Memphis made FOX web site

RED333

The mayor of Memphis said billboards put up by the Memphis Police Association are hurting the city’s image and calls the message, “selfish.”

The police union billboards feature the warning, “DANGER: Enter at your own risk; This city does not support public safety,” MyFoxMemphis.com reported.

Mike Williams, the president of the MPA, said the billboards are meant to target city leaders and are about protecting union’s jobs and benefits.

Yall from there let us know what is the word on the street.

Guest RedLights&Sirens
I dont have cable anymore but since I work in EMS I occasionaly get the juicy details. If I hear anything Ill let you all know.

Funny, A.C doesnt want people knowing what Memphis is really like. Maybe it would just be easier if he started fixing stuff instead of hiding it. No offense to the natives or to any Elvis fans but when I first moved here I couldnt believe what a hole Graceland was, okay well the surrounding area of Graceland.
I don't like the signs. The signs are very unprofessional. In my opinion, you can't pay our public servants enough, but those billboards cross the line.

I would like to see the officers get a pay increase, but I would also like to get a more professional department in return.

I'm more afraid of some of our officers than I am of the cities gang members.
  • Like 2
Guest RedLights&Sirens

... but I would also like to get a more professional department in return...

Couldnt agree more, which is sad to say. I was driving in my ambulance down Second past Beal on St Patricks day last year and one guy stood out to me for some reason. He was walking and an officer was on his six about ten yards behind. The guy took off and the officer stopped and yelled, "keep running you fv@%ing pv&&y!" The officer yelled this, in a large crowd... in public and did not pursue the guy. Then he looked at me, came up to my window (I was stopped in pedestrian traffic) and shouted at me, "what the fv@% is your problem!?" I was in uniform, in my ambulance and didnt do or say anything and he freaked out on me.

I dont like police bashing and no doubt MPD has it tough at times but stuff like that is uncalled for. I thought they required a two year degree for the purpose of weeding out undesirable applicants? Maybe it would be more efficiant to just discapline bad attitudes and performance. I guess that makes too much sense. Edited by RedLights&Sirens
Guest AmericanWorkMule

Good Point, may I add...
I hate to say it but the governance of the USA has been left to unqualified fools who are doing more to destroy a once great country than preserving it.

I hate to say it but the governance of Memphis has been left to unquailified fools who are doing more to destroy a once great city than preserving it.

Guest 270win

Memphis is no different than New Orleans.  I wonder about too many on the police force who want to be a 'thug' and come from that sort of background  Do some of them shoot sideways?  Anything in Memphis city government is just as bad.  It would be tough to be an honest Memphis public employee the way the culture is there.

But then again, Southaven's mayor is being looked at for basically stealing from the town, Millington has had a big corruption deal, and so has Oakland.  I sometimes wonder if it is a cultural thing in this Delta region of widespread corruption from here all the way to N.O.

Edited by 270win

I hear they are waiving felony convictions so they can hire Police Officers.  I wonder if that's

true?

They are gave up the City Charter so they wouldn't have to pay the bill for it. 

Did I mention they ran that into the ground? Did I mention the same ones who drove the 

Memphis City schools into the toilet want to be on the County School Board.

Now that they don't have to pay 60 odd million off they plan on lowering the housing values

then raising taxes on the lowered values.

The Mayor is a bozo and they're more interested in renaming City Parks than worrying about

how they're gonna repay debts. They'd rather feel good about themselves even though the

crime rate is out of sight and no one wants to live within Memphis City Limits. Go figure. 

Until the bozo's get voted out of office the poor will remain poor and the middle income people will

continue to flee to other counties. Unfortunately there are more poor folks in the City that will

keep voting the same bozo's in so there will be no change. But, you will see the renaming of all kinds

of things so the poor folks will continue to feel good about life.  

Please don't get me started....

Edited by Lowpower
Some people won't want to hear this, but Memphis is a microcosm of this country as a whole. Memphians and other American voters are voting for sh#t box candidates as a means of thumbing their noses at the perceived powers that be. If you perceive that you have always been crapped on, why not put someone in office who makes you feel good and irritates the person or persons who you perceive have wronged you.

I hope that this statement makes sense. Edited by LINKS2K
  • Like 2
Guest 270win

The key for me has been to live in a town outside of Memphis.  From a crime standpoint, the outlying towns are totally opposite of Memphis.  There are parts of Memphis that are very nice, like Midtown and East Memphis, but for me too many rough folks float through those areas looking to cause trouble.  If I wanted to live in Memphis, I would heavily consider Harbor Town because it is more isolated and has less criminals floating through.

There are a lot of good things in Memphis, like the zoo, riverfront area, music history, good weather, and a new Bass Pro coming to town, but the city does not know how to capitalize those things and make it a more positive place.  All big cities have a lot of crime, but Memphis does not seem to fix the image problem and make an effort at the crime problem.  The city government and media are more concerned about rehashing civil rights stuff from 60 years ago instead of figuring out how to attract and keep companies here to give people work and keep a property tax base.

There is a reason it has been refereed to as the "armpit of the south". As one poster mentioned the election of Herenton was the beginning of the end. The city is looking to incorporate every suburb and town that even remotely touches Memphis to get their taxes in order to pay for the increased welfare state. They have even been trying to figure out how to get their hands on northern Mississippi to get their taxes. The school system is a perfect example of their ineptitude. I was in school when the busing program started and the good county schools became more of the same old bad city schools. They have dropped the standard for police officers so low that most felonies don't count. No cop in his right mind works in Memphis and yes I have friends who are there and one was recently shot.

Herenton's "election" was seen by those who voted for him and even the former incumbent mayor as a "righting of racial wrongs". They don't care what they take and feel justified because it was stolen from them in the past and any criticism is simply racism. Sound familiar? Yes, Memphis is the microcosmic of the new America.

This is a very simple yet over complicated problem that will only get worse as long as Memphis clings to a racist identity that doesn't even exist.

Personally, I think the signs are downright s**tty.  This is just one of the numerous examples on why I abhor unions.  Either pay up, or we will make you look bad, and that is just the start.  Sheesh. :shake:

It would be nice if someone put a billboard right next to that one and stated:

"Raise or no raise, my proficiency with my firearm gives me more protection than either the police or city can provide me.  Signed, John Q. Public (armed citizen)."

Edited by mav

Several ago an east TN lawmaker suggested that the state give Shelby county to Arkansas, thereby raising the IQ of both states. Very seldom can a person insult so many people in one sentence. :)

I get tired of all the ignorant Memphis-bashing from Middle and East TN folks who have never lived in or near Memphis, but that is just plain funny.  On the other hand, the non-Memphis Shelby County IQ average would probably rival any other area in the state. 

• Like 2