Christians May Be Court Martialed For Sharing Faith

Why is that? As it was pretty much explained to me, when you join the miltary you are subject to their rules and only given the rights that they deem fit. As a Christian this is personally upsetting, but it is the miltary here.

When the military lets atheists decide what's sharing your faith and what's not, how are our armed forces to conduct themselves in combat?  Will you be allowed to pray in a foxhole?  How about before chow?  I'm not talking about sandpapering others into belief in God.  That wouldn't do anybody any good if he doesn't believe it from the heart.  But it's this same kind of progressive dogmatism that is trying to get you relieved of your firearms.

• Like 2

I saw nothing that stated that the military was letting atheists decide what contitutes sharing your faith. They met with the group and heard them out. Did you expect them to only listen to the Christian side? IMHO, there's nothing to get excited about until the military announces its position in the matter.

IMHO, there's nothing to get excited about until the military announces its position in the matter.

The military has already stated it's position on the matter:  "Section 2.11 requires “government neutrality regarding religion.”  And Obama says he's for the 2nd Amendment.

The military has already stated it's position on the matter:  "Section 2.11 requires “government neutrality regarding religion.”  And Obama says he's for the 2nd Amendment.

Chaplains are neutral. That's why they have to study the rituals of all religions. If they do come out and stop a Christian from praying over a meal or mentioning the name of Jesus then they better be prepared for suits if they do not do something similar to the Muslims and Satanists.

The problem with America is some people think that freedom of religion means freedom from religion, and unfortunately the SC started that BS years ago.

When I was in they did not forbide or prevent any individual from paying as an individual, which is how it should be. We had Muslims praying at their designated times as well as Christians praying before they ate. And yes it happened in the same hole by different religions. And no one had issue with that from what I seen.

I do not see this changing because it works and works well. It is someone trying to create an issue from nothing and if that person is in the military they should be in trouble for trying to create animosity within the military.

The military would loose effectiveness if it supported only one religion.
  • Like 1
I also remember my first Sunday in Basic Training, where church was mandatory the first week. That meant everybody regardless of faith had to sit through services.

The following week the Drill Sergeant on duty that day told us that folks only had to go to church if they wanted, and those folks that didn't go would be taken to the pool. It was Ft. Benning, GA in June, so I opted for pool. After the formation of devout churchgoers were marched to the chapel the remaining DS had us form up in the grass and lay down on our stomachs. He then proceeded to hose us down while we were made to mock swim in the grass, in cadence. This went on for 15 minutes or so before we moved to the sand pit to be made into sugar cookies, then subsequently smoked for another half hour. Good times. I never missed a day of church for the rest of the time I was there.

Looking back I remember that story with amusement. The Drills musta got a kick outa that one. However, I think about how I would have felt if I was a devout Muslim, Hindu, Morman.... probably would reflect on it much differently.
  • Like 2

I also remember my first Sunday in Basic Training, where church was mandatory the first week. That meant everybody regardless of faith had to sit through services.

The following week the Drill Sergeant on duty that day told us that folks only had to go to church if they wanted, and those folks that didn't go would be taken to the pool. It was Ft. Benning, GA in June, so I opted for pool. After the formation of devout churchgoers were marched to the chapel the remaining DS had us form up in the grass and lay down on our stomachs. He then proceeded to hose us down while we were made to mock swim in the grass, in cadence. This went on for 15 minutes or so before we moved to the sand pit to be made into sugar cookies, then subsequently smoked for another half hour. Good times. I never missed a day of church for the rest of the time I was there.

Looking back I remember that story with amusement. The Drills musta got a kick outa that one. However, I think about how I would have felt if I was a devout Muslim, Hindu, Morman.... probably would reflect on it much differently.

Marine Corps was the same. The first week you had to go to some service. If afterwards you elected to not go you worked.

Edited by SWJewellTN

I remember a similar experience at Ft Polk in 69.  As nearly all of us were headed to Vietnam, it wasn't difficult to get us to attend the services.

When I was considering becoming a Chaplain, they made it very clear that we were expected to be true to our denomination of faith but that we could not share anything of the exclusivity of that faith.  In other words if someone was asking me how to become a Christian I couldn't share anything that conflicted the other religions because that was endorsing one over the others. If i were leading prayers I had to be neutral and couldn't say anything about Jesus Messiah, one God, or anything similar to that. I was basically told that we were to be neutral feel good cheerleaders. Yes, it is mixed up and confusing.

hmmmm, in the last days: 

Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and you shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.  (Matthew 24:9)

And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold (Matthew 24:12)

In my last active duty unit i had the fortune or misfortune(depending on how you looki at it) of being the units equal oppurtunity leader.  Religion in the military is a very fine line.  There is nothing that prevents individual service members from worshiping within reason as they see fit.  The issue comes when a Soldier feels a leader is pushing their religion on them.  It does happen although i would say it's fairly rare.   

a good example would be the prayers held at the naval academy prior to the mandatory noon meal.  The cadets are marched in stand at attention and are rrequired to be there.  There was a big stink about it back in 2008 IIRC.  The naval academy still holds their pre meal prayer however it is more of a secular prayer now.  The major issue in 2008 i believe was specific sectarian language used in the prayer.  

The same holds true to thousands of military formations every year many of which begin with an invocation or prayer of some form.  When service members are forced to listen to and participate in sectarian prayers it is an issue.  however id say 99.9 percent of chaplains and leaders in the military understand this issue very well and make a concious effort to only conduct secular prayer. 

This does not mean chaplains are never free to preach according to what they believe its just that there is a time and place for it.  Specifically during worship services.   

the important difference will always be the cumpolsury attendance.  Smith's example is not entirely accurate in that the person would be there voluntarily and therefore it would be ok to talk to him about specific religious believes.  An example of where it would not be OK is if the chaplain said anything disparaging of other religions

Seams like more and more non religious pagans are running this country. Nothing good can come of it.

More candy at Halloween. Last year half the neighborhood wasn't participating. Gotta find that silver lining.