxes or i would have bought more) and even found a bunch of .380. 

I posted in a thread because i thought for sure it was a typo .... next thing you know im a free market hater.

Funny how things work........

My boss was looking for some 22 ammo to go shoot with his son couple weeks ago. He was shocked there was none to be found. I gave him a couple boxes and told him to wait till the madness goes away and just replace the ammo.

Told him to keep his eye on Walmart, Academy and Sportsmans Warehouse.

I vote with my dollars and reward these companies.

I bought a nice spotting scope this weekend at SW and told them the reason I bought there instead of online is because of their pricing policies even though I could of got it cheaper online.

The scariest thought that occurred to me is if there is no real shortage on ammo and people react like this ... What will happen when there is a perceived FOOD SHORTAGE?

My boss was looking for some 22 ammo to go shoot with his son couple weeks ago. He was shocked there was none to be found. I gave him a couple boxes and told him to wait till the madness goes away and just replace the ammo.

Told him to keep his eye on Walmart, Academy and Sportsmans Warehouse.

I vote with my dollars and reward these companies.

I bought a nice spotting scope this weekend at SW and told them the reason I bought there instead of online is because of their pricing policies even though I could of got it cheaper online.

The scariest thought that occurred to me is if there is no real shortage on ammo and people react like this ... What will happen when there is a perceived FOOD SHORTAGE?

we do not want to see what happens if there is a food shortage....some think we are about to find out though.  There is a book called one second after.... its about EMP attack on the US and is set in black mountain, NC -- very scary book

It deals with shortage of meds, food etc after the SHTF...... I hoep we never find out

Edited by Krull
I wouldn't sweat it. It's frustrating to many of us. I will come back around, sooner or later. We're seeing it where ARs are concerned, and we'll see it where ammo is concerned.

A large number of folks paid way too much for stuff, and based on recent conversations I've had with folks who've attempted to make trade offers for things I've had listed, some are quickly trying to pawn it off on others.

I had one guy offer to trade some .223 reloads that he paid .70/round for at a local gun show, but he wasn't willing to let go of the .223 that he'd paid .40/round for. Needless to say, his search for a sucker didn't end with me.
  • Like 1

We changed it because who are we to say what is fair. It had very little to do with price checking each ad and had everything to do with minding our own business. We have no right to dictate what someone can sell something for and that is why we changed it. The market, as in the buyer and seller, will dictate what is fair. Who would have thought a DPMS AR was worth $2K but a few months ago it was.

And just because something cost a certain amount doesn't mean prices haven't gone up. Check the MSRP of a 1969 Camaro vs today or a 1967 Corvette.

The .20 a round you guys keep referring to was in fact a DEAL. Don't believe me, then why did it sell very quickly? Try to find Eley for .20 a round. I know the last time I bought some, before this craziness, it was $12 for a box of 50 or .24 a round. Yeah the Eley Club is cheap but it is no better than any other cheap ammo. Or better yet try to find any 22 ammo right now. And .20 a round is still far better than not having ammo. I suspect some of us here who are complaining about it are going to be begging for .20 a round later this year.

Thing is we are going to have a very, very long road to go down as far as ammo is concerned. This is more than just a supply and demand problem as the ammunition makers are running 24/7 now. And it isn't just the gougers buying it all up or people stockpiling. The government has finally figured out, like I said years ago, that limiting ammunition is the way to make people more inclined to give up their guns. The huge ammo purchases are not for the government's use but to prevent us from getting our hands on it long term. .20 a round is going to be a steal in a year or two regardless of caliber. Surplus reloading materials are no longer able to be sold to the public like before. This is to put a burden on those that reload. And as those that reload can attest all of the buying by the government has dried up all components.

Here is a video that explains a lot about what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SxLMviYH95o#t=0s

Guest 6.8 AR

We changed it because who are we to say what is fair. It had very little to do with price checking each ad and had everything to do with minding our own business. We have no right to dictate what someone can sell something for and that is why we changed it. The market, as in the buyer and seller, will dictate what is fair. Who would have thought a DPMS AR was worth $2K but a few months ago it was.

And just because something cost a certain amount doesn't mean prices haven't gone up. Check the MSRP of a 1969 Camaro vs today or a 1967 Corvette.

The .20 a round you guys keep referring to was in fact a DEAL. Don't believe me, then why did it sell very quickly? Try to find Eley for .20 a round. I know the last time I bought some, before this craziness, it was $12 for a box of 50 or .24 a round. Yeah the Eley Club is cheap but it is no better than any other cheap ammo. Or better yet try to find any 22 ammo right now. And .20 a round is still far better than not having ammo. I suspect some of us here who are complaining about it are going to be begging for .20 a round later this year.

Thing is we are going to have a very, very long road to go down as far as ammo is concerned. This is more than just a supply and demand problem as the ammunition makers are running 24/7 now. And it isn't just the gougers buying it all up or people stockpiling. The government has finally figured out, like I said years ago, that limiting ammunition is the way to make people more inclined to give up their guns. The huge ammo purchases are not for the government's use but to prevent us from getting our hands on it long term. .20 a round is going to be a steal in a year or two regardless of caliber. Surplus reloading materials are no longer able to be sold to the public like before. This is to put a burden on those that reload. And as those that reload can attest all of the buying by the government has dried up all components.

Here is a video that explains a lot about what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SxLMviYH95o#t=0s

The answer to that video, Gordon, and I believe the guy on Savage's show, is to take those contracts and sit on them.

Of course they won't do that, out of fear from Ms, Janet and the full force and fury of the government, which is terrible

that they accept the bluff.

Hey, this is just a thread, like any other thread. So, what's up with Monday? I must have missed

something. I usually do. :D

Edited by 6.8 AR

I've done ok. By adding here and there when I found normal prices, I now have at least 1500 rounds of everything I shoot, and 3 cases of skeet 20 gauge. I'm done until the shelves are full and the super sales are on because of overstocking.....then I'll REALLY load up! I have a very hungry ammo safe. LOL!

I've always had a little more ammo than I shoot up in a reasonable time, so I think you're on the right track with your buying.

When stocks become available at a stable price again, what ever that may settle out to be; I'll add some more of my most wanted calibers as well.

As I've said to others, I'm in pretty good shape unless we have a civil insurrection, including my rifle calibers. But after seeing pics of the stash  owned by our friend southeast of here;

I'm really wanting to add a few more cases to my ammo safe. Which by the way, is actually an old stackon safe that was gutted after the 2010 floods.

I ripped out all the insulating materials, sanded and sealed the interior, and have pudt a few shelves in.

But lately, I've been thinking of breaking open the cases and putting most of it in marked ammo cans for ease of carry. Still considering that move  as it will change the amount of usuable storage space in the safe.

• Like 1

But lately, I've been thinking of breaking open the cases and putting most of it in marked ammo cans for ease of carry. Still considering that move  as it will change the amount of usuable storage space in the safe.

this

Guest nra37922

Bottom line is that the truth hurts and nothing wrong with calling a 'spade a spade'.  If someone is desperate enough to pay 2x, 3x or more for something it is their constitutional right to be stupid.  That said if someone were to offer me $1600+ for my LC9 and 500 rds of ammo I doubt if I would turn it down..

Academy Sports, Gander Mtn, Bass Pro, Midway and the other big boys haven't jacked their prices up you just have to be patient, and not desperate, to get ammo from them is all...