Grounds for car dealership refund?

So we just bought a used vehicle on Friday.  We bought it with the understanding that it had Sirius Satellite radio. all documents state that it has the radio, especially the singed contract.  

On Saturday we attempted to activate the satellite radio, only to discover that the option doesn't exist on the car.  

The dealership offered to check and see if the module was just not activated, but if it truly wasn't installed form the factory, they could add an aftermarket version for free.  Well I would not be happy with an aftermarket version and would never have bought the car knowing that it did not have factory satellite radio (yes, its that big of a deal) 

So do I have grounds to warrant a refund if its proven the car doesn't have a factory system that they stated was installed?   This is gonna go down today, just thought id share and get opinions

Make the dealership install the factory satellite radio module. Every car has the wiring already there the module and antenna jus need to be added. My mother had satire radio added at the dealership and it is just like it came that way from the factory.
  • Like 1
Make the dealership install the factory satellite radio module. Every car has the wiring already there the module and antenna jus need to be added. My mother had satire radio added at the dealership and it is just like it came that way from the factory.

Problem is its a 2011 Land Rover. So if the factory didn't configure the computer It can't be added and work with the touch screen like it should

Problem is its a 2011 Land Rover. So if the factory didn't configure the computer It can't be added and work with the touch screen like it should

but the computer can be flashed for it . Also I would get them on misleading you that is against the law. Kinda like fraud .

I used to work for a Land Rover dealer and I was told that they can add any factory option at the dealer it just costs a lot to do it. I would force the dealer to do it or find you a Land Rover that already has it and has the same options and no more miles than you have, all at their cost. I have seen it done with a ripped seat so this should be doable as well.

Edited by LI0NSFAN
  • Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

If they represented it in writing as having Sirius installed, make them add it for you. Otherwise, get all your

money back and go elsewhere. That module may be upwards of a thousand bucks. That's what my BMW cost

after the programming and the module. And tell the salesman that even if the module is in the car, installed

means it works, also.

Guest nra37922

Tell them to make it right or a full refund right now not the check will be coming in a week or so.  Also turn them into the BBB.

I used to work for a Land Rover dealer and I was told that they can add any factory option at the dealer it just costs a lot to do it. I would force the dealer to do it or find you a Land Rover that already has it and has the same options and no more miles than you have, all at their cost. I have seen it done with a ripped seat so this should be doable as well.

Thanks for the heads up.

The mechanic says he thinks the module is installed but isn't functioning. The "mode" nob shows a 'Sat' option, but it's greyed out and not able to be selected. They will know for sure tomorrow.

I told them it has to either work properly or we want a refund, and they didn't really bock at that. They know thy are in the wrong.

They can add the box and antenna. It is often a dealer installed option. If you don't have the antenna, you don't have the box.

My car is the basest model, but the radio has the buttons for Sirius and Phone. Neither work. For something like $400 I could get the factory box, install it and have Bluetooth and Sat radio.

If you have the antenna, the dealership just doesn't know how to turn it on.

I would say yes as long as it is in writing.  I believe there is a 3-Day return period by law as well, so either should allow you to take it back. 

For what it's worth, that's a common misconception.  There is unfortunately no return policy or "cooling off period" in the state of TN.  I have heard that some states offer such protection, but I can say with a fair bit of certainty that TN does not.  Once you put ink to paper, its yours.  The only exception would be if the dealership has their own individual return policy or grace period.  Otherwise, they aren't obligated to do squat for you other than what your buyers agreement states.

I spent some time in the new and used car market. Technically you don't have the right to a 100% refund. This should be in your contract the deduction per day and for miles as well as you will owe any admin fees. Also there are problems with the DMV and salestax but it doesn't become an issue until after several days.

The 3 days is actually a myth, see the Home Solicitation Act of 1974.
I will let you in on a little secret, car dealers are scared sh**less of attorneys and the media.
I'll have to give Sirius another try. We tried the 3 months free with our newest vehicle (factory system on honda pilot) and the reception was really spotty. On overcast days it was awful and it cut out anytime we passed under an overpass or trees. I love the concept just not the execution.

Hope you find a happy solution.

-southernasylum

I'll have to give Sirius another try. We tried the 3 months free with our newest vehicle (factory system on honda pilot) and the reception was really spotty. On overcast days it was awful and it cut out anytime we passed under an overpass or trees. I love the concept just not the execution.

Hope you find a happy solution.

-southernasylum

I have had it for over ten years, the previous years were using an add on radio. The kind you stick on the AC vents or stick in the windshield with a suction cup. It has always worked very well, cloud cover has never affected it. And of course if you oare sitting under an overpass or a big heavy tree it won't work. It sort of has to have a line of sight to the sky. But going at driving speed overpasses have never been an issue. The radio has a delay built in. In the new truck it is about ten seconds.
I used a portable Pioneer unit for 8 years in my Volvo. I had a dock in the house and the car. However the new Nissan pickup has an XM unit installed. Much better reception.
I like me some XM radio.
Hope it works out for you. Bitch until they fix it.

I had it in my 2006 dodge ram, it worked great on the highway, but out in the country it wasn't worth a crap.

that's weird, doesn't make any sense. I have used it all over the place, all kinds of roads and it has always been great.

that's weird, doesn't make any sense. I have used it all over the place, all kinds of roads and it has always been great.

Well it was a factory radio, little stump of an antenna, I guess it was just me. I know I loved listening to fox news on it but all the interruptions were not acceptable.
line of sight is the key. I spoke to a Sirius tech on the phone one day about where the satellite is in the sky. I told him where I was in TN and he said that due west would be the spot to make sure it could see if I was sitting stationary and wanted to listen. I used to use it to listen to NFL games and would have to get the old truck parked in such a way that one of the big tree trunks was not in the way.
  • Like 1