Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, Golden Knights

Will H

Guest 6.8 AR

And a musical fest at the White House, last night. Those bastards slobbered all over each other, at our expense.

I'm wondering if the ending in one of Tom Clancy's books (Debt Of Honor) is going to happen, one of these days?

I had the honor to actually meet the Blue Angels when I was 11 years old. Even got to climb up the ladder and peek into a cockpit. Wouldn't let me sit in one though. :( Grounding all these folks is a shame. I guess it's good that the government is spending all of that extra money wisely though huh. :shake:

Just bye the bye, if you ever happen to find yourself in Pensacola, go to the Museum of Naval Aviation on base.  It is phenomenal.

Also, the Blue Angels are based at the NAS there-  you can watch them practice if you get there early enough in the morning.

You can basically get in on a free Blue Angels air show before you tour the museum. Just check the museum website for dates they practice.

I highly recommend it! :usa:

Edited by superduty

They were probably afraid you'd get stuck.

Don't feel bad though, they wouldn't let me ride the pony. lol

Oh no you just didn't!!! LOL. Believe it or not, I wasn't, how do you say, hefty, ahem, until I got married. However, that probably explains the "Crisco" callsign they gave me. (Sigh) Anyhoo, I think they were more afraid of the,  "Ooo Buttons!" reaction.

Edited by gnmwilliams
  • Like 1

Just bye the bye, if you ever happen to find yourself in Pensacola, go to the Museum of Naval Aviation on base.  It is phenomenal.

Also, the Blue Angels are based at the NAS there-  you can watch them practice if you get there early enough in the morning.

You can basically get in on a free Blue Angels air show before you tour the museum. Just check the museum website for dates they practice.

I can second this. I took the family last year. It was very cool and my son went nuts seeing all of the airplanes. I took a crap load of photos. Unfortunately we were a few months early to see the angels practice, but it was still well worth it.

We were planning a family vacation to the area expressly because of the museum and around the Blue Angles practice schedule.  Maybe next year.  :-\

Well, regardless of whether 'official' air shows are called off or not, I would imagine those guys still have to practice.

It may be worth a phone call.

Have to practice as a group?  Nope.  Have to get some flying hours in, yes.  But likely not even in the team planes.

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/explore/blue-angels-practices

Until further notice, the Blue Angels will NOT be practicing. However, the team will be at the National Naval Aviation Museum on Wednesday's at 11:30 a.m. to sign autographs in the Blue Angel Atrium.

Bummer.

Oh well, like I said, worth checking out, anyway.

Still surprising to me that they wouldn't practice as a group-  that is ultra-precision, super close flying that would seem like

continued practice and honing of skills would be necessary. Could get really dangerous fast is someone were off their game.

Bummer.

Oh well, like I said, worth checking out, anyway.

Still surprising to me that they wouldn't practice as a group-  that is ultra-precision, super close flying that would seem like

continued practice and honing of skills would be necessary. Could get really dangerous fast is someone were off their game.

Like most anything else, the skills do erode quickly without use.   They don't just immediately start flying 12" apart.  They have a very prescribed training method for how they work their way in to such close formations.  I've seen a few videos on how they get a new team member up to standards, its quite a lengthy process.