12000 dollar electric car you plug into any outlet

Krull

Yea I drive 25 miles or so a day just to work -- I wouldnt want one due to the safety and the kingsport crowd going to Eastman to work drive like maniacs -- wrecks every day.  Im also 6'6" so not sure how that would work -- but still pretty cool -- if you can plug into any outlet to use.....

I drove one of the Nissan Leafs a while back when I was buying my truck. I gotta say that car will actually haul ass. Electric motors have a lot of torque.

Yea I drive 25 miles or so a day just to work -- I wouldnt want one due to the safety and the kingsport crowd going to Eastman to work drive like maniacs -- wrecks every day.  Im also 6'6" so not sure how that would work -- but still pretty cool -- if you can plug into any outlet to use.....

The whole problem is still the batteries.  People call electric cars "green" because they don't emit CO2.  Ever looked into the manufacturing processes for the Li-ion batteries?  They use some pretty nasty stuff.  They're very difficult to recycle.  They're very expensive.  And as Boeing recently learned, they're not especially stable.  The technology still has a long way to go before it's viable for the masses, IMO. 

• Like 3

I saw a report about an electric car (don't remember the brand) that had a gas engine but it's only purpose was to run a generator to keep the batteries charged. Never heard anything about the range of the car. It would be interesting to know how far it would go with a full charge and 10 gallons of gas. Also cruising speed.

If they made everyone drive electric cars, everything would slow down and become a level playing field. As an option people are going to perfer gas. I wouldnt have no problem if car companies had to fade out gas cars and trucks by 2025. Gas cars can outrune you on the highway. But if everyone was driving electic that wouldnt be an issue. Theres really no pratical need for cars to go over 85mph.

If they made everyone drive electric cars, everything would slow down and become a level playing field. As an option people are going to perfer gas. I wouldnt have no problem if car companies had to fade out gas cars and trucks by 2025. Gas cars can outrune you on the highway. But if everyone was driving electic that wouldnt be an issue. Theres really no pratical need for cars to go over 85mph.

Hey... I see what you did there!  :0)

• Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR

I have an 06 Focus that if I had 12K to spend on, I think I could do better on and have a couple grand left over

to pay the charging charges I would end up paying for.

Trouble is, the electricity will necessarily skyrocket.

Guest PapaB

Most electric cars don't have enough range for use outside urban areas. The nearest full sized supermarket and department stores are over a 30 mile round trip and my last job was a 75 mile round trip. Good luck taking an electric car on a vacation trip, you won't get far. The best use for electric cars imho is dodgem.

They need to figure out a way for the cars to recharge their self while moving.

Each wheel needs to be making energy and recharging the batteries while its draining.

Not sure how hard that would be, a single windmill can produce a lot of energy. Each wheel would be like 4 little windmills. It might be harder than its sounds though.

They need to figure out a way for the cars to recharge their self while moving.

Each wheel needs to be making energy and recharging the batteries while its draining.

Not sure how hard that would be, a single windmill can produce a lot of energy. Each wheel would be like 4 little windmills. It might be harder than its sounds though.

They have regenerative braking, but you can't have perpetual motion. You have to have induction of energy into the system to continue running. Some kind of power plant.

That was the Chevy Volt.  Costs more than $40,000.

I saw a report about an electric car (don't remember the brand) that had a gas engine but it's only purpose was to run a generator to keep the batteries charged. Never heard anything about the range of the car. It would be interesting to know how far it would go with a full charge and 10 gallons of gas. Also cruising speed.

Guest 6.8 AR

What's practical for you isn't going to fly for others. That's why we're "individuals". You would wreck the industry just

to convert the gas powered car into an electric vehicle? That would cause much more damage than letting technology

take its natural course. Innovation isn't necessarily practical, until some time down the road. Why not let the industry

make what people want and use the abundant energy resources that are available?

I'll take the gas powered car and truck for the rest of my life, thanks. Get the government out of the regulation business

and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Of course it's already embedded in our life so there isn't any way to argue

what things would have been like just letting technology do its thing, is there? :D

Just built out a Chevy Volt - $43,475 with a $7,500 tax credit that you and I are paying for.  If I were to pick between the Volt and the Leaf I'd take the Volt.  Interior is much nicer and has a 9.3 gallon tank to get you through if you wanted to take a road trip or go more than the 38 mile round trip on a full electric charge. I drove a Nissan Leaf a little while back and didn't feel safe.  Drove and felt like I was in a golf cart with doors. 

I would rather not see my electric bill skyrocket.  Gas for me, please.

With or without electric cars electric bills will go up. Think about all the coal plants being shutdown. New EPA regs.