Found a good place to donate I thought .

I am going to upset some people with what I am about to say but here goes.

Seems to me that if there was a poster child for "don't let him have a gun" it would be "Flem" or Glenn. He has proven to be violent by striking a loved one because of his mental condition. He was diagnosed with PTSD and he had to stop flying as well as leave the military. He was part of a "drug trial" that was no doubt related to trying to stem his violent tendancies. He was more than likely medically discharged because of a mental condition, admits to being violent and more than likely owns firearms or at least handles firearms every day. Seems to me that is the person we should all be up in arms over.

Just because he does a PSA for some veteran organization doesn't mean he should not be held to the same standard as anyone else.

This isn't meant to beat up the organization even though they are not as great as they seem to be:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=12314

And more on CSAH

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Coalition_to_Salute_America's_Heroes

"An intolerable fraud"

"Representative Henry Waxman, Democrat of California, whose Committee on Oversight and Government Reform has held hearings on the issue and documented the above abuses, has rightly called the conduct of charities like Mr. Chapin’s [CSAH] 'an intolerable fraud'," editorialized the New York Times in February 2008. [1]

The newspaper described a fundraising appeal from CSAH and noted that CSAH "and its sister organization, Help Hospitalized Veterans, were among a dozen military-related charities given a grade of F in a study last December by the American Institute of Philanthropy, a nonprofit watchdog group. These and other charities have collected hundreds of millions of dollars from kind-hearted Americans and squandered an unconscionable amount of it on overhead and expenses -- 70 percent or 80 percent, or more. ... Money that donors surely assumed was going to ease the pain and speed the healing of injured soldiers went instead to junk-mail barrages, inflated executive salaries and other forms of corporate-style bloat." [1] </ref>

The New York Times editorial went on to urge readers to trash or recycle any fundraising appeals from CSAH. "Think of what Mr. Chapin told the House committee when asked what would happen if his charities ever told donors where their money went," the paper suggested. "'If we disclose, which I'm more than happy to do,' he said, 'we'd all be out of business. Nobody would donate. It would dry up.'" [1]

CSAH is nothing more than a way to get rich off of our veterans. The founder receives the majority of the donations.

And here is another good read about CSAH:

http://www.military-money-matters.com/coalition-to-support-americas-heroes.html#axzz2SYzR75aD

"San Diego 'nonprofit entrepreneur' Roger Chapin admitted to a congressional panel . . . that one of his veterans charities reimbursed him $43,225 for a forfeited condo-purchase down payment (what?!), loaned $135,000 to help a longtime director finance a divorce settlement (you've got to be kidding!), and paid $17,000 (a year) for a country club membership."

That's more common then you would believe. The next time some group calls your house to ask for a donation for a fire department or police department ask what the overhead expenses are. There might be some out there with less, but I have never been told less then 70%. One guy called to raise money to buy cops bullet proof vests. He said the overhead expenses were 85%. That means every $20 you give $3 gets to the bullet proof vests. That doesnt even take into account the backroom deals and kick backs on buying the actual vests. Not all of them are scams, but I am surprised every time one of these organizations call the house and tell me the numbers.

That's more common then you would believe. The next time some group calls your house to ask for a donation for a fire department or police department ask what the overhead expenses are. There might be some out there with less, but I have never been told less then 70%. One guy called to raise money to buy cops bullet proof vests. He said the overhead expenses were 85%. That means every $20 you give $3 gets to the bullet proof vests. That doesnt even take into account the backroom deals and kick backs on buying the actual vests. Not all of them are scams, but I am surprised every time one of these organizations call the house and tell me the numbers.

That organization has given exactly ZERO the past 2 years. He advertises for donations then his salary exceeds that. I forget the name now but I did a very thorough search into them.

Because no one wants to be accused of not supporting our veterans there are plenty of scammers who are using that to get donations. I especially hate those who set up at shows or other places with a promise of sending a box or phone cards to our troops. When asked if they are non profit and tax deductible they say they are but when you ask for a receipt for your donation they don't give them. There are a lot of those running around.

And while we are at it, I also hate the buckets at every register asking for money. It is always some rare condition that requires cash. I have always wondered if it is just some random person trying to get more money.

And finally, I hate those who stand at the intersections begging for money while they are dressed in their expensive clothes and text on their Iphone. Especially those who claim to be veterans yet are clueless about what a DD212 is (yes, for all those military members out there, I know what I did there).

That organization has given exactly ZERO the past 2 years. He advertises for donations then his salary exceeds that. I forget the name now but I did a very thorough search into them.

Because no one wants to be accused of not supporting our veterans there are plenty of scammers who are using that to get donations. I especially hate those who set up at shows or other places with a promise of sending a box or phone cards to our troops. When asked if they are non profit and tax deductible they say they are but when you ask for a receipt for your donation they don't give them. There are a lot of those running around.

And while we are at it, I also hate the buckets at every register asking for money. It is always some rare condition that requires cash. I have always wondered if it is just some random person trying to get more money.

And finally, I hate those who stand at the intersections begging for money while they are dressed in their expensive clothes and text on their Iphone. Especially those who claim to be veterans yet are clueless about what a DD212 is (yes, for all those military members out there, I know what I did there).

I almost called you out on that one, but then I figured why you did it like that. :D

Edited by dralarms

most charity organizers can keep 1/3rd of what they collect.Its a shame so much abuse occurs...

Id rather hand a guy a c note based on what i understand, based on fact, just to help.

as far as any other charity goes i have 2 words:

St Judes.

Edited by Dustbuster