Need info on the Bauer 25auto

Mykltn

I've been considering adding a Bauer 25 auto to my collection. Who has had experience with these pistols and what did you like and dislike about it. Also does anyone know of any shops around Nashville that have one in stock. I've only seen them for sale on Gun broker and would like to handle one before committing to purchase. Thanks in advance.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Collections are funny things, but wasn't the Bauer a stainless, but otherwise exact copy of the Baby Browning?  I think I'd go for the original.

I was looking to carry the Bauer as a backup to my backup. Every pistol I own (except my Buckmark) is a carry gun. I am not a fan of safe queens and I fear an original Baby Browning would become just that.
  • Admin Team

Gotcha.  I'm still on the fence.  Maybe if I could find a Bauer .25 in the sub-$100 range instead of the $200ish range they seem to be priced at.  By the time I spent $200, I'd be rationalizing another $100 for a 1960's produced Baby Browning and carry it with pride.

Gotcha.  I'm still on the fence.  Maybe if I could find a Bauer .25 in the sub-$100 range instead of the $200ish range they seem to be priced at.  By the time I spent $200, I'd be rationalizing another $100 for a 1960's produced Baby Browning and carry it with pride.

I'd be interested in knowing where you are finding Baby Brownings in good condition for $300.
  • Admin Team

These are in about the condition I'd expect of a 60's era gun:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=369270680

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=368847036

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=369639121

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=369817731

I'm sure you can spend a lot more on one in really good condition.  Seems like most that I see are shooters in similar condition to this, though.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=369270680
$349 is the current bid, not the sale price. Buy it now is $499. Hardly a $300 gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=368847036
$399 is the starting bid. Again, not a $300 gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=369639121
A $319 gun that needs a complete refinish and new grips. Not a $300 gun in good condition, and certainly not a gun you could carry with pride in its current condition.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=369817731
A $339 gun in very poor condition. Rust, significant finish wear and looks like someone used the ass end as a hammer. Again, not a $300 gun in good condition.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but price point is one of the reasons I am interested in the Bauer. Reviews I've read are very favorable towards the Bauer's fit, finish and reliability. The $200 to $300 price for one in very good condition also makes it very attractive over the $500 to $900 price I've seen for comparable Baby Brownings. I appreciate the suggestion of the Baby Browning, but at this point (for the reasons stated) I'm just interested in the Bauer. Edited by Mykltn

Colt makes a 25ACP that is twice the gun a Bauer is
Its cool to have a cheap 25 but its even cooler if its a Colt

Yes, a Colt vest pocket in very good condition is cool. But please see above post about safe queens. I want the Bauer as a back up to my back up. I want it for carry not the cool factor. Colt vest pocket/Baby Browning= expensive, cool, classic, collectable guns you don't want to damage. Bauer 25 auto = inexpensive, reliable, quality, deep concealment gun I won't worry about getting holster wear on. Please, I appreciate your opinions, but I'd like to get them on the Bauer only. I'm not looking for alternatives or suggestion of what you might think is a better gun. I'm just looking for first hand experiences from folks who have owned or shot the Bauer and any info on where one might be locally.

I have and carry a Bauer, I picked it up from another site, bout 200 is what I paid for mine.

PIA to reload, but with a mold and powder tickler it is doable.

About the only draw back, it only holds 6+1.

Colt vest pocket/Baby Browning= expensive, cool, classic, collectable guns you don't want to damage.

Since somebody else hasn't done this, I guess it's up to me: technically, (Colt Vest Pocket) / (Baby Browning) actually equals (Clt Vest Pocket) / (Baby Brwning) or (Colt Vest Pcket) / (Baby Brwning).

Pedants gonna pedant. :yuck:

Since somebody else hasn't done this, I guess it's up to me: technically, (Colt Vest Pocket) / (Baby Browning) actually equals (Clt Vest Pocket) / (Baby Brwning) or (Colt Vest Pcket) / (Baby Brwning).

Pedants gonna pedant. :yuck:

And there is probably a reason someone else didn't.

I have and carry a Bauer, I picked it up from another site, bout 200 is what I paid for mine.
PIA to reload, but with a mold and powder tickler it is doable.
About the only draw back, it only holds 6+1.

Having the proper mold is everything.

I still don't see how you get them little buggers in and out of the press. I'd have them slung in the trash.
I have a couple Bauer .25 pistols. While the fit and finish is not as good as the baby Browning, the stainless steel construction makes it a better carry pistol. Most baby Brownings that have been carried much have finish wear and rust unless they were meticulously cared for...that won't be a problem with the Bauer and as the OP already knows, the cost on the Bauer is a lot less too.
Colt vest pocket, Baby Browning and Bauer are all John M Browning designs. The Bauer is just the most affordable and the one I'd least feel bad about abusing in my change pocket or glove box. Plus PSA still makes parts for the Bauer.
Got the Bauer today from my local FFL. Gun looks very good for a 30 something year old pistol. It makes my micro desert eagle look like a full size pistol. I already hate the pearl grips so that's getting changed first. Also managed to score 150 rounds of 25acp from my local walmart. Will be spending at least 50 of those on a range visit soon. Will post a range report after.

Got the Bauer today from my local FFL. Gun looks very good for a 30 something year old pistol. It makes my micro desert eagle look like a full size pistol. I already hate the pearl grips so that's getting changed first. Also managed to score 150 rounds of 25acp from my local walmart. Will be spending at least 50 of those on a range visit soon. Will post a range report after.

Hey, if those pearl grips don't have the usual screw hole cracks or any other damage, would you be interested in trading for a set of the original wood checkered grips? Both of my Bauers have the wood grips and I'd like to have one with the pearl grips.

Hey, if those pearl grips don't have the usual screw hole cracks or any other damage, would you be interested in trading for a set of the original wood checkered grips? Both of my Bauers have the wood grips and I'd like to have one with the pearl grips.

I'd be interested in that as long as the wood grips are in very nice condition. The pearl grips on mine look to be in great shape. No cracks or blemishes.