Anyone familiar with pop up campers??

I am looking at getting a used pop up and have no idea what a good price would be. I went and looked at one yesterday but the owner and I couldn't meet on the price. The gentleman was asking $2500 for it (2001 Coleman) but it had a few things that didn't work.

I am looking at a 1991 Jayco now that the owner is asking $2250 for. It looks to have been WELL taken care of and is 100% functional. Am I correct in thinking that any of these pop ups in good shape no matter the age (within reason) aren't going to get much under $1700 in very good condition? I don't mind paying that I just don't want to overpay by a lot if I don't have to.

Well you went to a 10 year older camper to save $250. The value of the Coleman is more that that of the Jayco.  The main thing is what the problems are with the Coleman, and the cost of repairing them. Also how do the two compare on features? In the long run the Coleman will be worth more.

There were too many unknowns on the Coleman. The gas lines were mysteriously capped off. He didn't know if the water worked, didn't have it hooked up, fabric had more tears in it than was let on, etc. I am looking at the one mentioned above now in great shape or a 2000 palomino in good shape (with no title though) now. roughly around the same price. From what I was reading online the Jayco's are supposed to be better built but that's really what I am asking here haha. I didn't pass on the coleman to save $250 I just didn't think it was worth what he was asking and honestly was afraid to gamble on it. It did not have a title either.

Most pop ups are made with similar materials and appliances, though underlying build quality will vary.

Eg: wood vs steel for the dinette area, slide out pole supports that are attached, vs slid under mattress for storage (don't want to lose these!), lift system.

Oh, yeah, Lift System! Make sure it's solid! If it goes out on you, good luck. Many lift systems are warrantied for life, but usually to the original owner. Check if it's transferrable.

Roof! If it leaks, your experience will be terrible! We had an awful time with the canvas slide outs on our starcraft. They were poorly joined to the main body of the camper, as a resulf the edges of the slide outs always got wet during a good rain.

Besides the lift system and a solid roof, things that would determine pop up purchases for me in the future:

• Floorplan, Do you want a large/small/convertible dinette? Do you need a slide out for more space? A powder room/toilet? Closet space?
  • Does it come with AC? Heat? Ours didn't, we just opened up with a fan in the summer and had a small heater for the winter.
  • Does it have a retractable awning? Outdoor grill hookup/stand/etc? Mini Fridge?
  • Interior and or exterior cooler storage space that's accessible, but out of the way?
  • Conveniently mounted fire extinguisher

Theres my :2cents: , good luck!

While I have had some good memories using a popup I just couldn't see myself buying one. All the downsides of using a tent without any of the benefits of an RV. Hookup, load up, and setup is just too much of a PIA for a two day weekend. I remember closing one up in the looting down rain, we liked to have never got the musty smell out. If there is any room in budget and your tow vehicle is capable get a real travel trailer.

At the moment we just aren't ready to drop money for a nice travel trailer. We will at some point but for now we just want to break into camping as cheaply as we can. The in laws have one that we have been staying in when they go camping but we just want to have the ability to go whenever we want. We don't usually stay for more than 2-3 days. If I am in it for no more than $2000 I think it'd be worth it just to have SOMETHING.

A key factor now though is that we don't have the room to store a larger trailer. This will be going in my back yard and there is BARELY enough room to squeeze my truck and this trailer through the gates. The funny thing is for a couple thousand more you can get a really nice used 20 footer. I just don't have the room!

A key factor now though is that we don't have the room to store a larger trailer. This will be going in my back yard and there is BARELY enough room to squeeze my truck and this trailer through the gates. The funny thing is for a couple thousand more you can get a really nice used 20 footer. I just don't have the room!

You might look into some outdoor storage. I rent a pull-through space into which I can fit my 23 foot pontoon and a 20 foot trailer for a measley $35.00 / month.

+ 1 on the roof leaks. They're horrendously expensive to repair.

Not that I will go camping if it is under 50 deg but you will crack the windows if it is cold and you set up or take down when it is really cold also. I have seen a lot of guys put tarps over their popups when camping.
Guest TankerHC

I had an 01 Jayco. Solid as a rock. Didnt leak a drop. Slept 4 comfortably. The only problem I had with it was if those popups are not exactly level, the door wont close. They have to be exactly level. Other than that, not a single problem.

Although I will say while searching for my current trailer, I was noticing (And asking) in the lots where were all the popups? Seems most people are moving to those hard top popups with the electric roof lifts.

One thing, prices on popups up here must be high (And I do see they are, should have brought mine up here and sold it), I bought mine in MS, going rates for a used (Mine was 5 years old), Jayco in a private sale were 1000-1700 depending on which one. I got mine, 2 burner stove, fridge, slept four, for a 1200 bucks and sold it for a thousand.

Well you went to a 10 year older camper to save $250. The value of the Coleman is more that that of the Jayco.  The main thing is what the problems are with the Coleman, and the cost of repairing them. Also how do the two compare on features? In the long run the Coleman will be worth more.

have the owner give you some money off the deal enough to pay for the repairs , winter is jest around the corner it will be lots of them for sale soon .

Just an update. We did end up going with a 91 Jayco. Other than a few problems with the running lights and tail lights (some are broken and corroded) and some of the bungie cord that holds the tent tight we are really satisfied with it. The wife attacked the inside of it with a box of magic erasers and it looks like new! I am satisfied with the build of it as well. All of the wood underneath the two pullout beds as well as the floor is made of marine grade plywood and isn't showing any sign of decay. It's also pretty crazy how well the A/C works. 

Probably my biggest concern is the runoff from the A/C. Right now it just runs off of the roof whichever way you have the camper pitched. I haven't looked closely at the unit yet but I am thinking I can fashion some type of hose onto the drip pan so it doesn't run down the side of the camper. This unit does not have level indicators built in it so I just eyeballed it. I also does not have scissor jacks for leveling. It just has four stands that lock into different levels. I will probably just use a scissor jack to lift each corner to set the stands.

They are a little bit more time consuming to set up but I think we will be happy with until we have a place to store and the time to really utilize a larger travel trailer. Thanks for all the info!

I have a Pop-Up and a Fifth wheel.  The Pop-Up is for 2-3 day and solo trips, the fifth wheel for 2 weeks plus.  I can set up the entire campsite by myself in less than 45 minutes.  Two hours, if my wife is with me.

Leveling is very important.  A 24" to 30" carpenters level is essential equipment.  Running your fridge out of plumb may result in poor cooling and could damage the heating unit that turns the ammonia liquid to gas.  The easiest way to level your unit is with your tongue jack and one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuxdJyMU2RY

Level the trailer so the port rear corner is slightly low (use the port rear stabilizer for this).  This will cause your A/C discharge to run away from your camper.  Some folks use a clothespin to direct the flow/drip away from the canvas on the rear bed pull out.

Breaking down in the rain builds character.  Get out there and camp.  You will enjoy yourself.  I guarantee it.

• Like 1

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying but be aware that the wheels are part of the support structure. The camper is not supposed to be suspended by the corner stands.

If your corner stands are like mine, there should be a rod you insert and apply leverage to allow the stands to apply a little pressure to the ground. Ours never came with one but dropping them down by hand has always been good enough.

Yes TNguy you are correct. I did a little searching after posting that and found that the leveling is done by the wheels and the front jack. The stands are just for support. It makes sense now that I think about it haha.

I saw on another forum where a guy had made a leveling "ramp" out of a few pieces of wood. He just cut lengths of 1x6 progressively longer and angled the edges. You just back the wheel up on it until you get to the correct level you need. I may just build one of these. That leveling tool shown in the video would be easier but I just don't want to dump  alot of money into it on the front end.

Good deal.  My wife and I have wanted to get a pop-up for several years.  To me, anything bigger than that isn't camping anymore, its RV-ing.  Some folks seem to tow the whole house behind the truck. 

Other than money, our current excuse is we're waiting for the littlest one to get potty trained.  Somehow changing poopy diapers while camping just doesn't strike me as loads of fun.  (get it, loads?... :rofl:   ).  Every so often I get on craigslist and see what's out there.  Prices seems to vary tremendously for little apparent reason.  It's good to see you can get a decent one for a modest price.  What size box is it? 

Yes TNguy you are correct. I did a little searching after posting that and found that the leveling is done by the wheels and the front jack. The stands are just for support. It makes sense now that I think about it haha.

I saw on another forum where a guy had made a leveling "ramp" out of a few pieces of wood. He just cut lengths of 1x6 progressively longer and angled the edges. You just back the wheel up on it until you get to the correct level you need. I may just build one of these. That leveling tool shown in the video would be easier but I just don't want to dump  alot of money into it on the front end.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/zye1.jpg/]zye1.jpg[/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

I had one of these years ago with my first popup and hate that I let it go with it. We now have an '89 coleman that the wife and I LOVE! but really miss the ease of the bal leveler.