First 1911: Ruger or Sig (now with purchased photos!)

Guest Averhoeven

Guest Averhoeven

I'm thinking of picking up my first 1911 and have narrowed it down to either the

Ruger

IMG_1298.jpg

or Sig 1911 Traditional Two-Tone Match Elite

1911trad-tt-matchelite-detail-l.jpg

I think those clearly illustrate where my tastes lie! I like the looks of the Sig more (though I haven't seen it in person like I have the Ruger). Is there any significant difference in the finish/shootability of these 2? It amounts to approx. $150-200 ($699 vs $899) more for the Sig and I'm not sure if I like it that much more (though I think I do).

Edited by Averhoeven

IMHO....Sig has a (colt) good reputation. I haven't fired the Ruger but the (colt) Sig's trigger is very crisp. If you take a (colt) look

at the bomar sight on the Sig it was built the way it should be. I am not a fan of two-tone (colt) 1911's. I wish the features on that

Sig (colt) were on the Ruger.

Hope this (colt) helps.

Lp

• Like 1
Guest jkb4c

Between the two, I vote Ruger. Sig has a bit of a spotty reputation with 1911s according to internet anecdotes.

I own an SR1911 and it has been fantastic out of the box, a great factory 1911.

Then again, you could always read into Lowpower's subliminal messaging and go with the Original...

Guest Torrin

I like the Ruger, though I am not as big of the 1911 as I thought (Hint, I might be willing to sell my gently used Ruger SR1911).  Beyond the whole .45's being very noisy and messy, the gun shots quite well and I am a big fan of most Ruger pistols (I own 3).  My biggest issue with a 1911 is cleaning the stupid thing, I guess I have become spoiled in the last 20 years, I did not mind cleaning my service weapon, but now with these composite guns, it takes like 4 minutes to clean my SR9c.  :) 

Guest Averhoeven

Get the commander version of the Ruger.

May I ask why you pushed the Commander? I'm tending towards a full size for the home and fun. I have my PPS to carry.

IMHO....Sig has a (colt) good reputation. I haven't fired the Ruger but the (colt) Sig's trigger is very crisp. If you take a (colt) look

at the bomar sight on the Sig it was built the way it should be. I am not a fan of two-tone (colt) 1911's. I wish the features on that

Hope this (colt) helps.

Lp

So you think I should go with a Springfield? To be honest, just wasn't seeing a Colt that I liked the aesthetics of. In addition, I've heard of Colts as great starting platforms that don't really show their pluses until after some work.

I own both the sig 1911 full size and compact and I own the ruger 1911 full size. Both are nice guns but I would trade the ruger before I would trade the sigs
The sigs trigger is very good and to me the ruger needs a little trigger work. I am a big fan of two tone guns. I like the sig you are looking at.
Guest Hound

Hope this (colt) helps.

Lp

i feel as tho you may prefer colts for some reason. 

Everything that Sig does is first rate! Ruger's are very good, quite serviceable and, of course, American made! If money were no object I would buy the Sig. But that is only half my answer, that was theoretical. In reality even thought they are both 1911's, YOU SHOULD handle both and see which you like better. Of course it would be best to be able to fire each one but that can be problematic. Maybe you can hook up with joesig and buy him lunch or something if he would let you fire both (and I don't know him - I get nothing out of this).

Guest Averhoeven

Everything that Sig does is first rate! Ruger's are very good, quite serviceable and, of course, American made! If money were no object I would buy the Sig. But that is only half my answer, that was theoretical. In reality even thought they are both 1911's, YOU SHOULD handle both and see which you like better. Of course it would be best to be able to fire each one but that can be problematic. Maybe you can hook up with joesig and buy him lunch or something if he would let you fire both (and I don't know him - I get nothing out of this).

Unfortunately, finding a specific model of a Sig 1911 is difficult at best. That said, I have seen and held similar price point Sig. I hit up most of the shops around Nashville today looking for one.

I've found a very good deal on 1 of only 2 of those Sigs I've even available, but the catch is that there is a bit of a time limit. Boo to the current climate

Hope this (colt) helps.

Lp

+1

May I ask why you pushed the Commander? I'm tending towards a full size for the home and fun. I have my PPS to carry.

So you think I should go with a Springfield? To be honest, just wasn't seeing a Colt that I liked the aesthetics of. In addition, I've heard of Colts as great starting platforms that don't really show their pluses until after some work.

Springfield? They're ok. I had a mil spec one I got rid of but it shot flawlessly. I got it because I couldn't pass on it. The guy wanted my AK-47 for his

brand spankin new Mil Spec in the box. he fired 5 rounds through it. They were missing from the box of ammo. I fell all over myself trying to ensure he was really happy with that AK. I threw in a tactical carry bag for it and a 70 round (I think it was since it hooked on the front muzzle break) + 4-5 30 round mags.  A Springfield will not do you wrong.

I do happen to like Colts but that doesn't mean I don't own other .45's. I'm building an RIA (colt)for fun shooting right now. The pistol is clean and tight and I've already began polishing it's guts. Right now I'm only going to replace the trigger but may make some other changes if needed. To me the smithing is what makes it all worthwhile.

Lp

Suggestion...go to a local gun range. most will let you rent a gun. Most let you shot 2-3 different ones if you tell them yer looking to buy one for the

price of the rental. Shoot everything you can. The good thing about those rentals are they been heavily used and will tell you how your will get once

it gets a few k rounds thru it.

I just like a more concealable version , after you buy it you will prob want to carry it one day.

They're both 1911s. Either Ruger or Sig Sauer would work fine as your FIRST 1911. Then, get the other.

. . . And a Springfield, and a Colt and . . . .

I've covered the 1911s by size & ammo, with one from Springfield, a 5-inch Loaded in .45; another Springfield, a 3-inch EMP in 9mm; and a pocket-able Sig Sauer P238 in .380.

Edited by QuietDan

Unfortunately, finding a specific model of a Sig 1911 is difficult at best. That said, I have seen and held similar price point Sig. I hit up most of the shops around Nashville today looking for one.

I've found a very good deal on 1 of only 2 of those Sigs I've even available, but the catch is that there is a bit of a time limit. Boo to the current climate

As I said - Problematic! But if you could fire a Sig 1911 it would be a fairly indicative of how all SIg 1911s would be (the weight, the fit, what it feels like firing, accuracy, finish etc.). I mean the reality is that most 1911s feel very similar... maybe all it would tell you is that there is no reason to agonize over the decision, get the Ruger and be done with it! A long time ago, when I was in the Navy and we were still using 1911s and we went to the range to qualify, whey were all old as dirt (most were probably from WW II) but just picking one up I could feel a difference or thought I could and it made a difference in how I fired it.

What you are seeing, just trying to locate a Sig, is just part of "the experience" of owning one. lol

ASP in Joelton has the Ruger that you can rent on the range. Greenbrier Guns and Leather has Sig but I'm not 100% sure it is that one. I have shot them both and the Ruger is my absolute favorite. Since you're in Nashville you could check them both out in one Saturday.

Gun Show this weekend in Nashville...Day 1 prices high, Day 2 prices are sometimes more negotiable. 

You appear to be looking for "new" so I won't mention Pawn Shops or Gun Club For Sale bulletin boards.

If used did you see that Sig on our boards in two-tone for $800? Nice pistol.

There was also an FNX pistol for sale that someone wanted $1300-1400 for. It's a beautiful pistol. A friend owns one with a mini red dot and can.

Quiet, accurate and fun to shoot. WOW!

Lp

If you found the SR1911 for $699 (that's 16% off MSRP) and the Sig for $899 (that's 20% off MSRP), I'd say both are good deals and you'd be happy with either.

I have the SR1911, myself and absolutely love it. It's a HUGE step up from the cheaper 1911s and runs like a champ. I don't really have any complaints, but...

For the $200 the Sig TME has all stainless controls instead of cheap MIM parts (safety, mag release, slide release, grip safety/beavertail), a checkered front strap, and adjustable rear sight. To upgrade those parts on the SR would be WAY more than the price difference. These may not be a big deal to you, though. I've also read that the Sig has a better fit/finish, shoots tighter groups, and has a lighter/crisper trigger.

Guest Averhoeven

If you found the SR1911 for $699 (that's 16% off MSRP) and the Sig for $899 (that's 20% off MSRP), I'd say both are good deals and you'd be happy with either.

I have the SR1911, myself and absolutely love it. It's a HUGE step up from the cheaper 1911s and runs like a champ. I don't really have any complaints, but...

For the $200 the Sig TME has all stainless controls instead of cheap MIM parts (safety, mag release, slide release, grip safety/beavertail), a checkered front strap, and adjustable rear sight. To upgrade those parts on the SR would be WAY more than the price difference. These may not be a big deal to you, though. I've also read that the Sig has a better fit/finish, shoots tighter groups, and has a lighter/crisper trigger.

The finishings on the Sig and the fact that I love how it looks resulted in that being the buy (yes, I'm a bit impulsive but its a big tax return present!). The Sig I got is brand spanking new (manufacture date April 2, 2013) too. I appreciate all the input, gave me a few things I didn't know or think about. I think the fact that they should both be great is what made it hard.