Free Puppies to Good homes

Smith

• 2 weeks later...
Bandit has done so well with our care, and the vet was very impressed with what we have done for her given her history. She is normal weight, with great behavior.

We have been feeding her on Authority (Petsmart house brand all natural no filler) puppy food. We had been cutting it with some pouched Pedigree to soften it, but we have been weening that out over the last week or so. Today she got her wellness check up, and started on so many treatments that I am sure she feels like a lab rat. Three vaccinations, flea treatment, heartworm treatment, all the other worms, Giardia  testing, fecal testing, etc... 

Freaking dogs are expensive. But Bandit is a happy and healthy puppy.

Bandit is spoiled, she has her own spot on the couch, her own spot in the truck and her own spot in each respective lap. She and Moeko have become passive aggressive housemates who eat one another's food (yes, we have caught each of them in each other's respective bowls, a dominance thing I am sure with the cat,) and we have had no violent outbreaks. Bandit is kenneled at night, but she has free roam of most of the house during the day.

I am firmly convinced she is gonna make a good dog. She is very playful, but even now she understands her place in the pack and is learning the basics, such as fetch and sit. I continue to be impressed with her intelligence.

Here she is with the heathen at the park a couple of days ago.
img_20130917_145419.jpg
  • 4 months later...
Bandit is nearly 6 months old.

We had her spayed at the first of the month.

She is still hell on wheels. She was 35 pounds on the 6th.

She has mastered verbal and visual commands for: 'sit,' 'paw,' 'kiss,' 'lay down,' 'stay,' 'fetch rope,' and 'fetch ball.'

We started about a month ago on the Frisbee, and from an even start she can catch it at 10 foot with no head start. With a head start and a launch off of something (couch, bench, etc..) she can catch it reliably 80% of the time.

Her other games are obviously fetch, tug-o-war and a new one we started that I call rope jump. I will hold her tug-o-war rope at shoulder height and she will jump to retrieve it. This is her favorite game, and relates to her 'fetch rope' visual cue, I hold my arm out at shoulder length. I have been using this to transition into the Frisbee.

The heathen is completely over her fear of dogs, and it is a nightly fight to keep her out of Bandit's kennel. As a matter of fact, after Bandit had her surgery earlier this month, Rebecca slept in the floor on a pallet next to her kennel for a week. Bandit thinks she is a lap dog at times, and has no problem cuddling with anyone who wants to sit on her couch. She even loves the cat, who fails to return all of that boisterous love. Even now, at her size, she thinks the back of the couch is her spot.

Bandit is house broken and car broken. She LOVES car rides. She is friendly if shy around other dogs but after a few minutes she is more than willing to play.

The only problem has been barking, but as the wife encourages it, I have resolved to praise her for barking at shadows at night. I am not thrilled about this, but it comforts the wife to know that nothing will sneak up on her. Including the dreaded Kroger sack in the back yard. Her arch-nemesis...

Well and the chewing. We have lost to date a coffee table, three dining room tables and a computer desk. Pig ears? 3 minutes. Rawhide disks? 2 minutes. Monster rawhide bones? 15 minutes if she stops to play. The record so far goes to a pig femur. It took her an hour to have to tear it down to a 4" section and eat the knuckles. I am thinking of trying antlers, but I am loathe to pay $20+ and find out she can destroy one in a day.

Bandit is a great dog and has been a great asset to our family.

bandit_6_months.jpg
  • Like 3
Dogs are a great gift from God. Nice to see they all got homes. For dogs that love to chew, get some "bully sticks" from eBay. The extra thick large ones are about 12" long and 3/4" diameter. They are extremely tough, take hours or days to chew, and are fully digestible and healthy, unlike rawhide which can block your dog's digestive track and cause major health problems. They are not that cheap at about $1-$3 each after shipping but that is still pretty good compared to buying lower quality treats in local stores. And I guarantee your dog will LOVE them more than anything else in the pantry except maybe fresh steak or salmon on the grill... :rolleyes: Edited by wileecoyote

Dogs are a great gift from God. Nice to see they all got homes. For dogs that love to chew, get some "bully sticks" from eBay. The extra thick large ones are about 12" long and 3/4" diameter. They are extremely tough, take hours or days to chew, and are fully digestible and healthy, unlike rawhide which can block your dog's digestive track and cause major health problems. They are not that cheap at about $1-$3 each after shipping but that is still pretty good compared to buying lower quality treats in local stores.

I have seen the 'bully sticks' at Rural King, but they seem to be the smaller ones, they appear to be rolled up leather?

The wife suggested them this weekend but I was hesitant to pay $6 for what I was convinced would be a five minute toy.

That is why I like the pig ears, I give them to her as treats, one a day and they run $.79.

I really would like to find a $1 or thereabouts chew that lasts here at least a day. The pig femur has been the closest, but she lost interest after she ate the knuckles.

[quote name="Murgatroy" post="1099655" timestamp="1390448384"]I have seen the 'bully sticks' at Rural King, but they seem to be the smaller ones, they appear to be rolled up leather? The wife suggested them this weekend but I was hesitant to pay $6 for what I was convinced would be a five minute toy. That is why I like the pig ears, I give them to her as treats, one a day and they run $.79. I really would like to find a $1 or thereabouts chew that lasts here at least a day. The pig femur has been the closest, but she lost interest after she ate the knuckles.[/quote] Bully sticks are dehydrated bull penis and they are huge. The local stores are way too small and way overpriced. Once you see how long the large thick sticks last, and how much the dog loves them, and your vet confirms they are much healthier... It's a slam dunk. We get the huge sticks on ebay in bulk, much cheaper around $2-$3 for the biggest size, which can last up to a week for small dogs. My small dog likes them so much he takes it everywhere, outside... car rides... even to bed in his nest until it's all gone. Then he begs for another.. Also, most natural bones are at least somewhat risky because splinters, chips, and slivers can cause internal injuries. And rawhide is not digestible so it can jamb them up too. Ask your vet. We all want a cheap high quality treat that is healthy and lasts a long time, however there is no free lunch. Buying the large thick bully sticks in bulk from eBay is about the closest we've come, and they do last longer than nearly all of the unhealthy alternatives. Another tip: don't tell the women what bully sticks really are, or they will be grossed out. This is why they call them "bully sticks" and market accordingly. Edited by wileecoyote