The Defense Distributed "Liberator"

• Moderators
Cody Wilson seems to have done it again.

Remember when Defense Distributed's Cody Wilson promised to unveil an entirely 3D-printed handgun made of ABS plastic with the firing pin its only metal part? Well, he's apparently done it. Forbes's Andy Greenberg was given a sneak peek of the result, and it looks and appears to be quite an achievement. If all goes well, the plans will be unveiled at Defcad.org next week.

More after the jump.
http://reason.com/blog/2013/05/03/that-3d-printed-handgun-youve-been-waiti

HuffPo's commenters are always funny.

Yeah here's one of the better ones....

"A special PS to our lawmakers - as a veteran who spent too long in Iraq seeing the damage these things can cause firsthand, please reinstate the assault rifle ban."

*facepalm*

Yeah here's one of the better ones....

"A special PS to our lawmakers - as a veteran who spent too long in Iraq seeing the damage these things can cause firsthand, please reinstate the assault rifle ban."

*facepalm*

This dude probably spent too long in the chow halls of Iraq seeing the damage ice cream does to his waistline.

Interesting argument.  Too bad all the horses are out of the barn and they aren't coming back.  The internet will just keep that stuff going in spite of the government.

Yup, I'm sure it's probably hosted up elsewhere by now. There's no stopping the internet short of a complete blackout.

Yup, I'm sure it's probably hosted up elsewhere by now. There's no stopping the internet short of a complete blackout.

The minute you tell people on the internet don't photo shop, distribute, or anything else it just spreads like wildfire.

From the Forbes article:

"Wilson compares his new legal troubles to the widely-followed case in the mid-1990s of Philip Zimmermann, the inventor of the cryptographic software PGP, who was threatened with indictment under ITAR for putting his military-grade encryption software online. “It’s PGP all over again,” says Wilson."

Good point, and I remember the PrettyGoodPrivacy saga pretty well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy

Of course, the next offensive will be simple -- prohibit fabricating any firearm by any method without an FFL.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Moderators

Why does the government care? This is the biggest non-issue in the realm of firearms use in crime.

This was never about the gun, this was about flagrantly showing the government that its attempts at control are futile. Government control only works on those willing to be controlled.

This is the ultimate example of the fact that government is OF the people, not OVER the people. They can't stop the tech, it's already surpassed any control they might have thought they had.

Government power is derived by the desire of the governed, not imposed. The DD Liberator was designed to remind folks of that and has done so admirably.

• Like 2

I saw a video about that thing at school, actually. I was hoping I could download the design and put it into the 3D printer we have, but uh... the rules and all. Oh well!

That's the great thing about the internet, I suppose. It's a great way to thwart federal authority...

The file was downloaded over 100,000 times before being seized. It's already on numerous file sharing websites. It's out there forever.

...and if they shut them down too, just send me a PM :). I'll email it to you

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 2

I saw a video about that thing at school, actually. I was hoping I could download the design and put it into the 3D printer we have, but uh... the rules and all. Oh well!

That's the great thing about the internet, I suppose. It's a great way to thwart federal authority...

I found and looked them up in blender
[quote data-cid='968474' name='luke9511' timestamp='1368225376' post='968474'][quote data-cid='968453' name='Pat' timestamp='1368223259']I saw a video about that thing at school, actually. I was hoping I could download the design and put it into the 3D printer we have, but uh... the rules and all. Oh well!

[/quote]I found them and downloaded them and looked them up in blender basic but neat