Syria: Does Use of Chemical Weapons Change Anything?

Syria: Does Use of Chemical Weapons Change Anything?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How Should the US Respond to Mass Murder with Chemical Weapons

• Direct Military Intervention? (Such as boots on the ground or airstrikes)
    • Indirect Military Intervention? (Training and Equiping Rebels; Tomahawk Strikes)
    • No Intervention? (Let 'em sort it out on their own)

I'm gonna dip into fantasyland on this one but wouldn't it be nice if O called a press conference and said something along the lines of "Upon a closer examination of the situation is Syria we have no national interest in either side winning. Both sides suck and on top of that, the American people want absolutely no part of this Charlie Foxtrot. Taking all that into account we have decided that, Syria, this is your mess, you figure it out. I'm late for golf."

Looks like that may happen:

http://news.yahoo.com/on-syria--obama-says-eyeing-%E2%80%98shot-across-the-bow%E2%80%99-222156121.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10272555/Cameron-backs-down-on-urgent-Syria-strikes.html

UK is backing away; France has changed their language to "diplomatic talks".  I'm thinking a combination of domestic opposition against intervention and the Russians posturing.

• Like 1

Done:

http://news.yahoo.com/russia-sending-warships-mediterranean-report-082257880.html

This may or may not have influenced the recent 180 in Obama's rhetoric, but the message is clear.

Ain't done yet. Putin is fixin' to grab Barry by the ears. From CNN...

Russia has called for a closed-door U.N. Security Council meeting at 2:30 p.m. ET, a Western diplomat tells CNN.

• Like 2

Here is one of the ends that could come of all this.

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/57454

World War III will begin in Syria, and no one on the planet (and Americans in particular) will be left untouched by what is about to take place. This has been planned for some time, and we are now seeing it happen right in front of us.” Those are the words of a trusted source with deep ties to the intelligence community, before providing more insight into what we might expect as this ‘crisis’ escalates and “Syria explodes.”

“Think about it. The anti-Assad ‘rebels’ are losing, they’re in retreat, because the exposure to the arms and weapons running from Benghazi caused the architects of this conflict to lay low for awhile. That gave us some time, but it did not change their objective of overthrowing Assad and taking Syria for the Muslim Brotherhood. The anti-Assad rebels cannot survive without Western assistance. Considering that, what sense would it make for Assad to use chemical weapons, especially as international observers were getting in position to investigate the situation, against rebels in retreat? It makes no sense, unless you understand the larger objective and the ‘big picture.’”

“This is all about the conversion of world’s economic trading mechanism from a U.S. dollar based system to a SDR. The Middle East and Syria is merely the catalyst for is implementation. The ‘flash-bang’ of the magic act. And once this catalytic action is started, we cannot go back. War in the Middle East and particularly Syria is the catalyst that will disrupt transactions and commerce all over the world. And few will see it coming, or know what hit them.”

It is not a long read, it has had me thinking all day.

Meh, every few months something comes along that is supposed to trigger WW3. I even got to participate in a couple of those wars. I don't see anything happening here of significance, especially now that all the western powers are back peddling, and Obama seems to be accepting his empty promises regarding his "red line". The rebels don't need our help to stay afloat. Insurgencies aren't lost on the battlefield. They're lost in the hearts and minds of the supporters. The rebels can keep this going for years to come, and it looks like they will. Things will only settle down once folks get their fill of blood and the two sides come to some sort of agreement to coexist. Like all Arab conflicts, the tension will always remain and it will flare up every few decades to remind people how much they dislike seeing everyone around them die. Rinse and repeat. It has been the history of the Arab world back before they were bowing to the moon god. I don't see it changing in my lifetime. Edited by TMF
  • Like 4

Meh, every few months something comes along that is supposed to trigger WW3. I even got to participate in a couple of those wars. I don't see anything happening here of significance, especially now that all the western powers are back peddling, and Obama seems to be accepting his empty promises regarding his "red line".The rebels don't need our help to stay afloat. Insurgencies aren't lost in the on the battlefield. They're lost in the hearts and minds of the supporters. The rebels can keep this going for years to come, and it looks like they will. Things will only settle down once folks get their fill of blood and the two sides come to some sort of agreement to coexist. Like all Arab conflicts, the tension will always remain and it will flare up every few decades to remind people how much they dislike seeing everyone around them die. Rinse and repeat. It has been the history of the Arab world back before they were bowing to the moon god. I don't see it changing in my lifetime.

Rinse and repeat , I love it !
  • Like 1

British Parliament just voted down an attack on Syria. Looks like King Big Ears is on his own. I figure he'll be wiping the gravy off his face for a few days.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/29/world/europe/syria-civil-war/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

It sounds to me like he's done. They're gonna need something to distract from this distraction. Obama is probably on call in the Oval Office right now, waiting for a white guy to kill a black guy.
  • Like 2

From a New York Times interview with then Senator Obama, November 2007:

"I would meet directly with Syrian leaders. We would engage in a level of aggressive personal diplomacy in which a whole host of issues are on the table…but right now the only incentive that exists is our president suggesting that if you do what we tell you, we may not blow you up. My belief about the regional powers in the Middle East is that they don’t respond well to that kind of bluster. They haven’t in the past, there’s no reason to think they will in the future."  (bold emphasis mine)

He could have a face to face with Assad in Tehran...

Guest 6.8 AR

Ain't done yet. Putin is fixin' to grab Barry by the ears. From CNN...

Russia has called for a closed-door U.N. Security Council meeting at 2:30 p.m. ET, a Western diplomat tells CNN.

That's funny, Mike. My wife and I were talking about this and she said she would just grab him by his ears and sit him in

the corner. We were talking about our kids when they were little, about the same time. I added putting concertina wire

around him, first.

Obama's red line was crossed too long ago and his indecision has given Syria time to prepare for anything we might throw at them. Best thing O can do is wipe the s___ off his face and forget about Syria. This is a no win situation for the US and we have no interest that would require us to become involved. The repercussions from us attacking would far outweigh the result. Obama has lost all credibility the US had in the world and we do not have a dog in this hunt. We cannot go this alone and Britain and France are no longer players. 

It is always a travesty when civilians are killed in a war, but war is hell and we cannot continue to be the world's policeman especially when our assistance is not wanted and sequester has stripped our military's ability dramatically. The Egyptian's are already talking about closing the Suez Canal which will drive oil prices through the roof. Israel will be attacked by Hezbollah and Iran in retaliation and they will respond  which will further escalate the situation to a full scale war.

As I stated earlier, this is a Muslim thing and let them destroy each other without our nose being stuck in the middle. At some point we will have to deal with them, but I hope we will have a commander in chief that has a spine and the ability to make good decisions.   

Obama's red line was crossed too long ago and his indecision has given Syria time to prepare for anything we might throw at them. Best thing O can do is wipe the s___ off his face and forget about Syria.

He just can't do it, ego won't allow it now. It doesn't much matter what the real objective is anymore, except BHO having to show his hard dick now that he's opened his loose mouth over and over.

And of course now that BHO has basically told the objective what we'll do, what we won't do, when we'll do it, how long we'll do it, and even what we'll use, it's obviously symbolic now. Except it'll of course kill a bunch of civilians, for just that much more propaganda and hatred from the entire Muslim world.

- OS

He just can't do it, ego won't allow it now. It doesn't much matter what the real objective is anymore, except BHO having to show his hard dick now that he's opened his loose mouth over and over.

And of course now that BHO has basically told the objective what we'll do, what we won't do, when we'll do it, how long we'll do it, and even what we'll use, it's obviously symbolic now. Except it'll of course kill a bunch of civilians, for just that much more propaganda and hatred from the entire Muslim world.

- OS

I don't see how he could get away with it now. Even the most slanted polls puts public support at 50%, but realistically that number is waaaaaaay lower than that. The Dems would take a big hit for this next year (which would be a good thing), but once we strike Syria the second and third order effects are probably not worth it. Seems to me like he's back peddling.
  • Like 1
Guest Bassman17SC

There is no "good" side to take in that contest, who would we be helping?

^^^THIS^^^

On the one hand you have evil; on the other hand, you have evil.  

The problem is the Administration most likely has not figured out exactly who the perps were that used the chemical weapons. And if they do know, then one of the reasons could be for quick Syrian intervention is that they do not want anyone to see the "Made in Iraq" stickers on the weapons.  Yes, the tinfoil hat made me post this part.

Guest 6.8 AR

I don't see how he could get away with it now. Even the most slanted polls puts public support at 50%, but realistically that number is waaaaaaay lower than that. The Dems would take a big hit for this next year (which would be a good thing), but once we strike Syria the second and third order effects are probably not worth it. Seems to me like he's back peddling.

Narcissism is a much more dangerous drug than meth. History is stuffed full of people like Obama. Besides, this may be what

he wanted all along. He isn't one for sticking his finger in the wind. It stays in that lower orifice too much. I'm only wondering if

this is his opportunity, or someone else's, like a puppet master. I don't think he is this smart, but he sure has shown he doesn't

give a damn about this country or it's people. How can anyone trust a single person in his administration? They are all clueless,

or driven by something completely wrong.

Guest 6.8 AR

^^^THIS^^^

On the one hand you have evil; on the other hand, you have evil.  

The problem is the Administration most likely has not figured out exactly who the perps were that used the chemical weapons. And if they do know, then one of the reasons could be for quick Syrian intervention is that they do not want anyone to see the "Made in Iraq" stickers on the weapons.  Yes, the tinfoil hat made me post this part.

Who cares who used them? They are a weapon of war, only measured and determined to be WMD's by their lethality. We have them, also, I'm sure. When they are threatening on our soil is where and when we should be doing something about them. You can kill with many things. The degree of death is not the problem, but the men who use them.

If they want to kill each other off, so be it. Just leave us alone. They want us over there in the middle of it so they can fight us. Just an excuse to further their cause against the Great Satan of Israel and the United States.

The Arab Spring was a consolidation of muslim interests in the region to go after Israel. Their next enemy in line is us. This is a religious war.

It is our foreign policy and doctrine that is dragging us into this stuff.

Edited by 6.8 AR

I just wonder if our Government will ever get the memo that American People sent them. I think it read Please quit sticky our Government nose in other Governments Business. If they did, they didn't understand it. They didn't learn in Korea, They didn't learn in Vietnam, they didn't learn in Afghanistan the first time, They didn't learn in Operation Desert Storm, They didn't learn in Afghanistan the second time nor in Iraq and yet now we have another administration wanting to repeat all our past blunders again. There is no such thing as a limited response in war and once you fire that first missile your involved. You possibly make new instantly friends and surely you make new enemies at the same time. At the present time this administration has many issues that pertain to this country that need fixing well before we get involved in trying to fix a country's problem 1/2 way around the world from us. Also maybe someday someone might tell me at what point did any of our administrations decide we needed to warn an enemy 2 to 6 month ahead of time when, where and how we planned to strike. Did Japan warn us at Pearl Harbor? I think not and their strike was about 99.5 % effective. Strike first and explain later has always seemed to work quit well.  This is all JMHO 

I think our government did get the memo.  Both Dems and Reps are running and hiding over this thing.  Doesn't seem like they want to touch this with a 10 ft pole.  Obama and Kerry seem to be the only people that keep deleting the memo out of their inbox. 

If it wasn't so sad to watch our country become the laughing stock of the world again, I would find this whole monkeyscrew to be very entertaining.

Well, Hussein's purple throbber turned into limp noodle overnight.

"I have the authority" has changed overnight to "I'll ask Congress". In another two weeks or so.

This man's fecklessness never ceases to amaze me. I guess Valerie Jarrett changed her mind.

- OS