Commercial Zero Turn Mowers

Guest nicemac

Guest nicemac
For you guys that know about such things…

I am about to buy a new Zero Turn mower. I mow 3 acres every week and 2 additional acres every few weeks.

I have narrowed my decision down to two models: 
  • A Toro Z Master 3000 Series with a 27hp Kohler EFI engine with a 60" deck 
  • A Scag Tiger Cat with a Kawasaki 730FX (carburetor) with a 61" deck. (Scag doesn't advertise the hp on this engine, but I found a Kawasaki web page that lists it at 26.5hp)

The best price I have gotten is exactly $1 difference out-the-door, so that is no real consideration.

I like the fuel economy of the Kohler engine with EFI-it is a lot better than the engines with a carburetor.

Both mowers will do the job nicely, are heavy duty and will last me for years. At this point, I am not really looking for suggestions on alternatives. My question is this: Between these two, which would you buy and why?
All I can say is that I love Kawasaki engines, however I have no experience with those two models. Scags are not as common as they once were, I don't know how servicing will effect that. However EFI does sound appealing. With the EFI, does the manufacturer and the dealer still recommend ethanol free gasoline?
Guest nicemac

Scag with Kawasaki in my mind.  I am big fan of the Kawasaki engines.  I think the scag will ultimately mow faster as well.

Scag is my choice , better built , faster time wise ,more cleaner cut , it's like a tank .

The Toro has a better warranty. Is that just marketing?

Guest nicemac

All I can say is that I love Kawasaki engines, however I have no experience with those two models. Scags are not as common as they once were, I don't know how servicing will effect that. However EFI does sound appealing. With the EFI, does the manufacturer and the dealer still recommend ethanol free gasoline?

From Kohler:

Fuel must meet these requirements:

● Clean, fresh, unleaded gasoline.

● Octane rating of 87 (R+M)/2 or higher.

● Gasoline up to 10% ethyl alcohol, 90% unleaded is acceptable. 

Looks like (crappy) ethanol gas is OK…

I got a Toro demo unit from Brentwood Lawnmower. I mowed 5 acres on less than 3 gallons of gas (how much less, I am unsure. I put 3 gallons in it and didn't run out).

The Toro has a better warranty. Is that just marketing?

Unless the warranty is more than a year difference, I think the Kawasaki engine more than makes up for it.  EFI is nice, but I think it is also more complicated if something does go wrong, although if the warranty is that much better, it may make sense.   

Edited by Hozzie

I think the suspension seat on the Scag is not to be overlooked.  Doesn't seem the Toro has that.  Have you driven a Scag?  I would try to get a demo of it as well.  I think that will help you make a final decision.

• Like 1
Guest nicemac

Unless the warranty is more than a year difference, I think the Kawasaki engine more than makes up for it.  EFI is nice, but I think it is also more complicated if something does go wrong.   

It is three years on the Scag, five on the Toro.

Guest nicemac

I think the suspension seat on the Scag is not to be overlooked.  Doesn't seem the Toro has that.  Have you driven a Scag?  I would try to get a demo of it as well.  I think that will help you make a final decision.

I noticed that as soon as I sat down on the Scag. It was more comfortable. I used my dad's Kubota ZD21 (diesel) over the weekend. It was like driving a car it was so comfortable-the seat was incredible.  However, I can't justify THAT much money for a mower with my small amount of grass to mow.

As I will not be using this for commercial work, that may not be a huge factor. I will be mowing the same yard (that is not very rough) each week, so if I find it bumpy, I will fix the yard…

I probably need to see if I can get a Tiger Cat out to mow before I make a decision. I have been to the dealer near my office (in Nashville) twice now at lunch time and can't get anyone to help me. They had one customer on the floor looking at a chainsaw on one visit, nobody on the floor the other time. I crawled over the machines for 45 minutes now and have never had anyone ask if they could answer a question. They list a second location in Arrington. I drove there when I got off work yesterday since they weren't answering the phone (just rang and rang). Looks like it is closed up and gone to me…

I got a price quote from an out of town dealer (but close enough to drive) that beat the tagged price of the Nashville dealer by $650. 

The 5 year warranty on the Toro is good, but I suspect it doesn't cover the engine.  I think the engines both have a 3yr residential warranty.  It's still a good warranty for pumps and things like that, but it is probably worth double checking with Toro.

I would definitely mow with the scag if I could and I think the decision will be pretty obvious one way or the other.  If you like both equally after that, I would probably go with the Toro for the extra warranty. There seems to be a few scag dealers around.  I would think you could find one that provides decent service.  

Edited by Hozzie
Guest nicemac

The 5 year warranty on the Toro is good, but I suspect it doesn't cover the engine.  I think the engines both have a 3yr residential warranty.  It's still a good warranty for pumps and things like that, but it is probably worth double checking with Toro.

I would definitely mow with the scag if I could and I think the decision will be pretty obvious one way or the other.  If you like both equally after that, I would probably go with the Toro for the extra warranty. There seems to be a few scag dealers around.  I would think you could find one that provides decent service.  

Both engines are "warrantied by the manufacturer" I believe both are three years…

Yeah, I didn't realize Franklin Kubota was a Scag dealer until yesterday. I will head over there in the next couple of days.

Edited by nicemac
I have that exact Toro and have mowed six acres every year for five years. Changed the oil every spring and put three belts on it. Starts every time, doesn't care how long the grass is, runs like a top. Edited by Two Dogs
Guest nicemac

I have that exact Toro and have mowed six acres every year for five years. Changed the oil every spring and put three belts on it. Starts every time, doesn't care how long the grass is, runs like a tpp.

Is yours the EFI Kohler? I like the idea of the "modern" technology that will provide better fuel economy, but worry about the reliability of the electronics.

I've got a Toro Z Master with the Kohler engine and 60" deck but it's a carb model. I purchased it well used and it had a deck bearing rattling. I replaced that and took off and 3 1/2 years later it has cut countless acres of grass ranging from lawn grass to out in the waist and chest high fields (probably should have used the bush hog but the mower was quicker because of size). I've not been on any later model Skags so i can't really compare the 2 but i can say that the Toro is a great and very tough mower.

If i was buying new, with my bad back i would have to take a look at the Skag with suspension. Good luck with the decision.

+1 for the Toro's we beat the hell of our one and it kept on running. The scags are really nice to. I think in that range of mower it will come down to personal preference. I have no mowing experience with the scag but I loved the toro.
Edited by babelt
Kawasaki engines are awesome. I have a 1996 Eagle Star (Yazoo Kees made them) I bought 3rd hand that was used commercially and I've had it for at least 10 years. It has been kept outside in the weather just covered over with a vinyl tarp and that engine has not gave me an ounce of trouble. Only time I had to even get close was when E10 ate the gas line and fuel filter up, but no problems even out of the carb or engine itself (I use non-e10 now from CO-OP).

A friend of mine mows commercially with an old SCAG and while I helped him cut grass one year, it never gave any trouble either.

That said, I'd not hesitate to buy the Kawasaki powered SCAG. Edited by JohnC
I used to have 6 Kawasaki motors for commercial work (floor machines) that ran 6-8 hours 7 days a week. Never once had a single issue with them. Hardly ever even changed the oil (maybe twice a year).

With that said I would personally save several thousand dollars and go with a Bad Boy 60 from TSC. Built as tough as any mower I've seen and a better dealer network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD