Gun Geo Marker

If you have not already heard about it and checked it out, you may want to take a little time and look into the Gun Geo Marker application that is currrently being offered on Google's Play Store for Android based devices.  It allows people to mark the businesses and residences of "dangerous" gun owners.

From the beginning of the App's description. "Geolocate Dangerous Guns and Owners with the Gun Geo Marker. Geolocation means marking dangerous sites on the App's map so that you and others can be aware of the risks in your neighborhood."  see the Play Store or the developers site for a more detailed description (see links below).

I contacted my cell provider. Verizon, to express my concerns over the legality and their potential liability for allowing such an app and its information to flow through their service.  They were very attentive and I had a long discussion of the apps issues and my concerns with them.  They agreed it was something that should be looked into and started a ticket to escalate the issue.

I encourage everyone to reach out on this one.

Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.ucsd.visarts.walkingtools.gungeomarker

Developer Link:  http://gungeomarker.org/

• Like 1

We need to get a form letter posted on the forum that members can easily print it out and mail or email to their phone service provider.  This is a request for interested members to put their concerns into formal language and make it available ASAP.

There are innumerable ways for this app to endanger or undermine our community.  While the first thing that came to mind was some anti marking our home addresses, it is just as likely that businesses allowing the carry of handguns will be marked as unsafe and experience a serious loss of revenue -- for supporting our rights.

We have to jump on this one quick, guys.  We're not dealing with some stick in the mud politician who won't change his mind regardless of how many letters he receives.  Nope, this time it's private businesses (telecommunications companies) that absolutely will respond if enough consumers make a stink.

• Like 1

I pulled up the app this morning when I saw if first hit the news.  Of around 1,400 to rate it, just over 1,300 were one star (lowest).  Some reading on various sites comments that people (appear to be gun owners) are marking everything from 1600 Penn. Ave. in D.C to the maker of the application. 

If I thought that marking my own property to keep salesman and Jehavoh's Witness' away, I'd mark mine in a heartbeat.

• Like 2
Its been posted here twice already

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67614-Gun-owners-treated-like-pedofiles

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67669-gun-geo-marker

Tapatalk ate my spelling.
Edited by Spots

I think this app is much ado about nothing; or perhaps to say it another way; it's fighting technology that, even without this app, has been around for quite a while now and that Jeni is not just out of the bottle but has long since fled the jurisdiction.

If someone wants to geotag you for whatever reason or not reason I see of now way to stop them. Moreover, I seen nothing even remotely illegal/unconstitutional/morally reprehensible in them doing so.

The only way to fight this that makes sense to me is that, when it comes to firearms or any other personal matter, you should be circumspect about what you say and who you say it to including in online forums like this or any other social medial outlet....either that or just don't give a damn what other people think of you...both ways work equally well I think,

I think this app is much ado about nothing; or perhaps to say it another way; it's fighting technology that, even without this app, has been around for quite a while now and that Jeni is not just out of the bottle but has long since fled the jurisdiction.

If someone wants to geotag you for whatever reason or not reason I see of now way to stop them. Moreover, I seen nothing even remotely illegal/unconstitutional/morally reprehensible in them doing so.

^this 

More accurate data is currently available by cross referencing the previously public HCP lists with the TN comptrollers real estate assessment data to gain HCP holder's property addresses. Luckily the HCP side of that loophole was closed back in April of this year and with every day that goes by the list the commercial appeal had been publishing gets less and less accurate as the data decays.

Thanks for the links Hammer Swinger.  I did a search before posting and it returned nothing.

I agree that this app is easy to thwart but the bigger issue is if providers such as Google, AT&T and Verizon allow apps that can be used to target an individual or business because someone "feels" a certain way to exist on their networks.

I agree that this app is easy to thwart but the bigger issue is if providers such as Google, AT&T and Verizon allow apps that can be used to target an individual or business because someone "feels" a certain way to exist on their networks.

If you start down the road of ISP inspection of internet data to see what it's being used for it's a VERY slippery slope. You quickly get into things like AT&T not wanting google voice apps on phone b/c it allows users to skirt long distance fees via IP telephony, and Verizon wanting to drop netflix b/c it competes with their home video offerings. You can also be easily targeted by a teenager spoofing a 911 call from your home(google "swatting") but you don't go after the ISPs for allowing the traffic you go after the user and the developers of apps that break that trust.

Great point 2.ooohhh.  Need to be careful what one pushes for.  There is a great article in this months issue of wired on General Alexander and his control; over government agencies and their use of cyber attacks and data monitoring.

Interesting read. 

Here is a link to the story for any interested:  http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/06/general-keith-alexander-cyberwar/

We need to get a form letter posted on the forum that members can easily print it out and mail or email to their phone service provider.  This is a request for interested members to put their concerns into formal language and make it available ASAP.

There are innumerable ways for this app to endanger or undermine our community.  While the first thing that came to mind was some anti marking our home addresses, it is just as likely that businesses allowing the carry of handguns will be marked as unsafe and experience a serious loss of revenue -- for supporting our rights.

We have to jump on this one quick, guys.  We're not dealing with some stick in the mud politician who won't change his mind regardless of how many letters he receives.  Nope, this time it's private businesses (telecommunications companies) that absolutely will respond if enough consumers make a stink.

You are late for the party if you want phone service providers to not support anti-gun companies. 75% of the market uses an Android operating system. Google owns that system and they are as anti-gun as a company can be.