Question about transferring gun to kalifornia

I have seen on several gunbroker ads the statement that we will not ship to Kalifornia because of the new dealer to dealer transfer requirements. Any of you dealers know what the new requirements are? Just curious.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well we got a letter from State of California... honestly I read the first paragraph and then trashed it. Cant remember all the requirments, but we had to get approved for every gun we shipped out there... Seems its way too much trouble. Im sure if you go to this website it will explain.

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/06/18/new-california-law-restricts-ffl-to-ffl-gun-shipments-starting-july-1st/

Guest canynracer

They are doing that to keep the business in state....the gun shops are backing it...make it too much of a hassle to buy online....less competition

either way, my question is, my mother wants to send me my rifles from CA, I have to have her mail them to an FFL right?

They are doing that to keep the business in state....the gun shops are backing it...make it too much of a hassle to buy online....less competition...

Actually, if you read that link, the rule applies to INstate transfers, too, so I doubt if the Cali gun shops liked it either - same delay/hassle for them.

- OS

Guest canynracer
so if your a dealer/distributor, and your sending 25-30 to a dealer inj Cal. you have to get permission for all of them??

hmmm, not sure how that works, I would assume that the dealer/distirbutor would have some prior agreement with the CDOJ if the guns are going to the store, and not an individual....just a WAG though...

so if your a dealer/distributor, and your sending 25-30 to a dealer inj Cal. you have to get permission for all of them??

Yes. Much like the ATF Form 3310, but in reverse if that makes any sense.

Guest canynracer
Your rifles from California - go out there for a visit and then ship them to your self.

AWWWE CRAP!!!! Really, I can do that? muther ****er!!! I just got back!!!

hmmmm....must think..I need to go to the lab... (i mean the toilet)

Let see from the ATF:

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

from FedEx.com

Firearms

1. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
    2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

[*]If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.

[*]Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

[*]Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.

[*]The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.

[*]The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.

[*]G. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/us.html#firearms

So while you were out there you could have shipped them to your self care of another person. I don't know if FedEx will take them if your mom or some one else drops them off but since you are the owner and you are the recipient it should be okay.

Gosh, I would have figured a FedEx guy would have known this.

Guest Fltargetmaster

In the for what it's worth department, read that Fed Ex policy again. Despite the endorsement by the NSSF ( National Shooting Sports Foundation) Fed Ex is quite gun unfriendly. There are two sections to Fed Ex, Express and Ground...two different companies from what I am told. Anyway, Fed Ex at most places will demand the shipper show a license (FFL) before they ship. Last go around with Fed Ex to allow mature law abiding citizens to send firearms to themselves was met with a stone wall. UPS will too, but makes accommodations for shipping to yourself. UPS can go ground and it's quick enough and a whole lot cheaper than overnight. All handguns must go overnight with the theory being thieves take a long time to steal a handgun package.

What's the issue?? If you travel and plan to use your rifle for, oh let's say hunting in Michigan, and you want to fly you have several choices. Pack it a case and ship it on the plane as baggage and pay the extra price for the extra baggage. And if its over 61 total inches on some airlines you get hammered with another charge. Or, you pack it in a box ( wrap it well) and go to UPS and ship it to yourself at the destination. Or you drive and dont worry about it. Or you can disassemble the rifle, put it in a locked case and stick it in the baggage. From the hunters I know that go to Wyoming and Montana now....they try and ship by UPS. Less hassle, cheaper and pretty reliable. Or like a neighbor of mine did....he purchased a 30-30 out west, used it and sold it to another hunter at the lodge. Worked for him

No I am not affiliated with UPS but I have a son that works for FedEx

I don't know if FedEx will take them if your mom or some one else drops them off but since you are the owner and you are the recipient it should be okay.

That’s how I see it. No transfer of ownership is taking place; the weapons are simply being transported. If she declares them at the shipper and they take them, I don’t see a problem.

However, I am not a lawyer, haven’t played one on TV and didn’t sleep at a <ST1:pHoliday Inn last night.

Guest canynracer
In the for what it's worth department, read that Fed Ex policy again. Despite the endorsement by the NSSF ( National Shooting Sports Foundation) Fed Ex is quite gun unfriendly. There are two sections to Fed Ex, Express and Ground...two different companies from what I am told. Anyway, Fed Ex at most places will demand the shipper show a license (FFL) before they ship. Last go around with Fed Ex to allow mature law abiding citizens to send firearms to themselves was met with a stone wall. UPS will too, but makes accommodations for shipping to yourself. UPS can go ground and it's quick enough and a whole lot cheaper than overnight. All handguns must go overnight with the theory being thieves take a long time to steal a handgun package.

What's the issue?? If you travel and plan to use your rifle for, oh let's say hunting in Michigan, and you want to fly you have several choices. Pack it a case and ship it on the plane as baggage and pay the extra price for the extra baggage. And if its over 61 total inches on some airlines you get hammered with another charge. Or, you pack it in a box ( wrap it well) and go to UPS and ship it to yourself at the destination. Or you drive and dont worry about it. Or you can disassemble the rifle, put it in a locked case and stick it in the baggage. From the hunters I know that go to Wyoming and Montana now....they try and ship by UPS. Less hassle, cheaper and pretty reliable. Or like a neighbor of mine did....he purchased a 30-30 out west, used it and sold it to another hunter at the lodge. Worked for him

No I am not affiliated with UPS but I have a son that works for FedEx

I work for FedEx...its not all that unfriendly...I know we ship guns all the time, but we follow the laws...in other words, you cannot ship an out of state handgun without it going to an FFL. thats the law, not policy.

But this thread is not about all that, or me :shrug: so back on topic....LOL

We were not going to ship anything to California either, but then we also learned that any firearm being shipped even to a manufacturer has to be approved - such as Weatherby. We are direct with Weatherby and do have to send something back to them every now and agian, but now we have to get even those approved :cheers:.