Didn't know they made 9mm air rifles.

Sam1

In the recent search for pellet rifles, I discovered they make .357 pellet guns that do nearly 1000fps with a 72 grain pellet (equates out to about 150 ft/lbs).

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sam_Yang_Recluse_Dual_Tank_Air_Rifle/2510

That is some insane power for a pellet gun!  I was just expecting the little multi-pump .177 and .22's that we had growing up as kids 20+ years ago and thought they were the stuff.

Then, I seen that the .177's are pushing 1500fps now too, I mean holy hell batman those are legit squirrel hunting rifles.  But even better, I found a break barrel at wallyworld today on sale for $90 that came with a .177 and .22 barrel (1000fps/177 - 800fps/22).  There is just a lot of crap available these days that I didn't even know existed.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They also make a .50 caliber airgun that pushes a 225 grain pellet at 600 fps.

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/_50_Caliber_Dragon_Slayer_Air_Rifle_December_2007/45
Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

Food for thought.   You could pay about the same to silence a .22 as you could get that 9mm air gun which is probably very quiet and as powerful as a 9mm handgun.  But silencers are "bad" and have to be regulated.  Derp.

I've always enjoyed air-rifles, in fact we are going out this afternoon to shoot our Gamo's (.177, 7.4gr @ 1000fps) & some of our air-soft stuff out back.

I'd really like to try one of these 9mm/.357 big-bore airguns, but as much as I enjoy airguns in general I've been hesitant to get into PCP airguns, seems like it would get expensive fairly quick.

I'd have to have a high pressure air compressor capable of refilling scuba tanks, that I'd also have to buy, along with airfilters, moisture traps, guages, lines, etc.

I don't think I'd be satisfied with just a handpump, simply because of the effort & the time required to refill the air resevior on the gun.

Wow, I wonder how loud those are.

I seriously doubt its loud at all, at a guess you could probably use it all day without hearing protection.   Ive shot a few $$$ airguns but they were all small pellet, and the sound was very little.

So, the muzzle blast is gonna be quiet as long as it's made out of air? I would think it takes a similar pressure curve to push a 9mm projectile down a rifled barrel, no matter how the pressure is developed.

BTW... it's actually pretty close to a .380.

Edited by mikegideon

So, the muzzle blast is gonna be quiet as long as it's made out of air? I would think it takes a similar pressure curve to push a 9mm projectile down a rifled barrel, no matter how the pressure is developed.

BTW... it's actually pretty close to a .380.

From Crosman's website:

How quiet is the Rogue? Depending on the settings of the EPiC panel, noise levels average 88dB.

Here are some #'s for comparison:

Table 1. SHOTGUN NOISE DATA (DECIBEL AVERAGES)

.410 Bore 28" barrel 150dB

26" barrel 150.25dB

18 _" barrel 156.30dB

20 Gauge 28" barrel 152.50dB

22" barrel 154.75dB

12 Gauge 28" barrel 151.50dB

26" barrel 156.10dB

18 _" barrel 161.50dB

Table 2. CENTERFIRE RIFLE DATA

.223, 55GR. Commercial load 18 _" barrel 155.5dB

.243 in 22" barrel 155.9dB

.30-30 in 20" barrel 156.0dB

7mm Magnum in 20" barrel 157.5dB

.308 in 24" barrel 156.2dB

.30-06 in 24" barrel 158.5dB

.30-06 in 18 _" barrel 163.2dB

.375 — 18" barrel with muzzle brake 170 dB

Table 3. CENTERFIRE PISTOL DATA

.25 ACP 155.0 dB

.32 LONG 152.4 dB

.32 ACP 153.5 dB

.380 157.7 dB

9mm 159.8 dB

.38 S&W 153.5 dB

.38 Spl 156.3 dB

.357 Magnum 164.3 dB

.41 Magnum 163.2 dB

.44 Spl 155.9 dB

.45 ACP 157.0 dB

.45 COLT 154.7 dB

I've always enjoyed air-rifles, in fact we are going out this afternoon to shoot our Gamo's (.177, 7.4gr @ 1000fps) & some of our air-soft stuff out back.

I'd really like to try one of these 9mm/.357 big-bore airguns, but as much as I enjoy airguns in general I've been hesitant to get into PCP airguns, seems like it would get expensive fairly quick.

I'd have to have a high pressure air compressor capable of refilling scuba tanks, that I'd also have to buy, along with airfilters, moisture traps, guages, lines, etc.

I don't think I'd be satisfied with just a handpump, simply because of the effort & the time required to refill the air resevior on the gun.

Good point, we bought a compressor system for paintball tanks and it was almost $4000 for the entire setup and two storage cylinders. No way I could afford something like that on top of the gun

OK guys I'm a bit of an air gun nut. The Rouge is quite because it has an integral suppressor called a shroud. These are legal on air guns because they can't be put on a firearm, they come apart when removed. An air gun like the 9mm sounds like a .410 non suppressed. Even .177 sound like a .22 LR. These aint the daiseys you had as a kid. You need a special pump or as I do Scuba tanks as my rifles take 2600 to 3000 psi air charges. I also have a Shoe box compressure that turns 85psi air from a pancake compressure in to 4500 psi. HTH.

Joe W.

Also read  http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-1st-circuit/1527670.html

Edited by bronco302

.177's only sound like a .22LR if the pellet is going fast enough to be supersonic, thus producing the sonic "crack" otherwise they are not very loud at all.

I'm not talking about a pump up Daisey. I've been shooting these things for twenty years. British made Falcon FN12, 850 fps with a 10.9gr pellet. you need hearing protection when you shoot it.

OK guys I'm a bit of an air gun nut. The Rouge is quite because it has an integral suppressor called a shroud. These are legal on air guns because they can't be put on a firearm, they come apart when removed. An air gun like the 9mm sounds like a .410 non suppressed. Even .177 sound like a .22 LR. These aint the daiseys you had as a kid. You need a special pump or as I do Scuba tanks as my rifles take 2600 to 3000 psi air charges. I also have a Shoe box compressure that turns 85psi air from a pancake compressure in to 4500 psi. HTH.

Joe W.

Also read  http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-1st-circuit/1527670.html

Sounds like a whole lotta trouble, especially since you can make a bunch of pressure with a thimble full of Varget :)

Sounds like a whole lotta trouble, especially since you can make a bunch of pressure with a thimble full of Varget :)

It can be a bit bothersome but they are safe. I've never heard of one that was not abused that come apart. Big thing is I have to drive thirty miles to legally discharge one of my firearms . I can sit on my 1/2 acre (keeping my lead on my land) and legally shoot my air guns ( yes I checked with the Sheriffs office) all day. That just make them fun.

Joe W.

I'm not talking about a pump up Daisey. I've been shooting these things for twenty years. British made Falcon FN12, 850 fps with a 10.9gr pellet. you need hearing protection when you shoot it.

I've been shooting airguns for almost 40 years.

If your Falcon makes that much noise when it is firing pellets at subsonic velocities then there is probably something wrong with it or who ever designed it did a crappy job.

I've never owned, seen, or even heard of an airgun that I (or anyone else) needed to wear ear protection to shoot pellets at subsonic velocities.

Examples to follow:

An Arrow T50 heavy duty stapler into a piece of wood. 97 decibels

A Swingline light duty stapler into a piece of wood 93 decibels

A battery powered 1/2" drill 71 decibels

Opening a full soda can 85 decibels

The sound of a doorbell 71 decibels

Airguns:

R7/HW30S (.177) 88 decibels

RWS 34 (.22) 90 decibels

Kodiak/Patriot (.25) 91 decibels

See where I'm going with this? You might want to go have your Falcon checked out & serviced or something.

Yes nowhere. You just named three Spring Piston air guns, completely different power plant. Lets try some PCPs from Pyramid air.

Career 707 .22 carbine 126.2 decibels

Career 707 rifle .22       126.3 decibels

Hammond Wasp 9mm     126.8 decibels

Sharp ace hunter .177    123.03 decibels

How about a Daisey single pump 853 .177  116.50 decibels

I've read a Sheridan pump will make 120 but I've not seen it.

This is why so many are coming out with barrel shrouds now days.

As far as my Falcon there is nothing wrong with it. I don't have a number on the Falcon but if you know someone with a meter I'll find out.  

I'll give you it may not make 140 decibels but it will get in the 120s.

Oh and it appears you got your numbers off of Straight Shooters web site. None of the guns they list are PCP, all Springers.

Joe W.