Joe Carr to run against Democrat incumbent Lamar Alexander...

• Moderators

C'mon...Lamar will win big.

The last TN Senator to lose reelection bid in primary was Ross Bass in 1968, and the last to actually lose in the general was Sasser in '96. Both Dems.

Matter of fact the only Republican to ever lose reelection seems to have been Bill Brock in '78, in the general. Lamar ain't gonna be the first to lose the primary or the second to lose the general.

- OS

I don't really disagree much with your prediction. I too expect the RINO to be returned. My point was that nationwide there has been a growing trend of successful primary challenges and unless he wants to be next, he has to take this challenge seriously. If he does treat the primary challenge as an actual threat, he should be able to keep his seat. If he arrogantly blows it off, then that is where the opportunity to unseat comes in.
Guest Bassman17SC

I don't know for a fact, but I'll bet Ted Cruz didn't outspend Kay Bailey Hutchinson, in Texas. He had the people paying attention, for

a change, and he was worth it. Character does absolutely matter.

Hutchinson spent far more $$ than Cruz.  The GOP establishment backed Hutchinson.  Senator Cruz won the seat by going straight to the people.  Sarah Palin's endorsement helped a little bit, too, IMHO.  I am hoping that the Tea Party can get her down here to speak on behalf of Rep. Carr.

Guest Bassman17SC

I don't really disagree much with your prediction. I too expect the RINO to be returned. My point was that nationwide there has been a growing trend of successful primary challenges and unless he wants to be next, he has to take this challenge seriously. If he does treat the primary challenge as an actual threat, he should be able to keep his seat. If he arrogantly blows it off, then that is where the opportunity to unseat comes in.

O ye of little faith.  It IS an uphill battle.  But do you not remember the large number of freshman Tea Party reps in the House from 2010?  Yes, I know it is vastly different than the Senate, but i still am optimistic.

Edited by Bassman17SC
Guest 6.8 AR

Well, if I hired you to help me defeat a candidate you didn't like, but then I decided to run for a different seat and upset a candidate you actually liked better than me, are you a pimp for ducking out, or just following your principles? 

I can see it as a breach of contract on Carr's part as much as anything else.

- OS

Maybe that is the case, but I was only asking whether that is the case, or not, Mac. I don't know whether it is principle or the other.

The idea that he was on Carr's team for one thing, then changing when he goes against Lamar kind of stretches my mind a bit.

All I do know is I don't like Lamar's political machine and he needs to go. The Republican Party of Tennessee is misrepresenting

the people of this state. You know I'm a disgruntled Republican. :D

Guest 6.8 AR

O ye of little faith.  It IS an uphill battle.  But do you not remember the large number of freshman Tea Party reps in the House from 2010?  Yes, I know it is vastly different than the Senate, but i still am optimistic.

I'm not necessarily optimistic, but I do see when people really need to be engaged in the process, rather than sitting on the sidelines.It beats the Hell out of ending up using other means to straighten out the mess.

Is nothing worth fighting for, other than using stones, or guns?

Edited by 6.8 AR
Guest patriot54

I don't really care if the odds are 1:100 in Lamar's favor, I won't vote for a RINO.  This is not just about Tennessee.  The Republican party no longer represents we the people; not that they ever really did.  They and the traditional media are controled by large corporations, bankers and special interest; as are the Democrates.  The two parties use the social issues as a diversion to divide.  The progressive's social experiement that started with Lincoln has failed, but they continue their relentless march toward total control.  There does appear to be an awakening of the citizens as to what is going down, but we need to turn the ship around before those living off the government (excluding retirees) out number the working class.

Mark

Well for what my 2 cents is worth, I will vote for Carr even though I know nothing about him because Lamar has been a disappointment for sure but about 8 months ago he really made a bunch of fishermen and women very happy when he backed the Corps down on their plans to stop the fishing below all the dams and made the corps remove their restrictions they had put in play. As many of us know many folks that fish also hunt and also have CCW permits. I'm one of them but don't fish as much anymore. By his backing the Corps down and regaining all those fishing waters that many fishing Guides use that is going to swing a lot of votes to him........JMHO. As far as Corker, he speaks with forked tongue on so many issues you never know what to believe with him.........JMHO and foot not to this thread is the title reads Democrat incumbent Lamar Alexander. I think Alexander is a republican (almost) 

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

I don't really care if the odds are 1:100 in Lamar's favor, I won't vote for a RINO.  This is not just about Tennessee.  The Republican party no longer represents we the people; not that they ever really did.  They and the traditional media are controled by large corporations, bankers and special interest; as are the Democrates.  The two parties use the social issues as a diversion to divide.  The progressive's social experiement that started with Lincoln has failed, but they continue their relentless march toward total control.  There does appear to be an awakening of the citizens as to what is going down, but we need to turn the ship around before those living off the government (excluding retirees) out number the working class.

Mark

Well, get the troops all on board on your side of the state. We will need all the help we can muster. Talk it up and awaken

thousands more. I appreciate any and all support. So do many others.

..but about 8 months ago he really made a bunch of fishermen and women very happy when he backed the Corps down on their plans to stop the fishing below all the dams and made the corps remove their restrictions they had put in play.

The "Freedom to Fish Act" is a two year moratorium on actions the COE was implementing on the Cumberland River Basin  -- it's not permanent, so this issue is not necessarily a done deal, btw.

- OS

C'mon...Lamar will win big.

- OS

Maggart had all the same backing, so it COULD be done.  And remember, Cruz beat the same odds in Texas.

Once his real voting record gets out, it will look different.  We saw a poll today that shows once the facts are put to the average TN voter, Alexander only pulls 24%.  That is about the true very liberal Republicans in the State. Of course we have to beat the Democrats as well, as they all love, and will vote for, Lamar. Our spineless Super-majority will not close the primaries for this very reason, they need Democrats to keep their liberals in office.

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 2

The "Freedom to Fish Act" is a two year moratorium on actions the COE was implementing on the Cumberland River Basin -- it's not permanent, so this issue is not necessarily a done deal, btw.

- OS

Funny how its long enough to get him past the next election. I think all the fishermen that are getting their noses stained brown over this are foolish to think that, if reelected "good ole Lamar" will go at this issue with the same tenacity the next time it's back up for debate. It would surprise me none to little if he just looked around and pretended the issue and voters didn't even exist.

I don't know much about the Freedom to Fish Act. Did the Corp act within any existing law to make their action legitimate?

Or did they just come up with some crap regulation without backing? It might be that the Freedom to Fish thing was a throw

at nothing just to make him look good.

You know? There are a lot of regulations that the EPA does and is doing that have no backing by legislation, like the coal

plant dumping that is raising electricity rates.

Ralph talked to Joe Carr this morning and also mentioned that Kevin K. has suspended his campaign. I think I heard him mention that State Sen. Mike Bell is considering a run against Laloser? Can't seem to find anything about it on the intranet though.

The biggest problem is that there is likely not going to be anything interesting for democrats to vote on during the primary so they will all switch over and put Lalooser over the top after we split our vote among the other candidates.

I've been polled twice over the past two weeks on this race. I don't think they can take into consideration this switch over voting. .... you could call this the Haslam effect.
  • Like 1

That's always a possibility, but if the dems don't have much to vote for in the primary, more than likely they wouldn't show up.

Now, if they had a dem candidate to play on the rep side, maybe. I doubt there would be much solidarity for Lamar on the left

side.

I find myself completely unimpressed by the Alexander ads.  First there's the fishing ad.  Is that really his crowning achievement?!  As a Tennessean I find this embarrassing, especially with all the vastly more important issues we've been facing the past few years.  Now there's his ad about Obamacare.  So he told Obama that premiums would go up.  Yeah well, he's not exactly Nostradamus.  Anyone who isn't a low info voter knew not to buy Obama's b.s. on that one.  And this leads me back to the "Nobody wants to say no to Lamar Alexander" line from the fishing ad.  If that's true, if the senior statesman holds so much sway, why did he fail so spectacularly to convince his fellow Senators to vote against Obamacare.  It is the law of the land after all.  Blech!

• Like 1

The biggest problem is that there is likely not going to be anything interesting for democrats to vote on during the primary so they will all switch over and put Lalooser over the top after we split our vote among the other candidates.

I've been polled twice over the past two weeks on this race. I don't think they can take into consideration this switch over voting. .... you could call this the Haslam effect.

If the cowards in charge of the Republican Party in TN would close the Primaries as most States do, we could cure this problem.  As it is, we will never have a true Conservative in the Governors Mansion, or, as our federal Senator again, unless Putin strikes Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis over this Syria thing...

• Like 3

If the cowards in charge of the Republican Party in TN would close the Primaries as most States do, we could cure this problem.  As it is, we will never have a true Conservative in the Governors Mansion, or, as our federal Senator again, unless Putin strikes Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis over this Syria thing...

amen brother! The republican establishment in charge in TN is a huge problem. It needs to be cleaned out from the top on down.

Well at the present time Haslam is tied up in his own issues to really worry about Lamar's problems. He has been caught in a few scams that implement that he is trying to lie his way out of and it has got a bunch of folks upset because it cost many folks their jobs and if folks get any madder at Haslam and he steps up and speaks up for Lamar the only thing he would do right now is hurt Lamar which would be a good thing..............jmho

I did a show for Lamar when he became governor. He had a dinner for all the people who let him stay in their homes when he walked across the state. Minnie Pearl was there. I was a member of the Clown Company of Columbia Tennessee and was a comedic juggler. We did a Vaudeville show for them.

I did a show for Lamar when he became governor. He had a dinner for all the people who let him stay in their homes when he walked across the state. Minnie Pearl was there. I was a member of the Clown Company of Columbia Tennessee and was a comedic juggler. We did a Vaudeville show for them.

I followed Lamar around for a year off and on with a fancy AV show when he was prez of UT. Absentee prez mostly. Running around stumping for GOP basically, while pissing off the Dem legislature and governor in Nashville. If you remember the fiasco about how he became UT prez, it was painfully obvious it was only "the best job he could get for a while". Hell, they still lived in Nashville the first year,  the joke (mostly true) was that they finally had to tie up Honey and throw her off the moving van here.

When budget shortfalls hit, the boys in the backrooms hit UT's budget hard mainly just because of all that, when normally they would not have touched it no matter what. The previous percentage level of state funding never returned after that, that's Lamar's legacy to UT.

Lots of other dirt during his brief stint at the UT reins, and he might have been called out on them, but they let it all slide when he got his "next better job" as Bush's Secretary of Education, which was quite the irony, Peter Principle personified.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1