Need help planning a trip to the Smokies

Guest confidence

Guest confidence

My wife and I are thinking about taking the kids to the Smoky Mountains for a few days and I need some advice planning the trip. I see that we will definitely be camping in a tent and not in a cabin since the only cabins are the LeConte and they're somewhat pricey. But I know nothing about the Smokies at all. Like where should I camp at? What's the best place? And what are the best places to see? Since I have young children/baby, is it going to be impossible to see anything without trekking through the mountains for 2 hours with little ones on our shoulders? Or are there kind of more accessible things that we can do with little ones? If this is not a good idea to do with little ones, then my wife and I may just go. Haven't decided.

Anyway, I would be most appreciative if any of you have gone and could at least provide me a few hints to point me in the right direction. At this point, all I know is A. The Smoky Mountains are beautiful. B. I wanna go.  So I need some help putting this into a practical vacation plan. Or at least a few hints. Thanks!!

Tent camping has to be in a campground or back country camp site. You have to get a back country permit and make reservations if you want back country camping. All the park campgrounds are nice. Elkmont and Cades Cove are the most popular.

There's a bazillion cabins and several campgrounds near the park... Gatlinburg, pigeon forge, sevierville, wears valley, Townsend, Cosby, ....

Roaring fork motor trail is nice. Several short hikes off it. Porters creek trail is a good one with kids. Laurel falls, Abrams falls, little river trail, the sinks, the Y, clingmans dome,.... Lots of stuff.

This is my turf.  Lots of stuff to do, less so with small children.  Clingman's Dome, Newfound Gap, and go over to Cherokee and watch the elk makes for a good family day.  A trip around Cades Cove is a must with the family.  I highly suggest getting there early (7-8 preferably) before the traffic.  The gates open at 7 except for Wednesdays and Saturdays when it opens at 10.  Ober Gatlinburg has a lot of family activities (they also prohibit carry.)  The strip in Gatlinberg and Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville for that matter is a tourist trap, the Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg is pretty neat though.  You could spend weeks in the park if that is your kind of thing, tons of history in the area if you like that kind of thing.  This is off the top of my head, feel free to ask me any other questions.  BTW several GSMNP campgrounds are currently closed,check the park's website to make sure the campground you want is open.   

Climgmans dome is a definite must see. If u make it into Gatlinburg eat breakfast at the bearland grill ( right up the street from the overrated pankcake place) it was the best food I had while there! There are several places where young children would be no problem

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Guest Keal G Seo

Well it depends on what you are really wanting to do. There is a nice, kid friendly camp ground just down the highway from me, Southwest Cosby, Yogi the Bear's Jellystone Campground. Right here behind the house (few hundred yards from the campground and able to drive to) is an entrance to the National Park. It is a pretty steep climb, my wheelchair can still make it up it, but that makes it a shorter trip. There is the Willis Baxter cabin on that trail and a bit further up is the top, not sure what the view is this time of year though. And when all else fails there is Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge just down the road with all the tourist things. They vary from really indoorsy like Moving Theater and Wonder Works to semi indoorsy like the Aquarium and water park to some good outdoor activity like Zip lines, Zorbing (going downhill in a big plastic ball), tubing (though not recommended this weekend due to high water from rain).

There is all kinds of stuff to do in the Gburg area. If you end up wanting to come this way and can't get a spot at Jellystone let me know and I can get the number for the campground/rv area behind my house. Not much to this one though, concrete slabs, grills and fire pit...more like a cheap public park but they usually have vacancies.

I highly recommend Bennett's Barbecue for Breakfast, lunch, and supper.  Best breakfast in Gatlinburg IMO.  Another fun and inexpensive activity is river tubing in Townsend.

And seeing as the water tends to be a little low in the summer I bet it's great right now!

Jeff

Given small children, I might recommend a commercial campground in Townsend. For a motel, I highly recommend
http://www.townsendgatewayinn.com

For a campground, I'd recommend http://www.mistyriverrv.com/

These are the best in the area. misty river is RV focused, but they have great facilities.

The townsend gateway is unbelievable. It's a motel, but the accommodations and hospitality are truly the best. I live 45 minutes away, but this place is a vacation.

If you stay in Townsend, spend morning in cades cove, the sunset near clingmans dome, day hike in elkmont, visit the aquarium, picnic along little river road, sunset on foothills parkway, Abrams falls hike, take in a smokies game, etc. [/url] Edited by wareagle

And seeing as the water tends to be a little low in the summer I bet it's great right now!

Jeff

Water a little low? It hasn't stopped raining since February. Most of the creeks have more water in them than they have in 20 years. And it's really, really cold.

Water a little low? It hasn't stopped raining since February. Most of the creeks have more water in them than they have in 20 years. And it's really, really cold.

And hazardous.  I got swept away in the Little River several miles east of the Y back in college and it was not fun at all. 

There have been 11 rescues up there today.  http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/jul/06/11-rescued-from-little-river/

Guest Keal G Seo

And hazardous.  I got swept away in the Little River several miles east of the Y back in college and it was not fun at all. 

There have been 11 rescues up there today.  http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/jul/06/11-rescued-from-little-river/

Speaking of, was baby sitting my nephew on the 4th and one of his little girlfriend's father brought her over while he was going kayaking, not sure where but would bet was on Little River. Anyway, he got flipped and bounced around enough that he had to wet exit. Lost his paddle and luckily someone grabbed his kayak just a little down stream. I give the rain at least a week after it stops before considering taking kids on any water adventure.

One thing to keep in mind about the GSMNP campgrounds is that there are no showers in the bathrooms. May not be a big deal to your family, but some wives are turned off by that. Any of them are quite nice though. I just did a day visit of Cosby and it is very nice there. Elkmont and Cades cove are some of the more popular, and crowded ones.Alcohol is permitted in the campgrounds, but trust me when I say they will catch you drunk driving. My folks used to camp host and they are very familiar with some of the rangers. DUI busts are one of their top priorities. Carrying with a valid HCP is also permitted in any of the campgrounds or back country trails / sites. New rule this year: ALL backcountry camping requires not only a permit, but also a reservation. The reservation number is on their website.

Guest confidence

One thing to keep in mind about the GSMNP campgrounds is that there are no showers in the bathrooms. May not be a big deal to your family, but some wives are turned off by that. Any of them are quite nice though. I just did a day visit of Cosby and it is very nice there. Elkmont and Cades cove are some of the more popular, and crowded ones.Alcohol is permitted in the campgrounds, but trust me when I say they will catch you drunk driving. My folks used to camp host and they are very familiar with some of the rangers. DUI busts are one of their top priorities. Carrying with a valid HCP is also permitted in any of the campgrounds or back country trails / sites. New rule this year: ALL backcountry camping requires not only a permit, but also a reservation. The reservation number is on their website.

Thanks! Good info! How are they with open carry? I usually conceal, but when hiking I like to carry openly.

Thanks! Good info! How are they with open carry? I usually conceal, but when hiking I like to carry openly.

I don't really know how they are with open carry, as I have no experience with them in that regard. I do know that every one I have met has been extremely professional, and they all appear to know the law very well. Plus, in the back country they travel alone, so if you were to meet one, and you are polite, courteous, and friendly, they will likely not have a problem with you. Of course it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) never use the opportunity of being in the middle of nowhere in the GSMNP to do a little target practicing. It will not end well for you. THAT the rangers would not  be OK with.

GSMNP is one of the most car-centic parks in the NPS system. You do not have to haul your kids on miles of trails through the woods to see the good stuff.

Newfound Gap, Clingman's Dome (The parking lot views are great. Haul your kids to the top only if you like to punish yourself), Cade's Cove, and my personal favorite, Roaring Fork. Plenty of little pull outs to get out of the car and enjoy the stream and woods. I enjoyed Hungry Bear BBQ which is located just outside the exit of Roaring Fork.

I love this site for finding trails that meet a person's needs/capabilities.

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/difficulty.htm

One of the shortest and flatest trails in GSMNP is the Spruce-Fir on the way up to Clingman's Dome. You'll see a little pullout on the left with a trail head style nature sign. That's it. It goes back into a spruce forest . Beautiful.

+1 to Laurel Falls on the way to/from Cade's Cove. The trail is paved all the way up to the falls so you can push a stroller. It's uphill and I personally wouldn't want to do that, but I saw plenty of parents with their younguns doing it. If you can keep going up the unpaved trail after the falls, you'll find yourself in some fantastic old-growth forest. The sinks are also on that road and impossible to miss.

As for non-GSMNP stuff, you'll have plenty to do with the kids in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Your wallet will hate you but your kids will love you...until you say no to doing "just one more.....pleeeeeeeease". +1 to Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg. It's quite good.

Guest confidence

If you are going into GSMNP I strongly suggest that you do the research. Here is a link on carry in the park to get you started:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Thanks. I know the Federal and TN law regarding National Parks well because of extensive past research, but I don't know NC. In TN, we can carry in a National Park (including open carry) except for posted buildings. I'll have to start from scratch on NC, though. Thanks for the link.

Guest confidence

It's bugging me that you are considering taking a baby tent camping. I think I'd rent a chalet in the Cades Cove area. Great place for wildlife and scenery  

It's looking more like it may just be my wife and I. We need the time away!

Guest confidence

If you are going into GSMNP I strongly suggest that you do the research. Here is a link on carry in the park to get you started:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Thanks. I know the Federal and TN law regarding National Parks well because of extensive past research, but I don't know NC. In TN, we can carry in a National Park (including open carry) except for posted buildings. I'll have to start from scratch on NC, though. Thanks for the link.

Also, just so you know....When I asked how they are with open carry, I didn't mean "What is the law?" I already know the law but was just trying to get a feel for how the rangers react if they see someone carrying openly. Do they freak out and surround them guns drawn?