Shingles are a Son of a B_____!

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

Last August two days prior to heading out on my Civil Wargams (22 Battlefields, the Confederate White House, Museum of the Confederacy, in 20 days), I cam down with something I didnt know what it was. I left MS and drove up to Pa. to meet up with a cousin and get started. On the way up, my head was on fire, first time I ever stopped at a truck stop to take a shower, 8 times on the way up, needed cold water on my head. Got up to Gettysburg where the cousin lives and could only stay five minutes. I was in the most agony I have ever been in, I would rather have a big blue marble sharp pointed kidney stone (Which I have had 4 times), and was there 5 minutes before deciding "I dont know what this is, better go to the ER before I die". Get to the ER, takes the doctor a few minutes to rule out everything else, but right off the bat he says "I have bad news for you, I believe you have shingles" and while sitting there, with the left side of my head on fire, red things popping up on my face like mars getting hit with giant meteors I ask "Why is that bad news". Well I soon found out, first I was really lucky, I know because 3 different Doctors said so, really lucky because they had not seen anyone with shingles on the head that didnt come out with at least some permanent scarring. Secondly, it damaged the vision in my left eye. And finally, originally it was suggested the chest pain I mentioned I couldnt get rid of, disappeared with the Tiger Balm patches, came back in two days and I have a new Doctor, a different medical professional last week suggested I might have Thoracic something Syndrome, nope...fricken shingles....I have (?) Herpetic Neuropathy in my left chest. From having the shingles, which is why I have had this chest pain since nearly a week or two after having shingles, which got steadily worse, and has been terrible up to today. I am now on Pregabilin, which is supposed to take a week to start working, still have the pain but Doc says this should help immensely.

BUT THATS NOT THE STORY!

So I am standing at the gunshow talking to gimlet today, when I start noticing sharp burning pains in the right side of my head. I didnt say anything because if I would have said to gimlet "I have fireballs shooting out the right side of my head", he might think I was more weirder. Well I went into the show and couldnt stay but about 10 minutes, knew what was coming and headed down the road, called the wife and said "Your not going to believe this, I think I have shingles again, I am having the exact same symptoms as last time except on the right side of my head". She ordered meto go right to the ER, which was already the plan. Sure enough, ruling everything else out, Ill be picking up my Valacyclover (Which also happens to be a treatment for genital herpes), and Lortab in a few minutes.

I must be at about the day 2.5 level, because thats what the pain level is at the moment, compared to last time.

If you "would like" to know what it feels like, I can tell you how to find out, and you can even make it like a boolit casting party, invite some friends over, have a few beers....

Invite 10 friends over, before they get there, like any other party you have to set up, so go to the store and buy you 20 cases of book matches. While your out, stop by your barber and have him shave your head. When the friends arrive begin the party by handing everyone two boxes of book matches. Instruct your friends that you will stand in the middle, while they all simultaneously light matches, blow them out and stick them to your shaved head non stop, before they cool, until they run out. (Note: for a real 4th day and beyond effect, keep the matches lit).

Now do that all day, every day, for a week or more.

This sucks. I am one irritagted MF'r right now. Because shingles are A SON OF A B______!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear all that (and didn't know folks got it on the headbone) but shingles horror stories led me to get the inoculation for it last year, didn't even wait for it to be free under Medicare.

Not even sure I had chicken pox as a kid, but apparently you can get shingles even if you didn't, though having had chicken pox bumps your odds way way up.

Also, the shot is far from a guarantee, but gives one much better odds, and is supposed to mitigate the severity even if you wind up getting them in spite of it.

You definitely need to check into it, see what the procedure and effectiveness is taking the shot after you've actually had a bout of it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Wow.  I've never heard of anybody having it on their head either.  Most folks I know that have had it all had it on their chest or stomach area.  And most all of them said it was one of the most difficult things they had ever had to deal with.  Good luck and I hope the meds start to take effect soon!

Been there, done that! Once was enough for me. I had an eruption on my arms and chest. Really can't imagine a breakout on the face and head. Doctor told me mine was stress related, and told me to change my lifestyle before I had a heart attack.

Sorry to hear all that (and didn't know folks got it on the headbone) but shingles horror stories led me to get the inoculation for it last year, didn't even wait for it to be free under Medicare.

- OS

Medicare wouldn't cover the shot for me.  My Family Dr. gave me a prescription and I bought the serum at Super D for $100 and he administered the shot.  I have a drug plan but it didn't cover the shingle serum.

Edited by deadeye111

Damn how did u get em??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

If you have ever had Chicken pox, you are at risk.

There is a shingles vaccine, I know my doctor told me I am still too young for it(38).  However I have learned there was a family member that had it at a somewhat young age for shingles so I am going to bring that up with my doctor.

BTW, if no one cares to answer, how old were you when you got shingles?

Normally it only affects one side of the body so OP's case sounds really ugly.

]

Update

www.mayoclinic.com

The shingles vaccine is recommended for all adults older than age 60.

Dad knows of a family member that got it around 50 to 55 ish.  So plan to get the shot early if I can

Edited by vontar

My wife had the same thing in her right eye 4 weeks ago. Went to doctor on day 2, and just today put her contacts back in.

Feel for you, feel for anyone in the house living with you.  You are not exaggerating one bit about the misery.

B.

Edited by R_Bert
Guest Bonedaddy

My cousin is currently gettin' over his bout with it but on the right side chest around to his back. I had the chicken pox and I really need to see if my doc will give me that shot, just in case, cuz I keep expectin' to get it, anytime, now, bein' 51. Maybe the insurance will cover it but who cares, I don't need anymore BS to go with the back and neck crap I already got.

Medicare wouldn't cover the shot for me.  My Family Dr. gave me a prescription and I bought the serum at Super D for $100 and he administered the shot.  I have a drug plan but it didn't cover the shingle serum.

Hmm, well maybe it doesn't. I have an Advantage Plan for part D, can't seem to find whether it does or not, just became part of he Geezer Plan this month.

But anyway, I didn't wait, just walked into a CVS last year to get it, also 100 clams.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest TankerHC

I was 49 the first time. I dont know if a Doctor here will chime in but I can tell you what my Doctors told me the many times I have talked with them about it.

I was told (Again), less than two weeks ago that I cannot get the shot until I am 60. I said "Well what if I go to Walgreens and just pay and get the shot". Response. For one thing it can cost up to $245, and I am your Doctor and just told you, you should not have the shot until you are 60". So before going to Walgreens or CVS or wherever I would certainly do some investigating before just sticking that needle in my arm. Im going with my Doctors advice.

Three different Doctors have told me the same thing. They used to rarely see a shingles case come into the ER, not its all the time and the people are getting younger and younger. They dont know why because norally it would affect people over 60, older people.  They dont even have a test for shingles and they do not know what causes it other than it's from the same virus that causes chicken pox. It is "Assumed" that it is brought on by stress. But they are not 100% sure. They dont have a test, the only way to know for sure is to eliminate everything else that it could be.

You do get it only on one side of your body. Every Doctor I spoke with said the same thing, never seen anyone with it all over. Not a Doctor and going by memory here, it is somehow related to the central nervous system (Or something like that) and will only affect one part and one side of your body. I was told if you get it on your head, you wont normally see it around your waist at the same time, on your waist, same thing. Etc. Last time I had it only on the left side of my head. It went down to my eye all the way from the back of my head, and the weird part was that it was almost like a perfect split, right down the center of my head and left, now its right down the center of my head and right.

If it comes up on your head, it will damage your eyes if not treated. Last time I didnt know what it was, didnt go to the Doctor for three days after it started. As soon as I told him my symptoms, very first thing he did was told me it was going to be about half an hour they were calling in an eye doctor, this was at 2 in the morning. That eye Doctor came in, shined that bright light thing in my eyes and was so serious about it and told me I could go blind or severly damage my eyes that he scared the crap out of me. When the Doctor told me I had to take these pills five times a day, every day for ten days, dont miss one, you have to take them all. I didnt BS, if I had to get up out of bed at 3:36 and 40 seconds to take it, I did. And it still damaged my left eye. Current medicine is not the same as the last, but today the Doc said it would have (Or should have) just been a different anti-virul. This time its 3 a day for ten days. And you cant get looked at by a doctor for the eyes just once when you have it. Last time I had to have my eyes checked three times during that run, and today was told go see my PCP and get my eyes checked again not later than Tuesday and every couple of days until it goes away.

As far as the shot, one Doctor told me it still hasnt been proven 100% effective, you can get the shot and still come down with shingles.

I have to tell you, this may not be the literal version of suffering but it sure as hell is misery. I have a spot on my head, right near the dead center of the crown of my head and just a little off to the right, that just will not fricken stop. Its one sharp like burning pain right after the other, which is kind of funny, because the whole right side of my head is burning or whatever, but that one spot has the rest of the side of my head outdone. And here is the worst part. This medicine doesnt get rid of it, it doesnt even get rid of the pain part all the way, these shingles have to run their course. Once the medicine the last time I had it took effect, it really did ease it up a lot, but stepping out in the sun, bad. Waking up, always had the pain. Actually always had it for the whole time, but with the meds, just not as bad.

If you can get the shot, I would. Even if there is a chance you dont get it, its better than getting it.

Yea, Im sitting here with it typing, but what are you going to do? Nothing you can do except take the medicine. EDIT: AND COLD WATER AND LOTS OF IT. I spent more time in the shower running cold water on my head than I did taking showers the three previous months combined. Only thing that would cool it off.

Edited by TankerHC
Guest Bonedaddy

Get ya two or three of them head bands that you soak in cold water and wear that till it warms up and put another on there. They always helped when doin' yard work in the Summer for me. Soak in cold water and keep in the fridge till needed or ya could do a towel the same way and pretend you're a customer service rep till it warms up.

So sorry to ear of anyone with shingles.

Wife had them they chased up the nerve chain to her left eye, nearly lost her sight in that one.  Took 6 months for it to be less than horrible.  I have watched her go through kidney failure, dialysis, transplant surgery, taking out all her sinus bone divisions from a mold infection, a car wreck that nearly got her, and she said all lumped together, everything else did not hurt as bad as the shingles.

Only thing that helped her was Neurontin, it is nerve pain and damage, the heaviest painkillers did not phase this mess for her.

Sorry for your troubles.

Had them a couple of months back. Right side, just below my chest.
Doc at ER says, "you have shingles. I'm sorry."
I say, "you say that like I have six months to live. "
He says, "you will think so. For about a week."
I am 47. Hurt like hell, but didn't miss any work.
Edited by Mechanic_X

Man, I don't know what to say except so sorry! I here ya!

My mother, God bless her departed soul got them really bad also on her stomach. She and her doctors never could find a medication that helped very much.

She had major heart surgery and never complained once about her chest or anything, just them shingles. Evidently even all the pain medication she had in her system from the heart surgery didn't phase those shingles. She had them probably three continuous years before she passed away.

Wishing you a speedy recovery! I have seen something new they are advertising on TV for shingles but for the life of me I can't recall its name?

Guest Field Boss

I had them when I was about 55 on the right side below the belt line on the back side and back around the belt line on the front side. Felt like a diaper rash that turned into a bad case of the red ass.

I was told (Again), less than two weeks ago that I cannot get the shot until I am 60.

Well, FDA approved it back in 2011 for people 50 and up.

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/QuestionsaboutVaccines/UCM070418

Dunno how you go about getting it if your doctor won't give it to you, though. I went to CVS schedule appointment page, put in my age as 51, and the shingles inoculation wasn't an option.

Seems absurd to me that folks over 50 who actually get shingles can't automatically get the frigging vaccine if they choose.

- OS