Anyone a Jeff Beck fan?

Raoul

Hell Yes!

Jeff Beck. Eric Clapton. Stevie Ray Vaughn. Mark Knoppler. Chet Atkins. Roy Clark. Just a few of the great ones. In no particular order.

Damn. These guys have hands and fingers like I do, but I sure can't make mine do the things like them. 

Yeah, I know....years, and years, and years with a guitar glued to them. That's how.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 2
I really respect JB, and I've tried many times to "get into" his stuff... I have Guitar Shop and some other album. I'm just into heavier stuff I guess. Though, I find myself becoming more and more of a Strat man, so maybe that'll change! Heck, I'm thinking about selling off my vintage Ibanez guitars, and a PRS SE Semi Hollow and buying another Strat or two.

I will say this, though, there are not many people in the world who can work a trem like him!

I know he's long out of date with most folks, but I got to see Roy Clark once in a small show with Chet Atkins. Now I really love Chet, but when he got into the guitar and doing a sota "dueling guitars" with Chet, Roy did a couple of Jeff's tunes. It was awesome. 

Somebody, somewhere surely has audio and video of that night. Would be incredible to see it again. 

Huge Jeff Beck fan here. Like Chester and Lester, Roy, Knopler etc. pretty much Hipowers list plus some others.

Some if my favorite work by Beck was his tribute to Les Paul a few years back. There may be better guitarists than Les Paul but his was a very unique style and tone, very hard to nail down and get just right. Jeff really nailed it with his takes though.

Hell Yes!

Jeff Beck. Eric Clapton. Stevie Ray Vaughn. Mark Knoppler. Chet Atkins. Roy Clark. Just a few of the great ones. In no particular order.

Damn. These guys have hands and fingers like I do, but I sure can't make mine do the things like them. 

Yeah, I know....years, and years, and years with a guitar glued to them. That's how.

+1
Guest Bassman17SC

Hell Yes!

Absolutely a Jeff Beck fan.

But you forgot David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, and Vince Gill in your list.

Edited by Bassman17SC
Guest Lester Weevils
Yeah I liked JB with the yardbirds back when, and later efforts.

In the 1970's era with instrumental albums such as "wired", I couldn't ordinarily stand to listen to that because it was too nervous and fatiguing to endure. It was well done music but had an "annoyance factor" similar to mahavishnu orchestra.

However, when I was on the road-- Driving all-night between gigs, there wasn't anything better than Beck to help out that n-th cup of coffee. An hour before sunup, put the pedal to the metal and crank up Jeff Beck to 11.

Absolutely a Jeff Beck fan.

But you forgot David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, and Vince Gill in your list.

Don't disagree with you. All very good. Just these were the ones that came to mind for me. Not trying for a "best" list. That's way too subjective for me to try and put together.

Incredible talent. Not my cup of tea, but very talented.
I prefer the same technical super-quality but less bluesy more heavy.

Get a chance, check out Erik Calderone or Marc Rizzo.
Erik goes by 331Erock on youtube. The guy is ....well, just watch him.
Guest Bonedaddy

Along with Hendrix, Gilmour, Rhoads and a few select others, Beck is and has always been one of my favorite players. His touch on the bar and volume knob are unparalleled. For a long time, as a kid playin' geetar, his version of Cause We Ended As Lovers was always my favorite piece to play and Goin' Down was my top road trip song. Like Hendrix and Gilmour, he has a very soulful touch to his phrasing.

Guest Lester Weevils

Here is an old Yardbirds album, 1966, that was Jeff Beck all the way thru as best I can tell. Sonny Boy Williamson commented on the Yardbirds "Those English kids want to play the blues so bad—and they play the blues SO BAD!" But they were a seminal group famous for good geetar players. In addition to Jeff Beck, Clapton and Page got their start with the outfit. I liked em warts and all. Saw em live in 1966 in a small auditorium in Valdosta GA of all places. Was confused expecting Byrds folk rock but Yardbirds was completely different. Man those guys were the first LOUD band I saw live. Beck was playing a Fender Jaguar thru a hopped-up Vox 2-12 amp, probably an AC-30. He had it setting in a chair to get it up in the air for feedback, and the gain was cranked so high he had to stand 20 feet away from the amp to keep it from squealing like a microphone between songs.

Somehow Beck sold that amp to a south-eastern local band called The Candymen, and they would only turn on the amp to play heavy numbers. The amp was so over-biased high gain that it had a habit of burning up if left turned on for long periods. Those fellers some of them eventually became the Atlanta Rhythm Section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EOltvNRCmY

Guest Lester Weevils

Yep, Wired and Blow By Blow were great product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wxzgXKJaSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdwzXnWa_x4

Edited by Lester Weevils
For me I'd have to go Truth and Beckola. I like wired and blow by blow ok but those two for me showcase an interesting period with his stuff. He's getting incredibly proficient, yet he still hasn't gone completely guitarded. Also the only two albums I think written with commercial success in mind, and done well at that.
  • Like 1