Dallas County Now Has Its Very Own Bulletproof, "Mine-Protected" Military SUV

Guest nra37922

The government gives municipalities that fill out the right forms FREE surplus items. it can go from a filing cabinet to laser guide rangefinders. I read a couple of weeks ago in the News Sentinel about a little town in Ga with one part time police officer that files the forms religiously. He has received 3 boats and scuba gear {There is no water within 30 miles of the place}, a pallet of bayonets, and a laser guided rangefinder from a attack helicopter....I don't think they are planning an armed takeover of Dallas county. That's was just one of the freebies up for grabs

Guest nra37922

Great idea for one.  New pizza deliver business specializing in deliveries to da'hood and other high crime areas.  Put money in one side and get the pizza from the other.  Wonder how the Dominos sign would look on it?

I have no problem with PDs having the tools necessary to keep them safe so long as it isn't violating anyone's rights. Cops get shot at. The likelihood of being shot at increases with armed standoffs. Vehicles like this allow police to approach a very dangerous situation without being exposed. I want the folks who are charged with enforcing the law to have the tools they need to do their job safely. I don't see the problem here.
  • Like 2

Exactly with WHOM are they preparing to go to war?

Pelosi uses that same argument in regard to owners of ARs and AKs.

I'll let you in on a little known secret: these things aren't designed for war. I realize that was the application they were used for, but they were designed for survivability so that we had less US men and women coming home in pieces. They suck as offensive vehicles. If departments wanted vehicles of war they'd get some tracked APCs or tanks. The vehicle here can be taken out by the average hobbyist with access to $10, a half gallon of gasoline, a couple boxes of matches, 12V battery source and speaker wire. You likely have all the components in your house to remotely mobility kill this vehicle with about an hour's worth of instruction. If the government suddenly decides to start rounding us up into Red Dawn camps using these vehicles, they're in for a world of hurt.

I wasn't attempting to argue; just asking a serious question.

Well the answer would be no one. In my opinion, if the option exists for a department to have armored protection I'm all for it. The only reason I would be against it is cost to the taxpayer. I think it would make sense if county departments had these things so they could lend them to the cities if need be, as opposed to a city hogging one that remains in their jurisdiction. If these are vehicles that can be acquired at little to no cost because the tax payer already bought them, then I see no problem.

Now I want one. I just want to keep up with uncle sam.

And if you can afford one I think you have every right to own one too. I actually have a buddy who purchased an armored SUV years ago that was shipped back from Iraq. In my opinion people should be able to own tanks and fighter jets if they want.... in fact, in pretty sure there are some rich folks that do.
  • Like 2
Guest nra37922

The so-called 'War on Drugs' has almost destroyed this country.  Look where the half-a$$ drug policies has led us, crazy gangs and gang warfare, ruin lives, insane amount of money being made illegally thus fueling the gangs, the police having to become quasi-military, trampling of civil liberties, etc. 

Either we need to get real serious, and real draconian, on this 'War', or call a truce and figure out how to co-exist....

Hell, I don't blame the PD's for wanting this armor, they need it to stay alive in some of the areas they need to travel.  I'm just scared on where we are going to end up as a country.

Edited by nra37922

I am proud for them because it cost them little to have. It's not big enough for water cannon. Couldn't carry enough water, but a 37 MM anti Tank gun on it would be nice along with a  mini-gun. As for the gangs and drugs. About a year ago I was asked a question of would I surrender my guns if the dictator to be passed a law requiring it. My reply was if they can disarm all the gangs in LA country, Chicago Illinois, New York city and Miami and prove to me that they were able to do that I might give them one of my guns. Way I got it figured it would take them at least 20 years just in L.A. and blood would fill the flood sewers in L.A. and they still would never get them all so I would not be worried about having to surrender my 1 gun.............jmho

And if you can afford one I think you have every right to own one too. I actually have a buddy who purchased an armored SUV years ago that was shipped back from Iraq. In my opinion people should be able to own tanks and fighter jets if they want.... in fact, in pretty sure there are some rich folks that do.

Yes.

[URL=http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/gjohnsoniv/media/2013-08-18155933_zpsf054287a.jpg.html]2013-08-18155933_zpsf054287a.jpg[/URL]

I'll put some more up later.

We can't buy MRAPS, sorry...

There was a rouge general that released approx. 120 +/ Humvee to the public back in the 90's, it will never again.

Here's a sad situation that just happen

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6501732&convertTo=USD

Well, it is their property so I guess they can do with it as they please until told otherwise by Congress.  Nothing is stopping the manufacturers from selling direct to the public though.  You just don't see a lot of folks with tanks and armored vehicles because they're cost prohibitive.  There are folks out there though.

Guest nra37922

Would be another great pizza delivery vehicle.....

There's an untapped marketplace in da'hood and other locations.  Nobody deliveries 'jack' to those locations so maybe 'Armored To Go' would be a great business model.  Course the delivery fee is going to be steep and we don't accept crack or ass.

Any Obama stimulus money still available?  Better yet make it a Minority Owed small business and get government perks, cannot be racist if owned by a black female of native American descent......

Edited by nra37922

Well I know where there's a Sherman tank, so if #### ever hits the fan.. I know where to up armor.. might not go anywhere, but at least know where there's armor..

Lol, I can't quote anything text book, but I'm pretty sure the Sherman had little to no armor. They won because of sheer numbers.they rolled out TONS of those things. The germans tigers, panzers etc. Were so tough that the sherman guns couldn't phase them unless it was a hit to the rear. But for every Sherman they killed, there were another 5 rolling off the assembly line.

***edit*** Oh, my point here being....if you're looking for something to protect you from modern armor piercing and explosives, I wouldn't shack up in a Sherman :D Edited by NoBanStan

Explosives? Aren't those already controlled?  :rofl:

That's one area, then there's a a few uparmored HMMVV TEMS close to 100 Oaks mall.. But in the long run, I think I want to be very mobile (fast moving mobile) or out of urban areas..  :shhh:

Well, it is their property so I guess they can do with it as they please until told otherwise by Congress.  Nothing is stopping the manufacturers from selling direct to the public though.  You just don't see a lot of folks with tanks and armored vehicles because they're cost prohibitive.  There are folks out there though.

What doesn't make sense you can buy complete running HEMTT/PLS, HET and Duce's on GL, but no V's can be sold.

I own a H1 that came off the same assembly line, AMG will not sell me a Humvee part, if I order a Vee p/n the order will be canceled, more then half of the parts are interchangeable.