What do I need to do to legally sell a rifle to a friend?

Guest nygaard_kevin

Guest nygaard_kevin
I'm wanting to sell a rifle of mine to a friend, he's not a not a felon, but I'm not sure if I have to take any legal steps before selling it to him. Anybody have any advice?

Nothing if he is legally allowed to possess a firearm. The only thing you need to do is collect your money and hand him the gun.

If you want you can have him sign a bill of sale or transfer it through a FFL but that is not required.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Like 1
FIREARM BILL OF SALE
Buyer certifies that they are not restricted or forbidden by law to own a firearm and buyer states that he/she:
• Has NEVER been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
• Is NOT a fugitive from justice.
• Is NOT an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance.
• Has NEVER been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution.
• Is NOT an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United states or an alien admitted to the United states under a nonimmigrant visa.
• Has NOT been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
• Having been a citizen of the United states, has NEVER renounced his or her citizenship.
• Is NOT subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner.
• Has NOT been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
• CAN lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.
• Is NOT a person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
I truthfully state that I AM NOT a person who cannot legally buy, receive, and posses firearms and/or ammunition.
Full Name _________________________________________ Signature _______________________________________
Firearm(s) sold
Make: __________________ Model:_____________ Caliber: ____________ S/N: _______________ Cost: ___________ Make: __________________ Model:_____________ Caliber: ____________ S/N: _______________ Cost: ___________ Make: __________________ Model:_____________ Caliber: ____________ S/N: _______________ Cost: ___________

Buyer

Seller
(NAME)

(NAME)
(ADDRESS)

(ADDRESS)
(DL)

(DL)
(CWL)

(CWL)
(Contact #)

(Contact #)
I understand the firearm is sold AS-IS and no warranty has been implied or given. Firearm should be inspected by a competent gunsmith prior to using. Seller not responsible for any damages incurred or caused by the use of this firearm.
Sale Date
Sale Conditions: _____________________________________________________________________________________
Buyer Signature:_________________________________ Seller Signature:_____________________________________

I'm wanting to sell a rifle of mine to a friend, he's not a not a felon, but I'm not sure if I have to take any legal steps before selling it to him. Anybody have any advice?

Long as he's a TN resident, good. Should he live in AR or MS (or any other state), illegal by federal law. Just thought I'd mention that since no one else did.

- OS

• Like 1
Guest nygaard_kevin
Ted, is that required? This is a close family friend that lives in TN, is record is clean, and has no drug issues or anything of that nature. Can I just hand him the rifle and he hands me the $, then call it a day? Or do we need to fill that form out?

Ted, is that required? This is a close family friend that lives in TN, is record is clean, and has no drug issues or anything of that nature. Can I just hand him the rifle and he hands me the $, then call it a day? Or do we need to fill that form out?

Take his money and shake hands. That's how i'd do it

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

• Like 1

As long as you have no reason to believe that he is a resident of a different state, or prohibited from owning a firearm, nothing is required in TN. Not even the handshake. :)

Oh, and in TN you cannot sell a firearm to a minor.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I will tell you this and take it for what it's worth it's your choice if you do or don't .this happend to a good buddy of mine , he sold a rem 1911 to a good friend of his that friend had sold the gun 4 years later to a women . The buddy of mine had bought the gun at a gun store and filled all the paper work in his name. Now the buddy of mine made his friend fill out a bill of sale and when his friend sold it to this woman made her fill out a bill of sale when he sold it. Well it seems the women that bought the gun her husband was killed with this gun and she told the cops some one broke into there house and shot him , we'll the cops ran the ser number it came back to my buddy so one after noon swat team rolls up to my buddy's house with guns all pointing and bust his door down yelling don't move cuffed him and said thay had a warrant for his arrest , so he was hauled down town and put into a room for the detectives to talk to , started out where was you on sutch and sutch a date and time he asked why he had no alaby being he lived by his self . for that time frame thay wanted to know, wanted to know why he shot and killed this person and wanted him to tell the truth of what happend, he asked shot with what all his guns where locked up in his safe, thay asked if he owned a rem 1911 45 he said use to sold it asked if he had proof he said sure , asked if he could call his brother to go get the bill of sale out of his safe , no problem said the officer so he called his brother and told him to go by his house and get the bill of sale out of his safe and gave him the combo and where it was in his safe and bring it to the police station, well after the detective got that then he wanted to know if he knew how he could get in touch with the person he sold the gun to ,he said yes I have his phone number right here. Then asked him if he still lived at this address he said yes, thay finely un cuffed him and let him go. Told him not to have any contact with his friend what so ever and he agreed, well 2 days later his friend called him up and said your not going to believe this cops swamed my house and hauled him in ,he told the same story about him haveing a bill of sale that his wife had to bring to the police station, he asked his friend if he knew what really happend he told him this women had shot and killed her husband, but she must of for got she signed a bill of sale on this gun before she killed him with it. So I think it was a good thing that both of them had a bill of sale who knows how that would have ended up. Call it cover your a## if you like.

Can you tell me what it says?

i made the mistake of re-reading it, my head hurts worse now.

Why would cops storm his house and then another guys when the perp was the lady they talked to first?   I dunno about this thing.

that is one hell of a sentence.

my iPad will not let me brake it down into par for sum reason sorry , I'm jest going by what he told me, why the cops did what thay did I do not know . Suppose the lady made it out like some one else did it she had lied to the police and thay where doing what thay do best find out who did it neather the less he went through a lot of crap over it by the police. For some thing he had nothing to do with. He's lucky he had that bill of sale though. Edited by ted

I think I've deciphered it. I'll attempt to make it short and to the point.

Buddy 1 sold a pistol to Buddy 2.

Buddy 2 sold the pistol to a Woman.

Woman kills her Husband.

Police trace down paper trails to find the last buyer of pistol.

Woman was last person to sign saying she bought the pistol.

Buddy 1 and Buddy 2's houses were swarmed with door busting police who arrest them.

They each have a bill of sale to whom they sold the pistol to.

As for what I do with private sells.

Me, I ask to see I.D. to be sure they are of age to own a firearm. DL is fine.

I ask if they are legally allowed to own a firearm according to state and federal laws.

At this point you just have to take their word for it and make a decision based on the answers and action of the potential buyer.

And YES, I've refused a sell to people. 

• Like 1

Its very rare that I sell guns, likely never will, mine will be heirlooms!  I may have sold 1 or 2 in the past 15 years.  I do still buy from time to time, and have amassed a small collection because I refuse to sell/trade based upon I don't know whose hands it will fall in.  Now I do understand the TN laws on selling guns, always have.  I just do not want the burden, guilty conscious, or scrutiny if one of my 4473 guns were used in a crime and I had to defend who I sold it too, even though I may have sold it legally.  

Now I do understand the burden to legally sell a gun from one individual to another is on the seller.  To accomplish a legal transaction, the seller must ask the question, are you the buyer prohibited by law to own a gun, etc.  If you do not ask, you can be both criminally liable and found civil liable!  

If I were to sell one of my 4473 guns, I would have paper bill of sale, DL #, and at least the question, are you prohibited from law of owning/possessing a firearm.  Pending a complete financial meltdown, I will likely never sell any of my guns.  Each has a story, a purpose and each is destined to one of my sons!  Making $50-$100 on flipping guns here and there, just is not worth it for me, and selling one to make room for another, I just consider the risk to great.  I just save my pennies for new projects or sell something in the garage on ebay to buy a new one.  I may be just the odd gun nut, just my 2 cents! 

• Like 2

I would get a record of the sale of the firearm to your friend. Just in case. These days, who knows what might happen down the road.

As for me, I could sell my guns ( i have a few) But like someone said before, they will be heirlooms to my kids and further down eventually.

Had a friend sell all his guns and now he's regretting that decision.

If I am correct, under Federal law, selling across State lines only applies to handguns. You can buy and sell long guns across State lines unless the purchaser's State has other laws. Edited by Bill4282

If I am correct, under Federal law, selling across State lines only applies to handguns. You can buy and sell across State lines unless the purchaser's State has other laws.

No, that is any firearm and would be considered trafficking. Unless you're a gunrunner for Obama/Holder/ATF, then by all means carry on your patrotic duty... :yuck:

Edited by whitewolf001