Calling all bikers!!! What do you have/had?!

I've always found it's better to buy the bike you want and learn to ride it than to buy a POS little bike and wish you'd bought a bigger one in 3 months or less. The Nomad is THE bike for cruis'n........

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with this statement.  As someone who has taught countless people to ride I can attest that it is much easier to learn motorcycle fundamentals on a bike that is light weight and doesn't have mountains of power.  I know that you ride a Goldwing, which I think is a fine ride but I would never tell someone that a Goldwing makes a great first bike.  If I'm teaching someone that has zero motorcycle experience I start them out on a CRF88 which has an automatic clutch, I then move them to one that has a manual clutch and then onto a KLX250.  For a first bike I recommend something that doesn't have body work, as it is expensive to replace when damaged, and you ARE going to drop that first bike, something that doesn't have a crazy amount of power and something that is light weight.  I had a 2006 GSXR1000 it was a very fun bike but there is no way that I would tell a person that they should get it as a first bike because that is the bike they want, with 180+HP weighing in at 440 pounds, that's just a death trap in the wrong hands.  By the way, I'm always willing to work with and teach anyone who wants to ride free of charge, I'll even provide the bikes.

• Like 3

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with this statement.  As someone who has taught countless people to ride I can attest that it is much easier to learn motorcycle fundamentals on a bike that is light weight and doesn't have mountains of power.  I know that you ride a Goldwing, which I think is a fine ride but I would never tell someone that a Goldwing makes a great first bike.  If I'm teaching someone that has zero motorcycle experience I start them out on a CRF88 which has an automatic clutch, I then move them to one that has a manual clutch and then onto a KLX250.  For a first bike I recommend something that doesn't have body work, as it is expensive to replace when damaged, and you ARE going to drop that first bike, something that doesn't have a crazy amount of power and something that is light weight.  I had a 2006 GSXR1000 it was a very fun bike but there is no way that I would tell a person that they should get it as a first bike because that is the bike they want, with 180+HP weighing in at 440 pounds, that's just a death trap in the wrong hands.  By the way, I'm always willing to work with and teach anyone who wants to ride free of charge, I'll even provide the bikes.

My first bike was a ZX6R... :whistle:

Lol, I grew up around bikes since I was a toddler and I agree with this statement totally. Dad wouldn't teach me(Custom build $30k bike, I wouldn't let me either, lol) SO instead I was going to attend a MSF course and get the insurance discount until a bud told me he'd teach me on his GSXR-600 so through that I got experienced on light weight high horsepower(not liter mind you) bikes and fell in love with sport bikes, just can't ride em long distance anymore BUT I will have one once again one of these days just for kicks. But I digress and this is just this fellers :2cents:

My first bike was an xr 100 and I taught myself to ride. My second bike was a yz 490 2 stroke with an Al Holley built motor. At the age of 13. I rode it one tight single track and turned into a good dirt rider, but that was one hell of a learning curve. My first street bike was a GSXR-750 at 17. Yes God watches over stupid people lol. I havent owned a bike in awhile, but Im currently looking for either an HD Dyna or a first gen Vmax.

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

• Like 2

My first bike was an xr 100 and I taught myself to ride. My second bike was a yz 490 2 stroke with an Al Holley built motor. At the age of 13. I rode it one tight single track and turned into a good dirt rider, but that was one hell of a learning curve. My first street bike was a GSXR-750 at 17. Yes God watches over stupid people lol. I havent owned a bike in awhile, but Im currently looking for either an HD Dyna or a first gen Vmax.

Shoot me a PM if you find an HD and I can give you some intel on it. When I first got mine, I did a BUTTLOAD of research on them, had to though cause I'd been running sportbikes for years before that and then switched all of a sudden, haha.

Shoot me a PM if you find an HD and I can give you some intel on it. When I first got mine, I did a BUTTLOAD of research on them, had to though cause I'd been running sportbikes for years before that and then switched all of a sudden, haha.

Ive been a big Harley guy for years, did a ton of research and almost bought one twice in the Corps. I just haven't found exactly what I want yet. Thanks for the offer though

My Harley is for sale guys I have it listed here in for sale section. It needs nothing already chromed out and fresh oil change right before memorial weekend.

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

Nice bike, but not my kind of scoot. Theres an 08 Hertiage classic at my wifes dealership that I could buy at dealer cost, which is $9k. I just really want a Dyna, really drooled over the Fat bobs for awhile and a few others.

Can't go wrong with a Fatbob, they're the only Dyna with dual disc front brakes in the Dyna lineup since the Lowriders. Not to mention stock with a 103ci. My wheel is set up to accept the disc but I'd need to do quite alot from the homework I've done, I'd almost be just as well off as getting a six piston after market caliper and it'd be cheaper to boot, lol.

• 1 month later...

Just came home with a new 2012 Victory Vegas 8 ball from Mountain Motorsports.

Victory.jpg

Kudos, those things are GORGEOUS. That is actually what had the competition for my affection when I was looking for my bike when getting off the Kawasaki(and actually the direct competition for the Street Bob in reality lol), the Victory beat the CRAP out of the Harley with its power/tq as well as handling and price to boot. The ONLY thing that turned me away was the lack of an aftermarket compared to the Harleys, they're there but just no where near the number of Harley stuff floating around. Plus, my dad has been a Harley guy since before my time so if I got another bike and it WASN'T a Harley, pretty sure he'd disown, LMAO.... but seriously.

Kudos, those things are GORGEOUS. That is actually what had the competition for my affection when I was looking for my bike when getting off the Kawasaki(and actually the direct competition for the Street Bob in reality lol), the Victory beat the CRAP out of the Harley with its power/tq as well as handling and price to boot. The ONLY thing that turned me away was the lack of an aftermarket compared to the Harleys, they're there but just no where near the number of Harley stuff floating around. Plus, my dad has been a Harley guy since before my time so if I got another bike and it WASN'T a Harley, pretty sure he'd disown, LMAO.... but seriously.

I rode a few Harleys: The Fat Bob, Softail Slim, and the Dyna Wide-Glide. All 3 did well, but there was just something about the Victory. The ride, the response, and the feel at cruising speed just felt right. That being said, I also have a sour taste in my mouth with Harley from many years ago (20 at this point, and more than I'd care to admit). When I was 17-18 (summer I turned 18. 1993) I bought a basket case 883. I worked like crazy on that thing to get it together and eating gas. With this thing, though, reliability was never in question. There was none :) I initially thought it was an indictment of my motorcycle assembly skills. Turns out, it was just a piece of crap AMF years bike. Long story short, I thought I should give Harley another fair shot (and I did this time around, I thought), and just liked the Vegas better. 

I really liked the high ball, as well. But I don't have a beard. For some reason, I feel like you need a beard or really long hair when riding a bike with, basically, ape hangers...

Edited by Good_Steward

I'd love to have a motorcycle one day. Right now i'm afraid ifi were to getone my mother would come back and haunt me( she never liked Motorcycles of any kind). It took all i could to get an atv. ( promising I wear my helmet everytime i ride) And yes, I usually am the only one riding with a helmet, even during this hot summer weather. I have rode a Gas gas off-road bike but would love to learn on the road someday. I need to be able to get my license to ride a motorcycle if I ever decide to get a Spyder. Yep, I'm a can-am geek.

Edited by Wyldk2
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest TankerHC

Went on my first ride today in over 11 years. Man, gotta say, wasnt "I didnt know was I was missing" I KNEW what I was missing. Wife didnt. She got on back of a bike with a friend years ago, the idgit wanted to show off and took the front wheel off the ground and about threw her off. Her first and last ride. Lasted 10 seconds. Took me 11 years to convince her to get back on a bike, tonight she did, short ride up to Chattanooga, down to Cleveland and back home, about 60 miles total. She loved it. Think we are going to head over to Charohala Monday or Tuesday.

Edited by TankerHC

Went on my first ride today in over 11 years. Man, gotta say, wasnt "I didnt know was I was missing" I KNEW what I was missing. Wife didnt. She got on back of a bike with a friend years ago, the idgit wanted to show off and took the front wheel off the ground and about threw her off. Her first and last ride. Lasted 10 seconds. Took me 11 years to convince her to get back on a bike, tonight she did, short ride up to Chattanooga, down to Cleveland and back home, about 60 miles total. She loved it. Think we are going to head over to Charohala Monday or Tuesday.

Nice and congrats on getting the misses back on two wheels! You both will thoroughly enjoy yourselves.

Guest TankerHC

Since I already posted in the other thread the really bad pic of my new (to me) HD. Here are some much better pics.

2005 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic

DSC_0005_zpsb1867880.jpg

DSC_0006_zps40ad1182.jpg

DSC_0010_zps0f0355c6.jpg

DSC_0012_zps349c50d9.jpg

DSC_0013_zps8086a800.jpg

DSC_0014_zpsd5aa355c.jpg

DSC_0016_zpseba3cf12.jpg

*sigh* Someday...

If I may ask in here, does anyone know anything about the class put on by Bumpus Harley in Memphis? Last I checked it was about $300, worth it?

Check out the MSF course at Southwest.  It's half the price:

https://registration.xenegrade.com/southwest/searchResults.cfm?prgID=8&CFID=1643068&CFTOKEN=e594f3c0ff198273-4A60957E-D763-CB93-9C690616CA719E35

2009 Kawasaki Versys. Bike in the background is a 1999 BMW F650. RV is for sale. 40' Alfa Toyhouse.

Kawasaki+versys.jpg

I really dig the look of the Versys. Something about the "Adventure" bikes that just look cool. Kind of mixes dirt bikes, sport bikes, and sport touring styling in a compact package....

Edited by Good_Steward
  • Like 1

Rupp minibike

69 Z50

71 CT70H

70 SL100

74 XL250 (enduro raced this one)

74 CB550

77  XS650

81 CB750F

74  R90s

83 R100s

Penton 250

94 R100GSPD

94 K75s

02 R1150R

86 R80RT

88 R100RT

89 NX 250

05 FJR

93KLX 650

If I could remember them all both my Dad and Brother each had as many or more bikes during the years.

I still have the R90s and still riding the FJR.

[URL=http://s779.photobucket.com/user/richarddacat/media/My%20FJR/P1040033_zps5fe531b4.jpg.html]P1040033_zps5fe531b4.jpg[/URL]

Guest TankerHC

Rupp minibike

69 Z50

71 CT70H

70 SL100

74 CB550

77  XS650

81 CB750F

74  R90s

83 R100s

Penton 250

94 R100GSPD

94 K75s

02 R1150R

86 R80RT

88 R100RT

89 NX 250

05 FJR

93KLX 650

If I could remember them all both my Dad and Brother each had as many or more bikes during the years.

P1040033_zps5fe531b4.jpg

I had one of the SL100's. Single 4 stroke. (Also had the SL350). On the 100 I took off the baffle. Thought it sounded pretty bad. (I was a kid)

no pictures available right now, but

I had a Honda z50r

Most mini bikes these days do not look anywhere as good as the Z50Rs did.

For such a small bike, it had some good power.  I remember Dad riding it, and pulling some hills that you would not believe I took it up.  Some that normally required 4 wheel drive.

Everyone in the county it seems rode that bike.  It was almost unstoppable.  After I was done with it, one of my cousins had it for a few years.  Lost track of it after it was sold again.

Got it when I turned 8 and wreaked it day one, first ride. 

Had that bike until I was in 6th grade when dad got me a Honda 100, used.  The bike had some issues but slowly got them worked out. Really liked that.

Then about 14 or so, dad got me a Honda 175 XL, street trail bike (1974 model.)  It was geared to high for the riding I did, but we changed the re sprocket from I believe 38 to 50 teeth.  It geared down about 2 gears.  It would climb a tree.

At 16, dad got me a 1986 Honda Rebel 250.  The think was beautiful.  Made my license on it.  Still have it, but it needs a major restore now.  I have started looking into what I need to fix it but not happy.

Rupp minibike
69 Z50
71 CT70H
70 SL100
74 CB550
77  XS650
81 CB750F
74  R90s
83 R100s
Penton 250
94 R100GSPD
94 K75s
02 R1150R
86 R80RT
88 R100RT
89 NX 250
05 FJR
93KLX 650

P1040033_zps5fe531b4.jpg

How do you like the FJR? Been debating between that, the concours and triumph trophy.

I had one of the SL100's. Single 4 stroke. (Also had the SL350). On the 100 I took off the baffle. Thought it sounded pretty bad. (I was a kid)

The one I had was a hand-me-down from my brother, Green, I think he had gotten a 305 Scrambler. I was 15 and was suppose to only ride in the backyards and around the block but I took off one day up McGavock Pike in afternoon traffic.

Flying over a hill, traffic had stopped and I plowed into the back of a car. A dark blue Sunbeam. I woke up in a yard across from the accident, unable to speak, scared me to death. I didn't break anything or rather I was never xrayed. The car driver apparently saw that I was alive and left the scene or maybe thought I was dead, don't know.  Suffered some road rash and I felt like I was beat with a bag of potato's.....for days. 

I stayed off motorbikes for a year but obviously got back on them.

How do you like the FJR? Been debating between that, the concours and triumph trophy.

Love the FJR, I seemed to be stuck on Beemers for quite awhile but this bike is really nice. If I could come to part with it the 013's would be my next bike.

It fits me but I also have bar risers and a Russell seat I also added hyway pegs. It's a roomy rocket-ship. The only thing I don't like is the bags but I don't pack much anyway.

I looked at the Concours14 but it seemed too big and cluttered. I also recently sat on the new Trophy. The Trophy sat very well for me and it's getting good reviews. If the Triumph didn't look like the BMR RT it may be a contender against the new FJR. The FJR is a good looking bike, defines sport-touring iMO.

Ride all three and see which one fits you the best, they are all nice bikes. BTW, there may be some left-over Honda ST's if you're looking in that field. 

Good luck  :up:

[URL=http://s779.photobucket.com/user/richarddacat/media/My%20FJR/CIMG0203_zps7ac10717.jpg.html]CIMG0203_zps7ac10717.jpg[/URL]