Higher end, non target style, 22lr

Tennjed

I want a nicer full size 22lr. I have a Ruger MKIII and 22/45 and a Norinco TT Olympia so I want this gun to be a more combat style. I have held the Ruger sr22 and the browning 1911 and they are just too small for me. I want it to:

1) Eat as many different brands/types of ammo as possible
2) Be accurate enough for backyard paper punching (doesn't have to win competitions but needs to hold its own

I have a short list of:
Sig P226 classic
CZ Kadet (can't find one though)
Kimber rimfire 1911
RIA 22 1911
Beretta 87 (I know it is smaller but I have an 84)
S&W M&P 22

Looking for something a little "nicer" than the GSG/Sig 1911 and beretta noes/S&W 21

Does anyone have the guns mentioned on my list? How ammo picky is it? How accurate? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I want a nicer full size 22lr. I have a Ruger MKIII and 22/45 and a Norinco TT Olympia so I want this gun to be a more combat style. I have held the Ruger sr22 and the browning 1911 and they are just too small for me. I want it to:

1) Eat as many different brands/types of ammo as possible
2) Be accurate enough for backyard paper punching (doesn't have to win competitions but needs to hold its own

I have a short list of:
Sig P226 classic
CZ Kadet (can't find one though)
Kimber rimfire 1911
RIA 22 1911
Beretta 87 (I know it is smaller but I have an 84)
S&W M&P 22

Looking for something a little "nicer" than the GSG/Sig 1911 and beretta noes/S&W 21

Does anyone have the guns mentioned on my list? How ammo picky is it? How accurate? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I have a Sig P229 Classic. First 500 or so rounds it was a little picky, after that it's eaten everything I put through it except some subsonic I wouldn't normally purchase save for the 22LR shortage. I upgraded both my mags to 15 rnds via sigpower so they match my p229 in 9mm and it's been a great trainer/plinker. I got a 40 S&W centerfire conversion for it  as well and it's been flawless in both calibers for cheaper than a p229 .40 would have cost alone.

Guest carter

I would try and pick up a used S&W 422.. i just like older guns , they are well made and better then today's manufacturing 

Have you thought about going with a Kimber .45 then buying a conversion kit.
I see the Kimber .22 is on the list.

I have, but honestly don't seem attractive cost wise. I already have a few 45s and a 1911. I think it would cost at least $500-$600 more to do it that way. Which is not bad for the whole package, I just don't need the whole package.

I have a Sig P229 Classic. First 500 or so rounds it was a little picky, after that it's eaten everything I put through it except some subsonic I wouldn't normally purchase save for the 22LR shortage. I upgraded both my mags to 15 rnds via sigpower so they match my p229 in 9mm and it's been a great trainer/plinker. I got a 40 S&W centerfire conversion for it as well and it's been flawless in both calibers for cheaper than a p229 .40 would have cost alone.

That is good to hear. I don't mind a few hundred round break in with something like CCIS, but eventually want it to eat bulk 22
Guest Lester Weevils

A couple of years ago got three .22 adapter slides for already-owned pistolas. They are well-behaved and am guessing they would all be accurate in the hands of a person who has any shred of shooting talent, alas of which I sadly lack.

All three deliver about the same tightness of pattern as I can get out of the guns in the original caliber, so all seem at least as accurate as the guns in factory stock condition, at least in my hands. Perhaps in more skilled hands, would be more accurate, dunno.

It is fun and cheap anyway, assuming one can find .22 ammo. I have quite a bit squirreled away. I got four .22 mags for each adapter slide.

Got the Beretta 92FS .22 adapter slide from the beretta usa factory site, which was about as cheap or maybe a little cheaper at that time than buying from a dealer. Got the CZ Kadet adapter slide from CZ Customs, which at that time had the lowest price I could find, with the additional advantage of actually having product in stock. Got the Advantage Arms 1911 adapter slide from CMC government sales in TX, which had the gadgets in stock, as good a price as I could find, fast delivery and excellent service.

That is good to hear. I don't mind a few hundred round break in with something like CCIS, but eventually want it to eat bulk 22

Mine ate up 2k rounds of federal bulk in the last 3 months, I'd let it eat more but I pulled the plug on the wife shooting it until I can buy some more bulk .22.  :ugh:

CZ Kadet is an adapter for their 9mm.  You can get  them made this way @ czusa custom shop.   My wife has one and it is very, very good.  Super accurate, on par with the ruger mark.   It is not ammo picky.  Suggestion: have them do the single action mod when you order it.  

Highly recommended.

can't comment on any of the others you listed .

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

i have the ruger SR22 and the S&W M&P22 and i gotta say that the S&W surprised me with it's "ruger like" ability to eat the bulk ammo with no hiccups right out of the box and it's a very accurate lil gun

• Like 1

My first handgun was a High Standard Sport King in 22LR. I still own it and shoot it and will never part with it. The earliest version of the gun in the 1940's was a contract for military intelligence applications ( aka hitpiece). I believe they're back in business these days and sell factory direct. Rugged simple design and very accurate, always eats what I feed it.

http://highstandard.com/index.php/weapons-a-products/weapons#22

Edited by subsonic

I'd look for an old Colt Woodsman, or High Standard model to your liking. Maybe an HD Military. You just can't find that quality in a new gun. They will also appreciate in value over time.

If you aren't opposed to a revolver, I can highly recommend a model 18 Smith and Wesson.

I'd look for an old Colt Woodsman, or High Standard model to your liking. Maybe an HD Military. You just can't find that quality in a new gun. They will also appreciate in value over time.

If you aren't opposed to a revolver, I can highly recommend a model 18 Smith and Wesson.

Thanks everyone. I already have a few 22 revolvers (S&W 616, Ruger single six, LCR 22, and h&r 949) just looking for something in a more modern combat style

You may already know this, or don't care, but S&W doesn't make the M&P 22. It's made by Umarex.

Yeah I know the proof marks show that it is made by Umarex. I am willing to overlook that because of the materials used and (if) indications seem to say it is reliable

Have you thought about going with a Kimber .45 then buying a conversion kit.
I see the Kimber .22 is on the list.

Well almost nothing eats "everything". But if you own a 1911 I do highly recommend the Kimber .22 adapter. Adjustable sights and they shoot well