Those dang guys at HeroGear

Guest gcrookston

Guest gcrookston

Okay, didn't really need the 5" 27, nor the MkIII. The 36 was way old school after getting a 340PD. The 1927 Model 10 was way cool with a factory letter and everything... That 232 bites! But there was this Model 41 S&W, a one-of, superbly modified an all out go-getter.

Don't do show-and-tell at HeroGear....

You end up with something entirely different...

DSC00116.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston

I've been wanting that SASS for a couple of months, but I couldn't justify it. But I really couldn't justify the duplicates in my collection... Solution... trade 6 for 1.

Guest gcrookston
She's a beauty. What brand is it?

Armalite AR10. I've asked Joe to order me a real can (it came with a fake one). I imagine this is going to be more fun than a box of bunnies on Easter Sunday. Taking it to the range this morning to try it out.

Guest gcrookston
G...did you get your nightvision scope yet?

Naw, I just use my SAW at night... no sense messing around with targets you can't see. Kill 'em all, let the authorities figure out in the morning who was tresspassing and who was a racoon.

Range report:

Just back from the range. Armalite guarantees 1 MOA accuracy. They lie. I put 160 rounds through this gun. 80 were LC90 ball for sight-in and break-in purposes. Bore snaked every 10 rounds, rod and brush every 50.

Shot 80 rounds of Federal 168 gr. GMM, snaking every 10 rounds. Pittiful, just pittiful. I shot 9 - 5 round groups @ 100 yrds at 0.25 MOA or less. All other groups using FGMM were under 0.75MOA. There were no fliers.

Well, I expected an MOA gun and got less. I will probably need to report this to the authories. False advertising, I say.

If you advertise 1 MOA you should sell 1 MOA, not 0.25 MOA or 0.50 MOA.

:cheers::D:D

It will be interesting to see what effects a can will have on accuracy. I suppose it will be adverse.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston
Holy crap thats incredible! Im glad to hear you got even more bang for your buck then expected. Its always a nice surprise when the manufacturer under sells their product.

My M1a just got back shelfed... and this is what it does(3/3shot groups sighting in): (sorry, don't have pic's of the SASS performance today). It made these groups look large. Center mass, first group. 2 clicks left, upper right group, 4 clicks left upper right, center...

I'm not going to say the SASS was through the same hole, it wasn't. But I was shooting 5 round groups with that gun today that could have been covered with half a dime... POS, I say, It should have been a quarter or half-bit.

dsc00133sv2.jpg

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston
Wow. great range report Glen!

Joe,

some of my crappy guns... I've never been able to develop that eye for quality.

DSC00119.jpgDSC00117.jpg

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston
Wow that sure is a nice arsenal you have there!

thanks, Magic.

I'm from Colorado, my club had 250, 500 and 1,000 yrds range. That is what I was shooting. 100 is for sight-in.

Now that I live in TN, I've not been able to find any range with distance. The guns sit languishing (that 300 WinMag in the picture is zero'd at 500 yrds and hasn't been fired in 2 years). Except for the New SASS and .300, all the guns are zeroed at 200 yrds (elevatuion @ 5,210 feet)

Today I was only able to shoot 100 yrds. Is there anywhere in Middle TN to get out there for distance?

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston

Oh, before I forget, Joe @ Herogear has an AR10(t) version of this rifle hanging on the wall. Much less than the price of this one, but I would bet every bit, if not more, accurate than this (heavier barrel, recessed crown - something this one doesn't have).

Haha...was wondering what the rest of the deal was. I stopped by Hero Gear on my trip from Florida to Manchester, and met gcrookston, Joe, and DanO. Nice place with lots of candy for kids like me. Joe is hands-down one of the nicest fellows I've ever met. Dan, on the other hand...:D

Guest gcrookston
Haha...was wondering what the rest of the deal was. I stopped by Hero Gear on my trip from Florida to Manchester, and met gcrookston, Joe, and DanO. Nice place with lots of candy for kids like me. Joe is hands-down one of the nicest fellows I've ever met. Dan, on the other hand...:D

Deer slayer looks nothing like his Icon. He's actually much beefier in person :eek:... But a heck of a nice guy, all the same. I was trading 6 handguns for that SASS when he walked in, distracted Joe, made me my deal.... I think I owe him lunch

Edited by gcrookston
That picture was taken while I was on one of those low-carb diets--I felt like I was about to blow away.

Yeah, I would tell you had really been working out when I met you the other day...Dude, you were HUGE! :D

Good meeting you, and hope you can stop by again when you are in the area.