Who has AT&T U-Verse

Volzfan

...and what do you think about it?

I've been with Comcast for probably 20 years but getting tired of the constant outages and high prices! I keep getting U-Verse ads in the mail and could probably cut my bill in half. I've got internet, TV and phone. 

What about the internet speed?

Need some help in pulling the trigger on dumping Comcast.

Any other options?

Guest TresOsos

I have it but just the highspeed internet and phone, I could careless about the TV trash part of it, really don't want that garbage in my home and i'm not spending my hard earned money on it. The HS internet is ok, not earth shattering but better than DSL, the phone service is standard AT&T reliable.

I love U-Verse. I had Comcast for years until they decided to improve it a few years ago. We went from having great service and an excellent guide to something that resembled 1980s cable. Comcast still has the better internet in my opinion and I'll probably switch back to their internet in the near future.
I know of a few friends that dumped Comcast for U-Verse, and every one has switched back. None of them were satisfied with the internet. A couple also complained about the way their outages work. From what I understand, if one of AT&T's services (cable, internet, phone) go out, everything goes out. I know one of them lost all service for 2 or 3 days. That's always kept me from switching. Edited by TripleDigitRide

We've had ATT DSL for about 5 years.  It's not super fast, but I don't game or anything that requires a lot of bandwidth so it works fine for me.  Pretty cheap too.  My only cable option is Charter, and I'll be damned if that company gets another dime of my money. 

We've got it, and love it. For those of you that didn't like the Internet speed, do you know what package you had/have? If I remember right, different packages come with slightly different speeds....don't quote me on that, I'm not a "tech" type person, my better half handles that business Edited by KKing

Well I am on broad band with my cell phone company and I am looking to change because my signal won't hold and I am getting booted alot. I spoke with them about maybe the broad band unit on my puter is having issues but they swear it's fine. It maybe fine to them but sucks to me so I'm shopping for anything better that won't break the bank and fast speed it not all that important because my broad band ain't all that fast.

We got their Internet service about six months ago. Dumped comcast and cable altogether, just not worth it to watch as little as we do. Have the fastest speed AT&T offers and got a great deal for $30 a month because they pissed my wife off. It's been great! Best decision we made with switching.

I have and love it too. The U-Verse doesn't offer Internet speeds as fast as Comcast but I don't need it. Internet for me is almost completely used for work. My son plays games and my wife does things like Pinterest so our demands really aren't that great. You do need to find out how far you are from their equipment though, because your distance from the DSLAM or whatever it is effect the bandwidth you can receive. Also, one annoying thing that I have found is that if you have too many programs set to record and are watching something, rather than give you a warning 5 minutes out like DirecTV does, it just cuts off the programming and you have to go manually change the record settings. That may be configurable but I haven't looked for it as it's only happened to me twice.

Other than that I like the DVRs where you can watch your show from any TV, the guide is super fast, at least compared to DirecTV, which I found to be frustratingly slow. They also have a smartphone app so you can set shows to record when somebody mentions it at work or whatever I have used that dozens of times, if not more. All in all, I am happy as all get out that I made the switch. I won't be going back any time soon. 

I tried to switch to U-Verse earlier this year for TV only - from DirectV. My neighbor had U-Verse and was very pleased, he had also switched.
It took them 3 weeks to verify they could run service to my house, they finally scheduled the install and then kept postponing - waited 8 weeks total, 5 after placing the order.
Tech came out, worked for 2 hours and then called an engineer who worked for an hour. They then came and told me my house was unserviceable, I was too far away from the main box to get a good signal.
If my house was 30 feet to either side, or 200 yards further back from the main box (my other neighbor with UVerse) they could have hooked me up. But supposedly my house was too far away from the road and box...

All of that BS aside, if they called me back tomorrow and said they could deliver service I would take it. Same price as DirecTV with more channels and features and more reliable (satellite goes out every time a cloud is in the sky it seems). I have compared Charter (Comcast is not available) and they are way overpriced, like double for the same features.

I tried to switch to U-Verse earlier this year for TV only - from DirectV. My neighbor had U-Verse and was very pleased, he had also switched.
It took them 3 weeks to verify they could run service to my house, they finally scheduled the install and then kept postponing - waited 8 weeks total, 5 after placing the order.
Tech came out, worked for 2 hours and then called an engineer who worked for an hour. They then came and told me my house was unserviceable, I was too far away from the main box to get a good signal.
If my house was 30 feet to either side, or 200 yards further back from the main box (my other neighbor with UVerse) they could have hooked me up. But supposedly my house was too far away from the road and box...

All of that BS aside, if they called me back tomorrow and said they could deliver service I would take it. Same price as DirecTV with more channels and features and more reliable (satellite goes out every time a cloud is in the sky it seems). I have compared Charter (Comcast is not available) and they are way overpriced, like double for the same features.

I'm only about 7 or 8 miles from downtown Nashville so maybe that wouldn't be a problem.

Follow up question:

I've been with Comcast for around 20 years and had the same email the whole time. How big of a problem will it be to change over that considering everyone I've ever down business with online uses that address? Should I switch to another now like a gmail or something else? Which one? I have a gmail account but haven't used it enough to be familiar with it. Can I transfer my Comcast address book to gmail?

Can you tell I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to puters???

U verse sucks, the boxes aren't reliable,flake out, and if you go u verse, and get tired of it,att wont let you go back to simple dsl.they want you to have u verse and thats it. ATT will figure a way to add crap to your bill and disguise as some type of regulatory fee. make believe ATT is like the plague, and you'll always be happy.

ez way to deal w all of it is go w clear wireless for wireless net, get netflix chromebox etc less than 100.00 per month add digital cable for an addl one time 50 bucks for a digital antenna.

We have the Internet and it is constantly going out. We were told that we are actually past the point of reliability on the lines so there is not much they can do about it. I was going to switch but since they came out and put 2 more ground wires on it I seem to get less outages. When it is working it is very fast for the cost. I would first see how far you are from a sub station and if they say you are close enough than you will probably be fine. When the tech comes out ask a lot of questions about propper grounding and noise on the lines, plus double check with him if HE thinks you are to far from the sub station. The techs are way nicer and more knowledgable then the sales people and they get paid the same if they hook you up or not.

• Like 1
I have had U-Verse for almost 2 years and have been pleased. Customer service has always been good when I needed to use it. As luck would have it though, my house is the maximum distance away from where some connection is blablabla, anyways, it cuts out during thunderstorms which is annoying.
  • Like 1

I have had U-Verse for almost 2 years and have been pleased. Customer service has always been good when I needed to use it. As luck would have it though, my house is the maximum distance away from where some connection is blablabla, anyways, it cuts out during thunderstorms which is annoying.

Internet and TV?

I'm only about 7 or 8 miles from downtown Nashville so maybe that wouldn't be a problem.

Follow up question:

I've been with Comcast for around 20 years and had the same email the whole time. How big of a problem will it be to change over that considering everyone I've ever down business with online uses that address? Should I switch to another now like a gmail or something else? Which one? I have a gmail account but haven't used it enough to be familiar with it. Can I transfer my Comcast address book to gmail?

Can you tell I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to puters???

Changing an email address can be rather a PITA.  I do recommend you change it to something 'universal' like gmail.  Gmail is easy and my primary email account.  You should be able to set up your Comcast account to auto-forward to the new address.  You can send out an email from the old account to everyone to inform them of your new email account. You should also be able to export your contacts from one account to another.  All the data may not go and it will likely require some effort to make sure everything is right. 

Follow up question:

When I decided to leave Comcast (ended up going back) a few years ago, I realized what a mistake I had made by using my Comcast email as a primary account. I will never make that mistake again. As someone else suggested, get something like a Gmail account.

If I remember correctly, you have access to your Comcast email for a month or so after canceling your account. Before you cancel, set up another email account and export all of your contacts to the new email account. Start using your new account right away, and set it up so your Comcast emails are forwarded to the new account. The forwarding will only last until they shut off your access to the Comcast email account. 

I'm sure you've already thought about it, but you will need to update every account (bank, ebay, paypal, credit cards, bills, websites, etc) associated with the Comcast email. It was a pain.

• Like 1