Do you carry with a round in the chamber?

Do you carry with a round in the chamber?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Do you carry with a round in the chamber?

• Yes
    • No

• Administrator

Back on topic... I carry all of my weapons with a round in the chamber. I store all of my weapons loaded. When I took the CIS Defensive Pistol class a few months ago, there was an incident where I had loaded up my mags but forgot to chamber a round before a drill. Total and complete brain fart.

When I drew and *clicked* the sound of silence was more deafening than any muzzle report. As Todd accurately put it, I was carrying the "Dead Man's Gun".

It was just a drill and just a training class, but it reminded me in no uncertain terms why I prefer to carry with one in the chamber. Because when the situation grows hair and you're relying on muscle memory to save your ass, you don't want to hear a CLICK instead of a BOOM.

Just my opinion. Others will undoubtedly vary.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

Now I'm scared of my Glock. I put it away and bought a sunflower and a lollipop. I wear an Aids Awareness shirt with my pink spandex biker shorts and blow kisses at everyone I meet so they won't **** with me. Thanks TGO.

I'm still waiting for those voting no to explain why...there are ten of you now, surely one will let us in on why you prefer that.

I assume safety. I'm guessing they are concerned about getting their finger or retention strap, or whatever, inadvertently on the trigger and it going off.

Guest Mugster
I assume safety. I'm guessing they are concerned about getting their finger or retention strap, or whatever, inadvertently on the trigger and it going off.

Yeah that, or they just don't see a current threat...we're not living in a combat zone. Its so tame around here I get bored to tears and have to race dirtbikes to keep my mind from going numb.

Plus, not everyone on these forums has a permit to actually carry a loaded handgun.

Guest Mugster
If you are carrying it on your person without a license, it doesn't matter if it's loaded.

You can legally carry an unloaded firearm including long guns, as far as I know, with no permit or any other paperwork. There might be a question if there's ammo close by under "intent to go armed". Or they have a "brandishing law" I think.

But, if I wanted to, I should be able to walk to a gunshop, buy anything I can legally buy including ammo, and walk home with it. Might be pretty stupid considering the political craziness surrounding guns, but its legal.

You can legally carry an unloaded firearm including long guns, as far as I know, with no permit or any other paperwork. There might be a question if there's ammo close by under "intent to go armed". Or they have a "brandishing law" I think.

But, if I wanted to, I should be able to walk to a gunshop, buy anything I can legally buy including ammo, and walk home with it. Might be pretty stupid considering the political craziness surrounding guns, but its legal.

Just depends on how you carry the weapon and the ammo....

39-17-1308 Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon.

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(1)
Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon;

39-17-1301 Part definitions.

(15)
“Unloaded†means the rifle, shotgun or handgun does not have ammunition in the chamber, cylinder, clip or magazine, and no clip or magazine is in the immediate vicinity of the weapon.

So you can't have the weapon concealed or the ammo in the immediate vicinty of you or the weapon.

It would seem if you are walking....you are going to have to make two trips, one with the weapon, the other with the ammo.

Guest Mugster
Just depends on how you carry the weapon and the ammo....

So you can't have the weapon concealed or the ammo in the immediate vicinty of you or the weapon.

It would seem if you are walking....you are going to have to make two trips, one with the weapon, the other with the ammo.

I tend to agree. But I don't like it much.

In am emergency situation there is too much stress to try and remember to rack the slide. The first round needs to be on its way ASAP or your dead meat.

I will argue that the same concept applies to thumb safeties. Even well trained professionals have forgotten to disable that safety with adrenalin flow.

My brother is in the military. He works in some kind of medical logistics with the Navy. Last time we were at our parents' house I told him I carried and showed him my pistol. When I advised him there was a round in the chamber he said, "You carry in condition one?" I had never heard of "condition one" and said yeah, whatever that means. He suggested I not carry like that and he also suggested, inexplicably, that I carry just eight rounds in my 10-round magazine. He'll always be my brother, but I thought this was just a little strange.

Actually I'm not sure what condition I carry in. I have an M&P with one in the chamber, no safety. Is that one, or zero, or what?

That is just Navy doctrine. Some of the folks they issue weapons to do not get a great deal of training or range time. I spent 20 in the Coast Guard and we always carried with one in the chamber safety on. My wife is Navy Military Police and she says they carry with round in the chamber also.

ambi safety

always in Condition 1

The safety is a learned response. I guess the same can be said for racking the slide but flicking the safety off while aligning the sights is MUCH quicker than loading the 1st round.

The safety is a learned response.

...that sometimes goes away during adrenalin flow. Lots of dead folks who somehow couldn't instinctively remember the "learned response" to remove the safety while they were under attack.

There's always one in there, but I can't carry in condition 1. Beretta 92FS Police with decocker.

No safety, but you can always do DA, unlike a lot of guns. Plus if you cock the hammer, you are just like a Glock. Basically, you are like a H&K USP variant 3. That's a good thing to be.

Edited by Marswolf