Winchester white box 22lr

Guest tnrich

Took some white box 22lr out to shoot today and my Marlin 60 didn't like them.  Kept hanging up, getting stuck.  I had about 6 or 8 tubes run ok, most didn't.  I also ran some Remington super sonics and federals.  Both of these ran through without a hitch.  We got to looking at the winchester ammo and it had rough uneven spots all over it.  No wonder it kept hanging up.  Anybody else noticed this?

Rich

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Winchester 555 count .22, in both red and white boxes, are about the worst I've ever shot, even worse than the previous iteration of Rem Golden Bullets.

I even got what was apparently bad run of the M22, which most folks swear by.

- OS

Last year my dept bought a bunch of WWB target for open range, in-service, etc. It was awful. We were getting so many defective rounds that they started asking us to hand them over to the range staff and keeping a tally. Needless to say, they got rid of it and didn't purchase any more.

I run these in my 10/22 and it has never had a hiccup.

Last night we ran ~300 between my daughter and myself. The 10/22 and the revolvers ate them up with no issues, her single shot rifle had a misfire every other shot. They all shot on the second try though.

I am wondering if they just have a harder rim than some others?

I had one 500ish box recently -- using random brands of whatever I can find.  It worked fine in my mark 2.  I dunno if that means hard primers or good/bad lots due to bad quality control or whatever else it could mean, but every round fired & cycled for me.  I preferred it to the goldpaint rem actually...

My 552 Speedmaster has feed issues with most any unjacketed lead bullet.  They jam up when loading a new round and it mashed the bullet enough that it's useless.  It aggravating, but I've learned to look for only bullets with some coating or just live with it. 

I agree with the quality control/rush issue. When inspecting the bullets that were getting hung up and
wouldn't load, they were buggered up pretty good. Thanks for the comments.
Rich

I agree with the quality control/rush issue. When inspecting the bullets that were getting hung up and
wouldn't load, they were buggered up pretty good. Thanks for the comments.
Rich

That or its the "good enough" problem.  Beat up, angled and otherwise sub-par .22 rounds will feed and work find in a lot of guns --- many .22s have relaxed tolerances so they work with junk ammo.   Then you put that stuff in a tighter gun and it fails every which way...  my wife's overpriced 10-22 won't take a malformed round, it will slam the bullet into the side of the chamber and bend it 30 degrees every time.  It works 100% on high quality ammo, but the slightest thing and it not only misfeeds but trashes the offending round.   I can hand straighten and fire the rounds in mine -- it will shoot anything that remotely resembles a .22 round. 

Sounds to me like what you guys are saying is that a "brick of WWB" is really that-- just a "brick" and not good for much else...might make a good doorstop though.

Atm, even with things slowly starting to recover,  most places still have 1 brand in stock (if any)  and its take it or leave it.   Ive had nothing but goldpaint for most of this year, and I hate that stuff, but its that or pay $100 a box to gougers or do without.  One box of this stuff and one box of american eagle is the only variety I have had.

Edited by Jonnin

Atm, even with things slowly starting to recover,  most places still have 1 brand in stock (if any)  and its take it or leave it.   Ive had nothing but goldpaint for most of this year, and I hate that stuff, but its that or pay $100 a box to gougers or do without.  One box of this stuff and one box of american eagle is the only variety I have had.

I know where you're coming from. the great .22 drought of 2013 caught a lot of folks with their pants down, since in the past .22 has pretty much always been like BB's and .177 pellets-- relatively cheap and easily available.

Not so much anymore.

I'm glad I was ready this time around.

Edited by tartanphantom

The 22lr industry has been hammered so bad recently that they are not putting out much of anything that is quality these days but yet selling it at a premium price and people are buying it. If folks would leave it on the shelves for a while they might get the message that we won't buy junk they might do some changing to making better ammo..........jmho