Buyer Beware!

Sidewinder

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this thread or not. If not, moderators please move to the correct category. I looked at all the other headings, but none seemed to be specific to this thread. So, as it has to do with the purchase of a handgun, I'll post it here.

Yesterday, 09-26-13, I purchased a Ruger MK lll Hunter (all stainless) from Academy Sports in Smyrna. The price was told to me, by Dillon, over the phone as $549  on 09-25-13. I asked him to put it on hold for me until Friday 09-27-13, he cleared it with someone, and agreed. Something just made me think I had better pick the gun up yesterday, 09-26-13, which I did. Upon arriving, I found out my "on hold" Ruger MK lll Hunter was on display! Fortunately, for me, no one had bought it.

With the rush of others waiting, I failed to notice the scope rail and screws was missing from my gun box. After this discovery, i called Academy and talked to Ferris. Time passed, and he told me he couldn't confirm that a scope rail and screws came with my gun. He said if I could produce something in writing, they would see what they could do.

After mentioning my situation on this site, some responded that their Ruger MK lll Hunters came with a scope rail and screws. With this information, I decided to call back to Academy and tell them what people were saying... hoping it would fulfill that written requirement. I got Dillon, the initial person I had spoken with initially. Dillon, very quickly, told me that my gun did not come with a scope rail and screws, due to their price. Apparently, they remove items such as scope rails, mags, or whatever, to make their price more competitive! I'm glad the Honda dealer didn't leave the rear seat out of my car, in order to be competitive!

Bottom line... by the time a scope rail is purchased, and shipped, I'll be back to what others are selling the gun for! So much for a more attractive price! Abracadabra...which shell is the pea under! Think you're getting a great price... better carefully inventory your gun box...and "Buyer Beware"!

From the Mark III manual on Ruger's website.  I don't believe the Hunter is considered a Target Model.  You may wish to call Ruger and/or check the manual that came with your pistol.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR ATTACHING
THE SCOPE BASE

(Target Model Only)

1. Remove the filler screws from the top of the receiver.
2. Degrease the screw holes in the receiver.
3. Degrease the scope base screws.
4. After the degreased areas are dry, place a drop of blue LOCTITE
adhesive/sealant or equivalent to the scope base screws.
5. Set the scope base on the receiver with the side notch aligned with the
ejection port of the receiver.
6. Install the scope base screws and tighten.
7. Set the assembled pistol aside overnight to allow the adhesive to set up.

I
Is your gun drilled, tapped and have the flush fitting screws? If so then I would imagine it probably came with the rail and screws. Call Ruger and let them know what's happening. Odds are they will make it right for you and check into the whole "remove accessories to lower prices" BS.

I have a hard time believing that's the case, the rail and screws don't come in retail ready packaging, nor do extra magazines, unless they are ordering from a distributer without these items, its bull crap, they lost the stuff and don't want to own up to it.

Losing the stuff wouldn't upset me at all, stuff happens. Lying about in hopes of me going away and calling them would really piss me off. I'd rather be told "I don't know and there's not much I can do about it" than be lied to.

All above are reasons I gladly wait an extra week or two and spend just a bit more from a real gun shop, I know in your case there were other factors beyond budget, but things like this separate those that sell guns because they want too, and those that sell guns because people buy guns.

Send me a pm if Ruger and/or Academy refuse to make this right for you. It'll take some time as I have to locate it but I'll give you my rail if I can find it, I don't use it and it sounds like you had plans on running an optic.

From the Mark III manual on Ruger's website.  I don't believe the Hunter is considered a Target Model.  You may wish to call Ruger and/or check the manual that came with your pistol.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR ATTACHING
THE SCOPE BASE

(Target Model Only)

1. Remove the filler screws from the top of the receiver.
2. Degrease the screw holes in the receiver.
3. Degrease the scope base screws.
4. After the degreased areas are dry, place a drop of blue LOCTITE
adhesive/sealant or equivalent to the scope base screws.
5. Set the scope base on the receiver with the side notch aligned with the
ejection port of the receiver.
6. Install the scope base screws and tighten.
7. Set the assembled pistol aside overnight to allow the adhesive to set up.

I

Cannoncocker, thanks for your reply. I have called Ruger, but it looked like I was going to be "on hold" for a long time... on my nickel, so I left a message. By the way, on the left side of my receiver it has RUGER in large letters...then, .22 cal. Long Rifle, then under that  -Mark lll Target-. And, the top of the receiver is drilled with three plug screws installed. I just think it is misleading to advertise a gun at a lower price than your competitors, and then accomplish that by removing the scope rail and mounting screws, or one of the mags, or possibly have a cheaper set of grips on it. Any vendor could do that...can you imagine your Chevy dealer asking if you would like to have tires and wheels with that model!

My Instruction Manual has the same instructions as yours... and my gun was built a couple of months ago...08-01-2013. Personally, I was just shopping for the best retail price, and didn't think I would have to give up a $25 scope rail to do it. I feel what was done was legal... but not very ethical...but, it's my fault I didn't notice it missing until after I got it home. Thus my rant..."Buyer Beware"! Academy Sports may not be the only one doing it... others probably do it too, sadly.

Is your gun drilled, tapped and have the flush fitting screws? If so then I would imagine it probably came with the rail and screws. Call Ruger and let them know what's happening. Odds are they will make it right for you and check into the whole "remove accessories to lower prices" BS.

I have a hard time believing that's the case, the rail and screws don't come in retail ready packaging, nor do extra magazines, unless they are ordering from a distributer without these items, its bull crap, they lost the stuff and don't want to own up to it.

Losing the stuff wouldn't upset me at all, stuff happens. Lying about in hopes of me going away and calling them would really piss me off. I'd rather be told "I don't know and there's not much I can do about it" than be lied to.

All above are reasons I gladly wait an extra week or two and spend just a bit more from a real gun shop, I know in your case there were other factors beyond budget, but things like this separate those that sell guns because they want too, and those that sell guns because people buy guns.

Send me a pm if Ruger and/or Academy refuse to make this right for you. It'll take some time as I have to locate it but I'll give you my rail if I can find it, I don't use it and it sounds like you had plans on running an optic.

TrickyNicky, thanks for your response and offer. As far as Academy Sports in Smyrna, I'm pretty sure it's over. I have called Ruger, and after getting put in the "on hold" que, I left a message with all of the details. I haven't heard from them yet...I just did this a couple of hours ago.

My guess is that someone took the scope rail because it is anodized aluminum, to match the stainless barrel and frame. Don't know why though...as I believe they're both the same price... aluminum or blued.

Thanks again, I'll be happy to pay you for yours, if it comes to that. It was very nice of you to offer, but I was raised to pay my way, even though it is very generous of you to make the offer. Greatest people in the world own guns...and are on this site!

I bought 3 new Ruger MK III's in the past 18 months.  All 3 were drilled and tapped.  Only the Mark III that was a target model came with a scope base and screws.

Did you buy them from Academy Sports in Smyrna? My MK lll is stamped "Target" on the left side of the receiver. The right side is stamped "MKlll HUNTER" in bigger letters.

When I bought my Mark III Hunter from Whittakers a few years back it came with the scope rail.  I think they still do.  I would call the manager at Academy and have a nice conversation with him.  If they are taking components out of a gun to make it cheaper, I think they are going to have "big" issues with vendors.  That is just complete BS as far as I am concerned.  If Academy in Smyrna doesn't fix it, I would go to Corporate.  

I think Ruger will take care of it for you, but that is just unacceptable on Academy's part.

Guest TankerHC
One other thing is that Academy has an every store policy. Before you walk out of the store they are supposed to call up a manager. The manager re-inspects all paperwork. Last thing he/she should confirm is that you have inspected the firearm to your satisfaction and informs the buyer of Academy policy that once you walk out the door its yours. No returns and any issues you gi to the manufacturer. If they didn't do that then that would be in error.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I would agree, if the gun should have a rail and if wasn't in the box Ruger should make it right. I had a bad magazine and Ruger cs sent me a new one with a return label to send the other back. They will ask for the serial number of the gun so have it handy.
I would also explain what the store told you about it not being included. Be polite with the customer service rep and they will make it right.
  • Like 1

Is Academy selling rails and screws in non factory zipper bags?   I find it hard to believe they would pull them out to lower the price unless they were selling them separately, which would be easy to verify.  Have you seen your missing rail and screws for sale at Academy? Why else would removing them have any effect on the price?

I think that either.

1)  Your model does not come with it

2)  Ruger forgot to include it in box and will probably send you ones for free if this is the case.

It would be easy to verify the problem by contacting Ruger.   No offense, but with all the effort you have spent calling Academy and typing out in this thread you could have been off hold with Ruger, or if you are worried about wasting minutes on your cellphone, just email them. 

Edited by Tennjed
  • Like 1

Did you buy them from Academy Sports in Smyrna? My MK lll is stamped "Target" on the left side of the receiver. The right side is stamped "MKlll HUNTER" in bigger letters.

The blued MKIII I have has the same stamping on it. Mine was acguired in a trade, but it did have a little bag with a short rail and screws with it. The orgional owner had bought it to use as a trail and hiking gun, but decided it was too nice looking to scuff up while hiking.  

So we did a little dealing. I have several Ruger 22 models. They all look "pretty," but they all get shot. And sooner or later, mine, if not all of them, will get some dings in it.

Update to all, and thanks for your response. This was my very first time to enter the doors of any Academy Sports store. It was my first dealings with this chain. I bought the gun and walked out after all of the paperwork.

I called Ruger CS and left a voice mail. I also sent them an email, so hopefully I'll know something early next week. I can handle it either way, if it was supposed to have a scope rail, they should make it right...if not, I guess I got what I paid for. It'll just be one of those things that I wish had turned out differently. There'll be no hard feelings toward Academy Sports, nor Ruger.

I took the gun out this afternoon and shot it. I ran about 100 rounds through it without a hiccup. I threw everything at it, old ammo, new ammo, some brands that were not supposed to feed well through semi-automatics...you name it...it never missed a beat right out of the box. It handles ammo much better than my MK lll 22/45 Target model. I hope I get to use it for what it's designed for...a little small game hunting this winter. Santa came early!

Thanks to all who commented with their concerns for me.

Not all Rugers that are drilled an tapped come with a scope base. I have had two in the last 3 years that did not come with bases but they are ALL drilled for them.

As far as calling Ruger on your dime you should be able to get through in a few minutes. I have called them dozens of times and never ahd what I would consider a long wait.

Not all Rugers that are drilled an tapped come with a scope base. I have had two in the last 3 years that did not come with bases but they are ALL drilled for them.

As far as calling Ruger on your dime you should be able to get through in a few minutes. I have called them dozens of times and never ahd what I would consider a long wait.

Dolomite, thanks for your response. I would imagine that possibly all of the new manufactured MK llls are drilled and tapped these days. So, your point is well taken.

In the fog of trying to get to the right person to straighten this out for me, I don't remember exact details, but think I was informed there was heavy phone traffic, and that I was number three. That's when I decided to leave a message. Reasoning that my problem might take a while to resolve, and such could be the case with the other two.

Off topic: Go Vols against S. Alabama!

I am generally number 2 or 3 when I have called. And I drop down a place every repeat of the recording that takes about a minute. So at #3 you are probably on the phone less than 4 minutes before they answer. They can tell you, based on serial number, what left the factory with your gun.  You will, without a doubt, know what they are going to do before you get off the phone. They are not going to spend a lot of time trying to resolve the issue if they can do it quickly.

I have called Ruger probably 30 times in the last 18 months.

I am generally number 2 or 3 when I have called. And I drop down a place every repeat of the recording that takes about a minute. So at #3 you are probably on the phone less than 4 minutes before they answer. They can tell you, based on serial number, what left the factory with your gun.  You will, without a doubt, know what they are going to do before you get off the phone. They are not going to spend a lot of time trying to resolve the issue if they can do it quickly.

I have called Ruger probably 30 times in the last 18 months.

Dolomite, thanks for the information about Ruger's customer service call in service. I'm a cheapskate and have only 450 minutes per month on my plan. I didn't want to burn a big chunk of them "on hold" with Ruger customer service. But, if you're saying it only takes 4 to 5 minutes to get through, I'll give it another shot. Thanks.

• Like 1

Dolomite, thanks for the information about Ruger's customer service call in service. I'm a cheapskate and have only 450 minutes per month on my plan. I didn't want to burn a big chunk of them "on hold" with Ruger customer service. But, if you're saying it only takes 4 to 5 minutes to get through, I'll give it another shot. Thanks.

I bought a Ruger SR556 back during the big AR-15 shortage. It was supposed to come with flip up sights. I didn't realize until after I left the store that the sights weren't in the box. I called Ruger and the sights were in my mailbox within 2 days, no questions asked.

Update... Just got off the phone with Ruger in Prescott Arizona. Matt checked my serial number, and model number, and said it left the factory with a scope rail and screws. He took my address, and said they were sending me the scope rail and screws. My wait time on the phone was zilch. I think the secret to getting right through is to not press any of the numbers, and let their operator come on. She heard my brief story and sent me immediately over to customer service and Matt. Excellent resolution to my problem...absolutely a first class operation.

Now...about Academy Sports... I had not one but at least two people that told me the scope rail did not come with the gun. Shame on Academy Sports! Yes, they are big and an attractive store... but honesty and integrity means far more to me than the furnishings and shinny trappings. +1 for Ruger, - 1 for Academy Sports.