Worst Gunstore Ever

Guest BBmG

Guest BBmG

This is a word of warning to my fellow East Tennesseeians who might find themselves in Oak Ridge, outside of a little store named Austin's Tennessee Firearms. My advice? Turn and run. Very, very fast.

I finally got a scope and scope mount to put on my mosin nagant. My prefered store, Frontier Firearms, doesn't offer gunsmithing, so I turned to a closer, local joint... Austin's. This was a terrible mistake. The day is April the 7th, and I go into the store to drop it off. I give them a brife explination of what they'll need to do; the brass stacker scope mount is a bit different than most methods of mounting a scope, mainly being incredibly easy and simple to do compared to the drilling and tapping methods normally used. (For those not familiar with Brass Stacker's see-through scope mount: http://brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/Mosin-Nagant-M9130-See-Thru-Scout-Scope-Mount.html). I even included the instructions from Brass Stacker with it.

I didn't hear from them that first week, or the one after, so I made the first call of many. Over the next month I left messages Inquiring as to the status of my gun and made visits down to the store (they always seemed to be closed). A month and a half in, I suppose I just got lucky and actually caught someone willing to answer the phone for once. They told me that their gunsmith had broken his leg a while ago, and that my gun would be ready that week or the next. Those two weeks passed, I got no call, so I started to call every couple of days. More messages were left. At this point, I'm starting to get angry with the horrid customer service, and after the two month mark, the messages stop being polite.

Two and a half months after I brought my gun in, I got someone to answer the phone again. They said it would be ready for pick up the next monday at 2. I asked how much it was going to be, and they promptly tried to charge me for the mount I'd bought months earlier and brought in. I told them quite plainly I would not be paying for that. I went in that monday and the store was closed, there were no guns on display, and the mail had not been checked. The closed sign said back at three, so I returned and they were still closed. I left a message in their mail box that read, "Three ####ing months later, I want my mosin nagant back with the scope mount I brought in". I was starting to get pissed. I talked with my friends and family about the issue, and then, only a week away from a full 3 months of them having my gun, we decide that if it was not back in my hands at the end of the week, we'd report the gun stolen. All attempts to get the gun thus far had failed, but first we'd give them a warning about what we would do. The next time I called (no answer) I left a message stating that if I didn't have it back by the end of the week, I'd be reporting it stolen.

What do you know, that actually got them to call me back. For the first time, in nearly three months, they finally called me back after I left a message. Holy ####ing ####. Apparently, that's what it takes to get, "The Good People of Austin's" to return your call. They told me to come in immidiatly, so I jumped in the car and headed straight over. The day is now July the 3rd - only 4 days off from a full three months. They reveled my nagant to me and said they'd "taken the mount off" after I told them over the phone that I, "wasn't going to pay". What they failed to hear was, "for a scope mount I already bought" right after that. The bolt was rusted, but thankfully I'm not an incompetent boob like everyone at Austins, and I had it cleaned, buffed, and oiled back to shape pretty much five minutes after I got home. (This is East TN, you learn to deal with humidity and rust.) I also found some new scratches on the finish of the mag body. I dunno about you, but I find it very unprofessional to turn a gun over in worse shape than it was brought in. Thankfully, it's a mosin nagant and who cares if it's got some scratches, I was just happy it wasn't gone forever. They claimed they'd "refinished" the sight because they scratched it getting the pins out. They wiped oil on it and nothing more. The original dings from my attempts to punch the pins at home were still there; I gave a pin a few taps, found it it was silver solderd on my model after some quick googling and stopped. I'm pretty sure they thought I wouldn't know any better, because they seem to assume that all of their customers are simpletons who don't know anything about firearms. I'm a young female to boot, so they probably took me for a chump. They've always had that, "better than tho" attitude about them, and I was never comfortable in their store in the past... Further inspection once I was home revealed the soldering was never removed, and I have doubts the gun ever made it to a gunsmith. I'm actually glad they did that though, since it means they didn't get any of my money, and I can now take my business to someone I WANT to pay.

As I was leaving the store, the owner had the gall to get on me for leaving "nasty" messages. If they don't want nasty messages, I'd recommend they try responding to the first two months worth of nice, polite messages.

If you know someone in the East TN area who loves their firearms, warn them about this place. Spread the word. I'm considering going to the local papers and having an article done to see if I can't have them run out of buisness entirely. Oh, yah, they also price gouge. Out of the four local gun stores, they're the most expensive with the worst selection. If you had no other options but wal-mart and Austin's, I'd reccomend wal-mart, and I hate that place.

Edited by BBmG

Shame to hear. Austin's used to be good people (and at one time a vendor here). 

I haven't been out there in a couple of years but no inventory sounds about right but they did often get some killer deals.

Thankfully, I've never needed the services of a gunsmith.  Many shops appear to farm that work out to less than reliable hacks who get around to things when they feel like it.   

All that being said, did you just join to bitch about the place?

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

I am sorry to hear you had trouble there. 

I have dealt with Austins off and on for the past 3 years.

I know with the shortages their walls have been a bit bare lately.  They did good work for my mosin about 2 years ago. (had an issue with my bolt and head spacing.)

BTW, Frontier Firearms does have a Gun Smith or at least they did a year ago.  He was slow but also seemed to do good work.  I know he had a 3 week back log almost all the time.

The link didn't work, fixed it for you here.

brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/Mosin-Nagant-M9130-See-Thru-Scout-Scope-Mount.html

http://brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/Mosin-Nagant-M9130-See-Thru-Scout-Scope-Mount.html

Edited by vontar
Guest BBmG

I am sorry to hear you had trouble there. 

I have dealt with Austins off and on for the past 3 years.

I know with the shortages their walls have been a bit bare lately.  They did good work for my mosin about 2 years ago. (had an issue with my bolt and head spacing.)

BTW, Frontier Firearms does have a Gun Smith or at least they did a year ago.  He was slow but also seemed to do good work.  I know he had a 3 week back log almost all the time.

The link didn't work, fixed it for you here.

brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/Mosin-Nagant-M9130-See-Thru-Scout-Scope-Mount.html

http://brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/Mosin-Nagant-M9130-See-Thru-Scout-Scope-Mount.html

Thanks for the link fix!

I actually called Frontier first and at the time, they told me they wouldn't be able to do the work. It seems they're not currently employing an gunsmith.

Edited by BBmG
Guest BBmG

Sadly, IF you run them outta the current business, they just open up somewhere's else and practice their incompetence(more like don't giva s***) on other unsuspecting customers.

Sorry you had to deal with that level of aggravation.

I honestly think they're about to go under anyways. They used to do okay work, but when they started to struggle, rather than being honest with their customers about the work they could do, they accepted jobs they were hardly capable of doing just for some cash.

Edited by BBmG

When I saw the title my first thought was Austins. I have been in there 2 time and both time witnessed an employee talking down to a customer. I figured the 1st time was a fluke and decided to stop in again because I was early meeting up with someone and had 30 min to spare. I walked in and first think I heard was the guy there telling the guy he must be stupid if he wanted to buy a Ruger hand gun. He continued how irresponsible it would be to rely on a Ruger to save your life. When the customer said he carried a Ruger LCP as an EDC the employee said I guess your life does not mean that much to you. I turned around and walked out. I can't stand people that flat out insult someones choice to protect themselves.

When I saw the title my first thought was Austins. I have been in there 2 time and both time witnessed an employee talking down to a customer. I figured the 1st time was a fluke and decided to stop in again because I was early meeting up with someone and had 30 min to spare. I walked in and first think I heard was the guy there telling the guy he must be stupid if he wanted to buy a Ruger hand gun. He continued how irresponsible it would be to rely on a Ruger to save your life. When the customer said he carried a Ruger LCP as an EDC the employee said I guess your life does not mean that much to you. I turned around and walked out. I can't stand people that flat out insult someones choice to protect themselves.

WOW!      What an indictment. 

Guest BBmG

Go to Predator Custom in Knoxville and talk to Bob..I guarantee you ,you wont have a problem...

Karma is a bitch tho... I wouldnt worry to much about the other people.

.Garbage in,Garbage out...simple:)

I'll have to give them a call, thanks!

Guest nra37922

I've heard of Austin's and generally not in very favorable terms.  But I've never been to them, way to far to begin with, so really cannot confirm the details.

NOT pushing anyone's store but

Coal Creek Armory
10737 Dutchtown Rd.
Knoxville, TN 37932
Phone: (865) 966-4545

Has ALWAYS been very good, at least to me.

Guest BBmG

:lol:   That place has never been spoken of with kind words around here (they also used to be a vendor on TGO).  Regardless, I've never had a problem there.

I don't know how...

Frontier Firearms does have a Gunsmith. They call him Red. 

He owned his own Gunsmith business for years before going to Gander Mountain.

He left Gander Mountain where as of 2 weeks ago he was still working at Frontier Firearms.

Not trying to call you out on anything, I'm just saying they have a Gunsmith.

Whether he does custom gun work or not, I do not know. I do know he does work on factory stuff.

Custom being making of or modifying parts.

And I'll agree. I was not impressed with Austin's in OR.

Edited by TnShooter83

Maybe I am just darn picky, there are not too many service providers of any kind that I end up happy with!  I just don't use service providers anymore, unless I have to, I usually do most myself.  From doing my own gunsmith work, to changing my own oil in my vehicles, heck I learned to sweat pipes to replace a hot water heater, charge my own a/c and etc.  You tube is my friend on many projects, its not that I am cheap, its that I do not trust to many service providers and ones that I do, I end up very disappointed, and words are said, etc. 

P.S. I lied, I am a little cheap!  So some of my self taught lessons from youtube is cost based! 

Edited by Runco
  • Like 2
Guest BBmG

Frontier Firearms does have a Gunsmith. They call him Red. 

He owned his own Gunsmith business for years before going to Gander Mountain.

He left Gander Mountain where as of 2 weeks ago he was still working at Frontier Firearms.

Not trying to call you out on anything, I'm just saying they have a Gunsmith.

Whether he does custom gun work or not, I do not know. I do know he does work on factory stuff.

Custom being making of or modifying parts.

And I'll agree. I was not impressed with Austin's in OR.

Well, as of three months ago, they either didn't, or he was so back logged they were just turning down gunsmithing requests. :(

I'd like to hear Mike Crowe's side of the story.  I have dealt with him and have known him for 5 or 6 years, I consider him a friend.

You, a newcomer to TGO comes in and bashes a store and a man I know and respect.  Did you join here just to throw dirt at Austins?

• Like 2
Guest BBmG

I'd like to hear Mike Crowe's side of the story.  I have dealt with him and have known him for 5 or 6 years, I consider him a friend.

You, a newcomer to TGO comes in and bashes a store and a man I know and respect.  Did you join here just to throw dirt at Austins?

I don't think of it as throwing dirt so much as using my freedom of speech to share my expierence and help others when making a decision about where to go. I'm a member on several other firearm forums, but I decided to check out this local one as well, and seeing as it's local, a store review made sense. I'll be here for more than just this though, if that's what you're wondering. Seems like a cool site. What you see above is what happened on my side of the story. Since I hardly EVER heard from them the entire three months, it's a bit hard for me to post their side.

If you are good friends, I'd actual like to hear his side of the story too. I never did, since I couldn't get them to call me.

Edited by BBmG

I wonder if he is still involved there?

(last appearance here was Jan '12, btw).

- OS

• Like 2

like I wrote, I'd like to hear Mike's side of the story too.

Like OS pointed,  maybe he is not the owner anymore. Dunno.  Have not been to active in buying guns lately.

Edited by Mike.357

Like OS pointed,  maybe he is not the owner anymore. Dunno.  Have not been to active in buying guns lately.

edit - 

As of a month or so back, (I thought....) he was still listed on the FFL database at ATF.  I think Earl Austin III is his son   son?  At some point I think there was multiple licenses, does not seem so now.  Just see the one (E.A. III) at quick glance.

Edited by R_Bert
Guest BBmG

This might be the case. I'd go onto their site and check, but it went down shortly after I took my gun in, and is still down. Checked it earlier today out of curiosity. I'm not actually sure who was in charge when all this went down.