Well Memphis has done it again ?

I honestly think debt at every level of government is the next bubble to bust. Many cities and counties are really bankrupt in the true meaning of the word. Sometime in the near future, that river of debt that's been pushed up river's gonna come crashing in. It ain't gonna be pretty when it does.
  • Like 4
  • Moderators

I honestly think debt at every level of government is the next bubble to bust. Many cities and counties are really bankrupt in the true meaning of the word. Sometime in the near future, that river of debt that's been pushed up river's gonna come crashing in. It ain't gonna be pretty when it does.

Take a look at Birmingham, AL for a perk at that future.

Why only 400 employees, I bet that city would be the same mess it is today if they laid off 50% of the city employees.  Nothing but a bunch of make work jobs to begin with.

Loosing delta airlines cutting back jobs at the airport . Raising taxes , laying off over 400 city goverment employes , but what else could Mayer warden do after the great king Willie Harrington left the town in bankrupted state, but you get what you ask for. http://www.wmctv.com/story/22488284/wharton-proposing-overhaul-of-city-government

Why only 400 employees, I bet that city would be the same mess it is today if they laid off 50% of the city employees.  Nothing but a bunch of make work jobs to begin with.

well only laying off about 400 because the city jest uped the tax another .36 cents to keep the other worthless crap employees , that city is going no where and never will. All the money left years ago. Any one with any sence moved out long ago. If tn. Could jest cut off that part of the state we would be one of the most wealthiest states in the United States . And a lot less crime.
  • Like 1

Yeah, they are upping the property tax rate because the value of the homes have dropped.  For example when I got my property appraisal a while back my home when from $99k to $75k.  And considering homes in my neighborhood that are comparable to mine are selling for less than $50k, I'm screwed.

• Moderators

Sounds like another Detroit?

There is much closer history and resemblance between the two cities than most people realize. The only reason Memphis isn't as bad off as Detroit is that we had our period of total domination by a single industry in the pre-industrial era. Detroit was hit much harder by the loss of US manufacturing.
Guest nra37922

Blah Blah Blah, bash Memphis, Blah Blah Blah

NOTHING wrong with Memphis itself as it used to be a neat city.  Its the vermin that infest the city that has ruined it. 

From the Memphis Business Journal, 7 Feb 2013

"Memphis had the fifth-highest violent crime rate in the U.S. through the first half of 2012, according to Federal Bureau of Investigation data.

Memphis’ violent crime rate of 871.88 crimes per 100,000 residents ranks only behind Flint, Mich.; Detroit; St. Louis; and Oakland, Calif."

Edited by nra37922
Guest nra37922

When the New Madrid finally cuts loose and all the vermin are left to roam in the surrounding areas it is not going to be pretty.  Memphis may become the new Atlantis but the crap is going to float to the surface.

Guest nra37922

Having lived in Detroit, I watch what occurs in Memphis and just shake my head at the future.

But the infestation of vermin is every frickin where.  East Knoxville, North Nashville, Chattanooga and even the smaller cities such as Franklin.  Memphis is just now more violent than the rest.   If your house was infested with roaches you would fumigate the place to get rid the the problem. as much as possible.  What passes as crime control nowadays just allows the roaches to relocate.

Guest nra37922

This^^^. 

It's hard for some people to accept reality I think.

It is impossible to fix a problem if one isn't willing to see the problem.  Much easier to look the other way until it affects one on a personal basis.  All I know is that I don't want to be anywhere near the Memphis area after the New Madrid cuts loose as not only will what we now consider the basis needs of survival be disrupted but the two legged vermin will be running wild. 

This^^^. 

It's hard for some people to accept reality I think.

There is a high crime rate in Memphs, there is no denying that. But what people who don't live here fail to understand is that most crime in Memphis is between individuals that are related or know each other. I don't see the "stranger crime" as being any worse then anywhere else. I have lived in Memphis my whole life, just shy of 51 years. There is nowhere in Memphis that I am afraid to go. There are places I would advise seniors not to go. But for the most part "if ya aint in nothing, there won't be nothing". Now when you speak of the leaders, they are our own worse enemy.

• Like 2