So I had the chance to shoot an AK-47 today and...

Guest glocklocker19

You haven't seen my latest prices then ;). Well under a grand - I'll let willis68's comments speak for themselves.

the winky thing at the end of my sentence meant I was kidding.   :)

my WASR has a bayonet lug.

Edited by Mike.357

I have shot 'em. They go bang, a projectile goes down range and a casing ejects from the chamber.

Give me an AK over an AR any day.

I agree Mike,

I have never shot an AK rifle before I bought mine from Hershmeister, I was so impressed with the platform that After researching these rifles for a couple of weeks i ordered one of these, expensive yes, but to me it will be worth it!
http://www.krebscustom.com/KalashnikovRifles.shtml Edited by willis68

wow that thing looks like it could not decide if it wanted to be an AR or an AK.  Might be the perfect blend for guys that like to accessorize.

I am just glad I never caught the AR bug.

Exactly why I bought one,

I will mount an Eotech and a Surefire light on it, after this rifle I don't think I will ever have another AR. I know this is a lot of money to put into an AK but when it is all said and done it will be cheaper than the LWRC that I wanted and Magpul is making Pmags for the AK very soon

The $500 I have invested in my .223 Saiga is some of the best money, I've invested in a firearm!  It's simple and rugged and as accurate as I am.  I've been shooting AR's for more than 30 years and I'd pick my Saiga over any of them.

And the fact that OS hits with it only reinforces how good of a rifle it is.

It's true! :)

Seriously, the three or four times I've shot that thang I've done as well as with any other rifle with open iron sights, and likely a bit better than my ARs. Something about the blade and notch being pretty narrow, only one way to line them up, while my ARs with either A2 post sight or flip-ups have margin for slop to still have front post somewhere in the peep but not perfectly aligned. 'Course, the rifle has to shoot consistently true too, and Mike's really does seem to, near as I can tell with my limited ability.

However, unlike OP's assessment, I think the AK's recoil is greater than the AR's. Then again, at least up to 150 yards or so, 7.62x39 may be a better round for battle purposes. :stir:

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

What difference do you feel between a milled receiver and a stamped receiver when firing the rifles?

I bought a WASR on a lark a few years back. I thought my kids would get a kick out of shooting it. I didn't have any interest in one personally. After shooting it, I became quite the fan.

I also bought an AR a while back. After shooting it, I'm not that impressed. It doesn't fit me correctly, the adjustable stock pulls your whiskers, and it just feels cold and uncomfortable to carry or shoot.

It's hard to describe, really. It's heavier than a stamped so that helps with the minimal recoil. In my experience milled is smoother. No grinding along the rails like my various stamped aks.

Just if you get the chance, shoot a milled. Arsenal SLR-101 FTW lol
That "grinding" is really just the paint/park that's on the rails getting worn down by the cycling of the action. I've seen many people handle new AKs and complain about how "rough" they sound/feel. It's a temporary condition that goes away once the rifle is broken in.

I cant tell the difference shooting a milled and 1.6 mm stamped. . but I can seem to feel the "flex" of 1mm stamped gun. . .could just be in my head. But my Polytech is certainly more accurate hot than my Maadi ARM was. .

As far as recoil goes my Polytech galil side folder would leave a bruise on my shoulder after a few hundred rounds with just the factory muzzle nut. . I put an FSC 47 comp. on it and it just straight up lays there now. . .very little recoil no noticable climb. .

Nice UJ.  I love shooting mine.  I am so happy I spent all my ammo money on 7.63X39 before all the stupidness happened.  I rarely go the range without it tagging along.  And the fact that OS hits with it only reinforces how good of a rifle it is.  I am pretty sure with some practice at long range it would hit all day long out to 1K yards.

I wouldn't consider an AK a 1K rifle, more like 300 yards. The ballistics for that round just aren't there. With that said, I love AK's, I sold mine to get my car fixed in 2010.

Edited by ab28
The funny thing about this for me is, while I worked in Western Africa in 2004 and 2005 I totally despised AK weapons as I on several occasions witnessed children having them strapped on them and on occasion had them pointed at me at check point stops to find out if I was French, if not for my American passport I would have been executed by one from a child's hands during several uprisings that I had to crew change through.

These weapons always seemed like piece of crap cheap guns that anyone in a third world country could easily obtain. I refused to buy one back when they were dirt cheap. But the one I bought from Hershmeister changed my opinion. I have fired just over 400 rounds of some extremely cheap military surplus ammo that was given to me for free, this gun will not malfunction no matter what I do to it, it shoots where I point it and is a blast to shoot. I still love my AR15 rifles but I have a strange suspicion that when I get my Krebs it will become my favorite long gun
  • Like 2

AK's are fun, I have a few.. I really enjoy my SBR'd Draco, but they're all behind my AR-pattern guns on the "depth chart" for social purposes.  The ergonomics are just terrible... the trigger is the only control on the whole gun that is where it needs to be.  The stock sights aren't good either... now that I think about it I have optics on all of my AKs.   :rock:

DanO

Krebs are very, very nice.

Apparently in high demand as well, I just got word that it will be several months before my rifle is built. Oh well I have waited longer for 1911 pistols to be built, this one should be worth the wait
  • 2 weeks later...

Everyone needs one or two Ak's in their arsenal. If anything to put one in the hands of a novice in SHTF situations where familiarization and training time will be in short supply. Milled receivers are great but I give the nod to the stamped receivers for weight savings. IMO they just have a better balanced more natural feel to them. Like an extension of your arm.

Everyone needs one or two Ak's in their arsenal. If anything to put one in the hands of a novice in SHTF situations where familiarization and training time will be in short supply. Milled receivers are great but I give the nod to the stamped receivers for weight savings. IMO they just have a better balanced more natural feel to them. Like an extension of your arm.

Or an Arsenal AK...  :dirty:

• Like 1