A little help from the Ladies,or guys Please.

Guest Rando

My wife has had her permit for some years now but will not carry on her person. She keeps it in her glove box 99.9 % of the time, she says it makes her purse to heavy and shes afraid our daughter might get to it. ( My daughter knows better I have spent to much time with her on the subject and she happens to be a darn good shot she will be 10 in Sept. ) I bought my wife a Taurus titanium 38 they dont get much lighter than that and she is an great shot as well but how do I get her to carry more. I suggested a purpose built purse only to hear they are to ugly. Do they make enough to choose from as I havent seen a whole lot myself even at the shows. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks all, Rando:popcorn:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a tough one. It's hard to make someone carry who's not really interested. By no means am I an expert on purses, but I thought most of them had a zippered pouch. Of course, some may be too small for a gun, but I'd start there.

If she's concerned about your daughter getting her hands on it, maybe she can take it out of the purse when she gets home.

Best of luck.

OK I guess this should have been put under the Women and shooting section wasnt thinking about that at the time .

Sorry, will not be offended if it is moved, Rando:screwy:

One thing about a woman, anyone really, you can't MAKE then do anything. This may turn out to be one of those battles you shouldn't pick. I am saying that as a husband, not as a HCP guy. Remember one thing...If mamma aint happy....noooobodies happy.

It sounds as if you have trained her to shoot, and explained to her all that needs to be explained about safety and the need to carry, she just doesn't want to for whatever reason..again, being a woman.

Sorry, I am not much help. sometimes you just have to nod n smile.

Guest superslacker

Things are probably different where you live, but in Memphis, all I have to do is show her the crime statistics, plus the news reports at least a couple of the violent crimes that took place every night. Also, the handgun classes that I have taken have presented VERY convincing information regarding crime.

That's a tough one. It's hard to make someone carry who's not really interested.
One thing about a woman, anyone really, you can't MAKE then do anything.

I agree with both of those.

Also, many people don’t carry all the time. It may not be that we don’t have any regard for our lives; but simply that we refuse to live our lives feeling that we must always be armed.

I agree with both of those.

Also, many people don’t carry all the time. It may not be that we don’t have any regard for our lives; but simply that we refuse to live our lives feeling that we must always be armed.

I refuse to not be armed, unless I absolutely cannot be per law. Then, I have other means.

My fiancee' doesn't carry everywhere and when she does she drops it in her purse alot, but she does have pepper spray and she's taken self-defense classes, as well as living with me. Due to being around myself, cop friends and range co-workers she understands that she always need to be on guard.

If your wife doesn't want to carry you can't make her. Hopefully, she never has an incident that changes her mind after it's too late...

Guest SUNTZU

You will find yourself on the couch for this, but maybe she'll start carrying. Have a friend of yours scare the crap out of her as she is exiting a store or leaving/entering your home. Other than that, start watching First 48 and shows like that together, and talk to her about how you hope she never finds herself in that situation. Maybe she'll make the decision to carry on her own.

Guest canynracer

Have her try a belly band...I would say NOT to carry in a purse....that is what the bad guys want...then they have her gun.

Still, if she must carry in a purse, cross shoulder strap would be the way to go. Galco has some good leather purses designed for it.

Have her try a belly band...I would say NOT to carry in a purse....that is what the bad guys want...then they have her gun.

Still, if she must carry in a purse, cross shoulder strap would be the way to go. Galco has some good leather purses designed for it.

IMO, the purse has its ups and downs--Michele was working in one of those nice neighborhoods that turn to ghetto after dark. I wasn't nuts about the purse, but she would walk out with her hand on the gun (inside the purse--gun pouch unzipped) and her head on a swivel. She did this in most parking lots. A lousy way to walk to your car, but a blond-headed female in Memphis needs to be careful. A holster is definitely preferred, but a purpose-made purse and some practice and forethought are better than a gun in the glovebox, IMO.

Guest Verbal Kint

I think carry purses are just a bad idea all around. But that's just my opinion, which happens to be shared by many.

Once my wife finishes her permit and wait, I'll make sure she gets an adequate holster that fits her well. Those purses won't be an option.

I think carry purses are just a bad idea all around. But that's just my opinion, which happens to be shared by many.

Once my wife finishes her permit and wait, I'll make sure she gets an adequate holster that fits her well. Those purses won't be an option.

I feel where you're coming from--we just weren't able to make it work. It's sometimes tougher for women to dress for concealed carry. If she does, then congrats--she'll be better off.

Guest canynracer

yep, I see both sides too...The way Deerslayer describes his wife and her "purse" carry..sounds like she has great sit awareness, so I dont see an issue with it. I am not sure that all would be that way.

BTW Deerslayer, I hear ya about the blonde thing, Amber's head is practically glowing blonde. She has the same awareness as Michelle...Also, Amber carries her purse cross shoulder.

I used to carry in my purse when I went out.......then my purse was stolen in the Walmart parking lot, with my gun in it. I had one of the expensive Taurus .38 full titanium's with a ported barrel....not anymore. Purse carry is definitely not the way to go. After that incident, I started carrying either in a belly band or in a fanny pack. The belly bands are very comfortable and they conceal your weapon soooooo well with just about any type of clothing on. They're absolutely perfect with a lightweight .38 snubbie....and not too bad with a subcompact auto, as long as it's not too heavy. I really like my fanny pack too.....I can carry my G27 with an extra mag (or two) and my wallet, cell phone, keys, and then I don't need to carry a purse at all.

A guy at my local gun shop (a U.S. Marshall) once told me that all a gun carried in a purse is good for is to add weight to the purse so you can knock your attacker over the head with it. I didn't take his advice at the time....I had to learn my lesson the hard way.